PDA

View Full Version : iOS jailbreaking

Jagoly
March 5th, 2011, 05:33 PM
If you have an idevice, is it jailbroken? I just can't wrap my head around the idea of a Linux user with an un-jailbroken iPod/iPhone/iPad.

Also is there anything that can properly sync with these devices on ubuntu?

johntaylor1887
March 5th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I sync my ipod touch with gtkpod. Much easier to use than itunes. And no, it is not jailbroken. I see no point in it, since I only use it for podcasts and mp3's.

Jagoly
March 5th, 2011, 05:39 PM
So i'll assume that can't sync apps?

johntaylor1887
March 5th, 2011, 05:50 PM
So i'll assume that can't sync apps?

Maybe I'm i-tarded, but what do you mean by sync apps?

Hur Dur
March 5th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Maybe I'm i-tarded, but what do you mean by sync apps?

Store apps on iTunes, so the next time you sync, they will still be on your iPod. I'm pretty sure it only applies to syncing with iTunes, though.

@Topic: I've jailbroken mine 4 times, and I've jailbroken my sister's twice.

Jagoly
March 5th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Jb list (yes I'm quite proud):
My old second gen iPod touch: 2.2.1, 3.0, 3.1.2, 4.0, 4.1
My current 4th gen touch (using right now): 4.1
My friends iPod 2nd gen, 3.1.2, then he did 4.0 and 4.1 himself
My other friends 3rd gen touch: 4.1
" " iPhone 4: 4.2.1
" " iPad: 3.1.2, 4.1
A display iPhone 4 at the telstra shop (shhh): 4.1 demo
A display 3GS at the same telstra shop a year earlier: 3.0 demo

Sorry if I'm bragging, but, well, I'm so awesome.

Jagoly
March 5th, 2011, 06:23 PM
@Hur Dur:
Do you know c++ and python?
Off topic I know, but, well, it's my topic.

Hur Dur
March 5th, 2011, 06:30 PM
@Hur Dur:
Do you know c++ and python?
Off topic I know, but, well, it's my topic.

Some Python, some C++. Not enough to where I could consider myself knowledgeable.

Jagoly
March 5th, 2011, 06:37 PM
What's python like? I know a bit of c++.

Hur Dur
March 5th, 2011, 06:50 PM
It's pretty much English in the beginning, and remains that way until you get into things like gtk. It's good for applications like text editors, web browsers, and other simple programs that do not need a lot of speed. Although, if you already know C++, I recommend you just keep going with that, because it is a much more powerful language, although it is harder to learn. Python is pretty much for people who want to develop programs quickly. There are programs that simplify making GUI applications with Python, like QT Designer, and Quickly. So, overall, if you're making programs that don't rely too much on speed to get the job done, I recommend Python. If you're making a game or something similar, C++.

RiceMonster
March 5th, 2011, 07:39 PM
My iPhone is not jailbroken. I doubt I'll jailbreak it before the warranty is up.

|{urse
March 5th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package unfunny-package-manager-joke
:o

mamamia88
March 5th, 2011, 08:15 PM
i jailbreak anything assuming it's easy enough. might as well get the most functionality possible out of devices you already own. don't own anything from apple though. i refused to buy overpriced mp3 players and their desktop os isn't that great in my opinion

Jagoly
March 6th, 2011, 07:21 AM
i jailbreak anything assuming it's easy enough. might as well get the most functionality possible out of devices you already own. don't own anything from apple though. i refused to buy overpriced mp3 players and their desktop os isn't that great in my opinion

I did do that. Until I attempted to jailbreak my ps3 (hope no-one from stupid Sony is reading this :)). I bricked it strait to hell. I probably won't bother replacing it, I didn't play it much anyway.

Macs and OSX are stupid. One of the MacBook pros, at $1700 is equivalent to my laptop, which was $980. The only good thing about them is that ther unix based.

To call real iDevices (iPod touch, iPhone) overpriced mp3 players is a sin. 8% of the time I spend on my iPod is music. I watch movies, program c++ code, use it to browse Internet (ubuntu forums right now), play some of the best games I know, play all of my gba games that were sadly lost to the airport (I am very anti-piracy, it's why I started using Linux in the first place), use mocha vnc to control my laptop, take notes for school, skype, taking videos, and heaps of other things that would take days to list.

DO
NOT
CALL
MY
IPOD
AN
OVERPRICED
MP3
PLAYER.

EVER.

KiwiNZ
March 6th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I did do that. Until I attempted to jailbreak my ps3 (hope no-one from stupid Sony is reading this :)). I bricked it strait to hell. I probably won't bother replacing it, I didn't play it much anyway.

Macs and OSX are stupid. One of the MacBook pros, at $1700 is equivalent to my laptop, which was $980. The only good thing about them is that ther unix based.

To call real iDevices (iPod touch, iPhone) overpriced mp3 players is a sin. 8% of the time I spend on my iPod is music. I watch movies, program c++ code, use it to browse Internet (ubuntu forums right now), play some of the best games I know, play all of my gba games that were sadly lost to the airport (I am very anti-piracy, it's why I started using Linux in the first place), use mocha vnc to control my laptop, take notes for school, skype, taking videos, and heaps of other things that would take days to list.

DO
NOT
CALL
MY
IPOD
AN
OVERPRICED
MP3
PLAYER.

EVER.

Please remember this section of the Code of Conduct

"Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them."

Jagoly
March 6th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I love apple. I spend he majority of my life on my iPod. Also when I said that macs are stupid, I was referring to the price. I would almost call my post an iPod advertisement.

Dr. C
March 6th, 2011, 06:55 PM
.. (I am very anti-piracy, it's why I started using Linux in the first place) ...

Actually being anti piracy is a very strong reason to jailbreak an iPhone or iPad. If one wants to run applications such as VLC, GNU go etc., on these devices without condoning copyright infringement it is the only way.

I am also strongly opposed to software piracy and make no distinction if the software being pirated is FLOSS or propriety.

mamamia88
March 6th, 2011, 07:00 PM

DO
NOT
CALL
MY
IPOD
AN
OVERPRICED
MP3
PLAYER.

EVER. i won't call you ipod an overpriced mp3 player. but i paid $70 for my 8gb sansa fuze and it has a micro sd card expansion. i would never use half the functions you listed. the same capacity ipod touch is $200

Spr0k3t
March 6th, 2011, 09:58 PM
If I had an iwhat device... it would be either broken or jailbroken... depending on how annoyed I become with the device in question would lend to which direction it would go.

juancarlospaco
March 6th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Be careful because Cisco will sue you...

Dustin2128
March 6th, 2011, 10:11 PM
coding C++ on an ipod? Augh! *scrapes eyeballs out with a butterknife*

beetleman64
March 6th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I don't have an iThing, but I don't think I would jailbreak it, but instead place it on a velvet cushion and fondle it every day. Erm...anyway, I probably wouldn't.

Cam!
March 6th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I've been using iDevices since 2007, and as the months progress, I find less reasons to jailbreak. All Apple needs to do is implement a fast Network toggle, and the top reason to jailbreak (SBSettings) will become useless.

Jagoly
March 7th, 2011, 12:52 AM
coding C++ on an ipod? Augh! *scrapes eyeballs out with a butterknife*

Ok, it does suck. Only because of the lack of syntax highlighting. I really just use it to make my friends say cool. It's not the the keyboard, I can type faster on my ipod than my computer. I spend 30% of my life on the thing.

I've been using iDevices since 2007, and as the months progress, I find less reasons to jailbreak. All Apple needs to do is implement a fast Network toggle, and the top reason to jailbreak (SBSettings) will become useless.

Sbsettings?! The biggest reason to jailbreak? Perpostorus! Everyone knows that the biggest reason to jailbreak is the Pokemon SBSettings theme (made by some crazy dude nicknamed Jagoly), and the recently submited Pokeretina SBSettings theme.

Also the emulators from grandmaster ZodTTD.
And SBRotater.
And my 8 icon dock.
And safari download manager.
And ifile,
And making your iPod sound like a chicken when you turn it on.

Hur Dur
March 7th, 2011, 12:55 AM
The only reason to jailbreak is to play Quake.

Jagoly
March 7th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Can't belive I forgot quake (slaps self in face)!
Quake4iphone!!!

Jagoly
March 9th, 2011, 12:10 PM
No... My thread is dying...