PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing .deb packages

nuveena
March 5th, 2011, 10:54 PM
How can I install this package correctly.
used ubuntu 10.10
I downloaded gramps_3.2.5-1_ubuntu10.deb in other computer. I copied it to desk top of my computer. Then I write code sudo dpkg -i gramps_3.2.5-1_ubuntu10.deb

I have a message

nuveena@ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg -i gramps_3.2.5-1_ubuntu10.deb
[sudo] password for nnnnnnn:
dpkg: error processing gramps_3.2.5-1_ubuntu10.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
gramps_3.2.5-1_ubuntu10.deb
nuveena@ubuntu:~$

How can I install this package correctly.

jeremyjjbrown
March 5th, 2011, 10:57 PM
You should just be able to launch a .deb from Nautilus. You don't need to access it from the terminal. Just double click it. It should do the rest or it's probably corrupt.

nuveena
March 5th, 2011, 11:34 PM
What is Nautilus. I am new to Ubuntu.
Thanks

wojox
March 5th, 2011, 11:38 PM
When your in the terminal you need to cd Desktop and move to that directory and run your commands again.

beew
March 5th, 2011, 11:45 PM
If you just right click it it the software center should show up and offers to install it, but I prefer to use gdebi to install deb files by right clicking (much faster than SC for less overhead). Since gdebi is no longer installed by default you have to install it using Synaptic first.

If you want to use the command line like you did you have to get to the folder where the .deb file is before you run the dpkg command.

So if you save the file on the desktop you have to first

cd Desktopnote the capital D. Without that Ubuntu assumes the file is in Home/username and you get the error message because the file is not there.

(if you save the file in another location you would have to change to that location first, like cd Downloads, etc. But if you save the file in Home/username then you don't have to issue any cd command because the file is already in your default directory,--cd means change directory)

EDITED: Just saw that WOJOX already pointed out you forgot the cd command.

jeremyjjbrown
March 6th, 2011, 12:08 AM
What is Nautilus. I am new to Ubuntu.
Thanks

Nautilus is Gnome's version of explorer.exe, it's how you browse your files and folders in Ubuntu.

nuveena
March 7th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks all of you .you wasting your time for me.

jeremyjjbrown :D
wojox :D
beew :D

nuveena
March 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM
If you just right click it it the software center should show up and offers to install it, but I prefer to use gdebi to install deb files by right clicking (much faster than SC for less overhead). Since gdebi is no longer installed by default you have to install it using Synaptic first.

If you want to use the command line like you did you have to get to the folder where the .deb file is before you run the dpkg command.

So if you save the file on the desktop you have to first

cd Desktopnote the capital D. Without that Ubuntu assumes the file is in Home/username and you get the error message because the file is not there.

(if you save the file in another location you would have to change to that location first, like cd Downloads, etc. But if you save the file in Home/username then you don't have to issue any cd command because the file is already in your default directory,--cd means change directory)

EDITED: Just saw that WOJOX already pointed out you forgot the cd command.
So much Thanks for you . I learn lot of things about ubuntu. :lolflag:

nuveena
March 7th, 2011, 04:08 PM
When your in the terminal you need to cd Desktop and move to that directory and run your commands again.
Thank you so much .:lolflag: