PDA

View Full Version : Firefox4 RC is out!

mikewhatever
March 5th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Yey! I was beginning to have doubts Mozilla will ever make it.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/4.0rc1-candidates/build1/linux-i686/

pi3.1415926535...
March 5th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I think I will try it, though I am likely to continue using Chrome as my primary browser.

Thank you

kevdog
March 5th, 2011, 03:40 AM
I use FF -- however does anybody really care anymore? I just bleh on the entire topic of browsers.

BigCityCat
March 5th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Firefox 4 is fast. Looks great and still has the best add ons.

Quake
March 5th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I'm using firefox 4 and I have to say... It's not fast as Chromium and Opera 11 in rendering web pages. It's kind of disappointing, really.

BigCityCat
March 5th, 2011, 03:52 AM
I'm using firefox 4 and I have to say... It's not fast as Chromium and Opera 11 in rendering web pages. It's kind of disappointing, really.

HMMM, I'm not experiencing any of those problems.

mikewhatever
March 5th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Ok guys, please, this is not intended to be Firefox4 vs ...
Live and let live!

jerenept
March 5th, 2011, 04:18 AM

Try it in a non-Linux O/S, or, use the NVIDIA drivers. You'll get hardware acceleration.

Quake
March 5th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Try it in a non-Linux O/S, or, use the NVIDIA drivers. You'll get hardware acceleration.
I enabled hardware acceleration in linux ( by adding" MOZ_GLX_IGNORE_BLACKLIST=1" before firefox-4-0) and it works, animations are SMOOTH. But Since Linux is my main OS, I want it to be fast at rendering webpages. I'm using the Nvidia drivers.

For example: When I click on a link in arstechnica.com, Chromium and Opera renders it instantly and does not freeze. Firefox 4 on the other hand, takes a bit more time to render the page, then when you see it, the page is frozen until it completely draws it.

Btw, I'm not trying to render this thread into versus, just stating my experience.

RiceMonster
March 5th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I'm really impressed with Firefox 4 so far. I'm glad the final release is getting close.

NightwishFan
March 5th, 2011, 07:42 PM

Whatever you say.. :rolleyes:

Sounds awesome, I really should upgrade to 4, but I might wait for Natty.

_outlawed_
March 5th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I tried FF4, and I hated it. It was slow for me, and I couldn't double click or right click to open a new tab like I do A LOT on FF3.

Spice Weasel
March 5th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Lovin' it. I've been on it since the early betas, and even that was x100 faster than FF3. Nifty new features too.

If you have problems, PLEASE report them to the devs. Help them get it done quicker.

Frogs Hair
March 5th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I try Minefield from time to time , the las time was a week ago . Will I see any noticeable changes in Minefield due to the RC release ? I have the daily PPA , so it's a sudo apt away.

mamamia88
March 5th, 2011, 09:01 PM
if i am running minefield 4.0 and had all the upgrades will i be running rc?

Quake
March 5th, 2011, 11:12 PM
This is my PeaceKeeper (http://clients.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action )benchmarks of the three browsers I use.

NightwishFan
March 5th, 2011, 11:22 PM
:popcorn:

Wanna start a chrome vs firefox vs mac os x vs canned peaches thread?

mikewhatever
March 6th, 2011, 01:17 AM

Certainly looks like it, and I am gonna have to ask mods to close this one.

Quake
March 6th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a Versus thread. I was just disapointed by Firefox 4's performances because I'd rather use Firefox and wanted others to test their browsers to see if the performance problem lied with my Ubuntu setup.

smellyman
March 6th, 2011, 01:43 AM

peaches ftw

jerenept
March 6th, 2011, 03:01 AM
I tried FF4, and I hated it. It was slow for me, and I couldn't double click or right click to open a new tab like I do A LOT on FF3.

Really? You couldn't double-click, or right click like you normally do? I've been using FF4 since Beta 4 and the mouse usage has always been exactly the same as 3.6.

peaches ftw

yes.

Frogs Hair
March 6th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I try Minefield from time to time , the las time was a week ago . Will I see any noticeable changes in Minefield due to the RC release ? I have the daily PPA , so it's a sudo apt away.

I answered my own question , no Minefield hasn't changed visibly in a week . I have removed Namoroka for the first time and intend to use Minefield until 11.04 comes out .

MisterGaribaldi
March 6th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Cool, I'll be getting it directly, then.

@OP: I know what you mean about FF4 and Mozilla. I was beginning to feel the same way.

@kevdog: Interesting avatar. Is there a story behind the squirrel and the Chris Single cap?

Lucradia
March 6th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Please don't say RC is out when it isn't. Wikipedia says it's "set for release on March, 9th", the mozilla website doesn't list RC anywhere either. Further, your link in the opening post says rc1-candidates, which doesn't mean that it's a finalized RC1, since an RC1 candidate means that it's one of many candidates to be released for RC1, and not the final RC1.

jcolyn
March 6th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Please don't say RC is out when it isn't. Wikipedia says it's "set for release on March, 9th", the mozilla website doesn't list RC anywhere either. Further, your link in the opening post says rc1-candidates, which doesn't mean that it's a finalized RC1, since an RC1 candidate means that it's one of many candidates to be released for RC1, and not the final RC1.

Here it is... It hasn't been officially released but here is a link..

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/4.0rc1-candidates/build1/linux-i686/en-US/

mikewhatever
March 6th, 2011, 06:36 AM

Oh common! Are you trying to be extra picky or what? Believe what you want, but for me, it's out because I am running it, yes, even though Wikipedia says something else.
Curiously enough, it's not labeled as an RC at all, but rather as the final release.

Lucradia
March 6th, 2011, 07:37 AM
even though Wikipedia says something else.

It's not just wikipedia.

chriswyatt
March 6th, 2011, 12:25 PM

The title of this thread should be "Firefox4 RC RC is out!"

gradinaruvasile
March 6th, 2011, 12:48 PM
The title of this thread should be "Firefox4 RC RC is out!"

That is what i was thinking...

I seems Firefox 4 borrowed a bit much from other browsers as far as the UI goes ( for example tab animations, sidebar, "Firefox" menu, tabs-over-address-bar are clearly inspired from Opera and Chrome).
And it is still heavier than any of its counterparts (see it on a low end machine how it performs) and it isnt that fast either. It seems it starts to run out of steam.

Linye
March 6th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I want to try it but it seems I'll have to wait. I'm on a Rig right now and the internet sucks.

For me, flash performance has been better in FF than in Chrome.

Lucradia
March 6th, 2011, 04:08 PM
For me, flash performance has been better in FF than in Chrome.

In linux, it's the other way for me. Chrome has better support for flash, especially when it comes to sound stability. I actually have to use HTML5 though to completely abolish the glitchy sound I have when playing youtube videos. But youtube and other places where they use a player to play a movie file (dailymotion, etc.) are the only places where the glitchy flash sound occurs, no where else does it happen (IE: Newgrounds, homestar runner, etc.)

jcolyn
March 7th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I downloaded the RC1 .tar.bz2 last night and extracted it to a folder in my /home directory. I then made a launcher on my desktop to launch it from the extracted folder.

It has been working without a hitch and is far faster than Firefox 3.

I have not encountered any stability issues nor has it refused to open any websites..

My question now is once it is officially released will it update Minefield to Firefox 4 or should I uninstall Minefield and install the .tar.bz2 file??