PDA

View Full Version : Qimo 4 kids

cblnchat
March 5th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I would like to know more about Qimo 4 kids. I dont have kids but i have some young cousins and id like to set something up for them on a usb stick or on a cd. Is it possible to use a USB stick or memory card?
Also can i get some opinions about Qimo 4 kids?

Thanks

XubuRoxMySox
March 7th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Last time I looked into it, it was looking great! Based on Xubuntu, it's super simple, yet fully featured and a superb OS for little kids! We even had a special day where abuncha people built some 'puters out of spare parts and stuff, loaded them with Qimo and shipped them off to a couple of schools. I'm sure the project is still active and doing the same awesome job they were doing a year ago!

cblnchat
March 7th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Last time I looked into it, it was looking great! Based on Xubuntu, it's super simple, yet fully featured and a superb OS for little kids! We even had a special day where abuncha people built some 'puters out of spare parts and stuff, loaded them with Qimo and shipped them off to a couple of schools. I'm sure the project is still active and doing the same awesome job they were doing a year ago!

Is there an age limit for kids to use it? And can it be booted from usb?

XubuRoxMySox
March 8th, 2011, 03:54 AM
http://qimo4kids.com

No age limit. Alot of adults use OpenOffice for Kids too, because it's uncluttered, simple, and still as powerful as the "adult" version.

Qimo4Kids has the little cartoon character and stuff it it, but it's still built on Xubuntu so it's awesomely customizable for kids of any age. Adults too. That web site is still active and quite informative. Check it out!

-Robin

hreichgott
June 27th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Anyone know if the qimo4kids.com website is going to be back up sometime?
I installed Qimo for my daughter last week just using the Ubuntu repository, but it would be nice to have the web site available as a reference. It's been down for at least a week.