PDA

View Full Version : no 3D cube

SilverGhost29
March 5th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hi.
Running Ubuntu Netbook remix on a Toshiba NB500-upgraded to 2 Gigabytes RAM.

Very slow opening applications via the side icons. 8-12 seconds. Is that normal for this distro?

2) No 3D cube. Installed related compiz software, adjusted settings, ticked cubes etc. Not a peep.

3) No direct desktop access. Only via side icons. Just find it fiddly re: using desktop and changing background via side icons.

Couple other items (MBB for one) but for another category.

BUT.....I LOVE Linux already and wish I had changed years ago.

tommywright
March 5th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Click "Folders" on the left bar and up in the top right (when that opens) there is a little folder button that will open a normal nautilus folder. Pin that to your left bar.

Unity (that side bar thingy) is very slow but if you pin the apps you use most often over there, they actually run quickly (just the Unity stuff is slow).

As for your cube... your netbook's 3d might not work with the composite thingy... mine doesn't. That takes a more powerful 3d card from what I understand.

SilverGhost29
March 7th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Hi tommywright,

Many thanks. Tried the tip re: left folder but afterwards I get no little folder up the top right. But I will dig and find out why not. If I get it come up I will be sure to pin it! So, many thanks just same ok.

As for 3D cube, well it sure doesn't want to play. I can get the water effect, the blur, the trail, but can I get the cube? No Siree. Not a peep, so you are very likely spot on for that item too.

Ah well, not the end of the World I guess. I changed to Linux completely, recently, and the important thing is that I did so and that most things are working perfectly. The cube would just have been the icing on the cake! :-))

Thanks again.

tommywright
March 7th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I was wrong about the button.. I looked when i got home. Just open your home folder and pin it to the side bar.. that will make your life a lot easier. As you run programs you'll want to use often, just pin them to that sidebar. I never ever use the Unity "Folders" thing. It's pretty much worthless.

My netbook has an intel graphics card that works very well but isn't powerful enough to do the super cool effects like cube or wiggly windows. I'm guessing you have the same kind of thing. I'm amazed at what the little thing CAN do considering it's a little Atom.

SilverGhost29
March 9th, 2011, 04:08 PM
No worries about the 'missing' button. Easy done.

Thanks very much. Yes pinning seems best workround. Sidebar looks cool but bit fiddly & long time for most icons to open.

Had an Acer Aspire One, AOD260, until recent...someone else dropped a washing machine on it (funny now :-) but not then). Got wobbly / wriggly effect on that-by amending preferences-but no cube. First effect was heart attack time as I moved a window.... and the sides wobbled when I wasn't expecting it...

On this Toshiba I installed everything I found which said Compiz, 3D, special effects to get some effects-but no cube. Have taken off extra items now as it was huffing a lot. Fan has much easier life now too.

Yes, guess for design Atom does a good job. Better than I expected anyway. Never foresaw the issues with 'oversized' windows in OS desktop versions though. That was a prime reason I changed from the initial install of MM 10.10 desktop version I had.

What type of Netbook is yours then?

Copper Bezel
March 9th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I'm on a 1.6Ghz Atom and two gigs of RAM, and I don't have any problem with desktop effects. I've never had any problem with the Cube when I've been bored enough to enable it, and I have transparent menus with Alpha Blur, Scale, involved window animations, etc.

What's your version? Unity briefly lost desktop icons for 10.10.

The Desktop Cube (which is pretty but essentially useless) isn't available in the Unity interface, which is built around the (more useful) Desktop Wall and Expo desktop switchers, a pair of plugins that conflict with the Cube. The Cube should still work in a Desktop Edition session, which you can always log into from the login screen.

tommywright
March 9th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I have an older Acer Aspire. A150 I think it is. It's actually the most used computer in my house surprisingly. I bought it to put AROS (Amiga operating system) on but could never get the wireless to work so I went to Ubuntu netbook 10.10 and love that little thing.

I use it for surfing and playing retro Amiga games.

SilverGhost29
March 11th, 2011, 12:04 PM
retro Amiga games eh? I used to have an Amiga 500Plus.....which came with Lemmings! Notice that Pingus in Linux seems similar....

As for Ubuntu Netbook, well that's gone down mega style. Booted up last night and logged in at the log in screen fine. But what followed instantly was a clear white screen. No interface at all. Nothing. No function key usage. No command line terminal call up. No help featurte. No error message. Nothing at all. Couldn't do any th ing with it. Repeated boots resulted in same. Tried reinstalling and it wouldn't install fro any of the discs I tried to install Ubuntu, lubuntu, kubuntu, edubuntu, opensuse, Pclinux, from. They failed with an error message stating: initramfs no media file detected (which I am taking to be that it now wont recognise the external dvd drive as a valid install device). Tried usbs and it didn't recognise those either.

Yet, amazingly, it accepted and installed Mandriva. I do not understand that. So I had to install that. It installed fine-in the hopes I could get beack to internet and download Ubuntu or Mint. But Mandriva wont link to the internet wirelessly now so thats me out until I can get a driver to it.

So i am down now. using library computer for an hour only.
Many thanks tommywright and I will get back to you eventually...when I get the netbook up and running again! Lol! All goes to make a day eh?