PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have any experience with Solaris?

cptrohn
March 5th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Just wondering how difficult Solaris is to use and learn? I know it's an Oracle product.... I could have a chance with a company that uses Solaris....

themarker0
March 5th, 2011, 04:26 AM
The paid version? I played with it once. Had no succuss with it getting it working.

Khakilang
March 5th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I play with Open Solaris 2008 once but without internet its hopeless and slow on older machine.

stmiller
March 5th, 2011, 04:53 AM
For a large part of history Sun Solaris was the 'Apple' of the *nix world. If you wanted to run Solaris, you have to purchase Solaris hardware, under a Solaris support contract.

They eventually made an x86 version probably due to competition from Linux and perhaps others like AIX.

If you know your way around Linux, Solaris is not too hard to become familiar with.

cptrohn
March 5th, 2011, 02:47 PM
OK thanks a lot everybody.... I might go to oracle's site and see if I can download their open source version to see about getting familiar with it. (and hopefully I can get that job!)

LowSky
March 5th, 2011, 03:16 PM
http://www.illumos.org/

oracle and open solis dev didnt get along and that was the result... all the solaris fun, non of the oracle nonsense
slairs isnt that bad. most of the commands are the same that you used in linux... mostly

toupeiro
March 6th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Worked with solaris for years. It is an amazing server OS, but not sure what kind of mileage you are expecting as a fully functional desktop OS.