PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu docks

cblnchat
March 5th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Ive been trying out a bunch of docks for ubuntu 10.10. And i have one i really like, Avant window navigator (AWN), but id like to hear ppls opinions on the various other docks, and your preferences for setups and troubleshooting. At the moment im having major issues with my computer so it might take me a while to get back about trying things out, but thanks for posting! ):P

Btw the poll is just random :lolflag:

Edit: For which ever one you choose, plz tell why. And if you choose other plz explain which one you like better than the options. Thanks very much

kerry_s
March 5th, 2011, 12:38 AM
i use the ppa version of awn, it just works great.

pi3.1415926535...
March 5th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Personally I like Docky because it is simple, clean and efficient. I have tried Cairo Dock, even though it has many more features than Docky, it is to complicated, clunky and inneficient. I have not really tried any of the other docks.

Breambutt
March 5th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I like Cairo because it's so full of silly typos.

The last I tried AWN it was horribly heavy, clumsy and very limited. Gnome Do seemed a bit of an oddball there, wouldn't really want to compare it with the "regular" docks. Docky I haven't tried.

Not really a top priority, even though I need a highly customizable dock. Cairo will do for now.

kerry_s
March 5th, 2011, 02:07 AM
I like Cairo because it's so full of silly typos.

The last I tried AWN it was horribly heavy, clumsy and very limited. Gnome Do seemed a bit of an oddball there, wouldn't really want to compare it with the "regular" docks. Docky I haven't tried.

Not really a top priority, even though I need a highly customizable dock. Cairo will do for now.

gnome-do & docky where together, awn never had gnome-do, so i'm guessing you played with gnome-do.
gnome-do & docky are now separate projects, each a stand alone app.

jerenept
March 5th, 2011, 02:13 AM
other, A.K.A Unity Springboard.

P.S, not in 10.10, in 11.04. It's really been greatly improved.

kungpo
March 5th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Same as in OSX I only use docks for launching apps/folders and clearing wastebin so no fancy featured dock is needed just something simple easy and stable.

kn0w-b1nary
March 5th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Docky looks better IMO, and it has the feature I want.

Jogga484
March 5th, 2011, 02:41 AM
After trying Simdock and Docky, I've finally settled on AWN. It works well in Lucid but it's a bit flaky in Karmic! :)

cblnchat
March 5th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Personally I like Docky because it is simple, clean and efficient. I have tried Cairo Dock, even though it has many more features than Docky, it is to complicated, clunky and inneficient. I have not really tried any of the other docks.

I agree. Docky is very simple. And cairo dock is so complicated. I cant really figure out how to change the zoom of the dock! Its really annoying cause they get so big. But i ended up staying with AWN cause its also really simple and ive had absolutely no problems with it yet!

Quadunit404
March 5th, 2011, 03:18 AM
AWN. Does everything I want it to.

rvchari
March 5th, 2011, 03:20 AM
i am currently using AWN trunk to be specific.
i started with docky, then tried cairo (i was awed by its frills and cosmetics) but now i ve settled with AWN-trunk and that ll be final as of now till something better pops up !

false truths
March 5th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I have AWN trunk, Docky, Glx-Dock, and Gnome DO on my computer from experimentation, extended use of each one, and testing the use of multiple ones at once. I currently use none of them. I have a DockBarX applet on a panel oriented to the left.

Out of the common docks, though, I definitely prefer AWN trunk with DockBarX. DockBarX definitely helps me a lot with productivity.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
March 5th, 2011, 03:30 AM
AWN because it's got the total panel replacement features that I require.

treesurf
March 5th, 2011, 03:57 AM
AWN because it's got the total panel replacement features that I require.

Same here. Plus I have Gnome-Do running as well. The combination is great.

I do miss the days when Docky and Gnome-Do were integrated, though...

cblnchat
March 5th, 2011, 04:07 AM
i am currently using AWN trunk to be specific.
i started with docky, then tried cairo (i was awed by its frills and cosmetics) but now i ve settled with AWN-trunk and that ll be final as of now till something better pops up !

Whats AWN trunk?

treesurf
March 5th, 2011, 04:09 AM
It's the latest version under development, and can be installed via a PPA which can be found at the AWN website.

Copper Bezel
March 5th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Whats AWN trunk?

I think I suggested installing the PPA when I talked you into AWN over in DEs, so I think it's the version you have. = )

Out of the common docks, though, I definitely prefer AWN trunk with DockBarX. DockBarX definitely helps me a lot with productivity.

A thousand times this. I used Cairo Dock along with a top Gnome Panel for about a year, Mac-style, but for all its bewildering options and widgets, Cairo Dock can't do half of what AWN can. DockbarX, for its part, is just an incredibly intuitive and complete way of managing tasks. I used to keep my panels on auto-hide and basically ignore them, but now I keep them visible because they're actually useful. = ) (I'm doing the Unity thing, lefthand Launcher and upper-right overhanging systray. It really does simplify my life, as it were.)

BrokenKingpin
March 5th, 2011, 05:15 AM
DockBarX

cblnchat
March 5th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I think I suggested installing the PPA when I talked you into AWN over in DEs, so I think it's the version you have. = )

Ahh. Ill have to go about getting that again since i had to reinstall ubuntu. :lolflag:
Edit:I just reinstalled AWN via the Software center so i could get things back to normal faster lol

Spr0k3t
March 5th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I prefer other... specifically no dock at all... without gnome-do. But then, I'm just one of those old school habits die hard kind of guys.

cblnchat
March 16th, 2011, 06:48 AM
DockBarX

How do you work DockBarX? I cant install it in AWN. And whats it supposed to do? Is it another dock altogether? And can it support wireless connections? Thats the only reason i still use the GNOME top bar is cause i cant find any other way to find wireless signals with AWN or anything else.

Thanks

el_koraco
March 16th, 2011, 09:16 AM
docky is the best dock application ever invented.

treesurf
March 16th, 2011, 09:59 AM
How do you work DockBarX? I cant install it in AWN. And whats it supposed to do? Is it another dock altogether? And can it support wireless connections? Thats the only reason i still use the GNOME top bar is cause i cant find any other way to find wireless signals with AWN or anything else.

Thanks

I'm not sure about 10.10, but in Ubuntu 10.04 if one goes into the Preferences of AWN, under the Applet tab add a Notification Area to the dock. Network Manager applet will now appear on the dock.

rvchari
March 16th, 2011, 10:04 AM
AWN - without any doubt....
i ve tried docky cairo but i ve come back to gu ol'AWN.... for its simplicity and custumization...

Spice Weasel
March 16th, 2011, 12:39 PM
None. Bloody docks. **** 'em.

Random_Dude
March 16th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Cairo-Dock.

I used to use AWN, but then gave Cairo-Dock another try.
It's harder to configure, but for some reason it's faster on my computer (on startup), and behaves much better than AWN.

Cheers :cool:

nothingspecial
March 16th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I do miss the days when Docky and Gnome-Do were integrated, though...

I don't, I thought the whole point of gnome-do was to not need any panels or docks or icons.......

XubuRoxMySox
March 16th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I'm an Xfce fan, and IMO the Xfce panel is simpler, prettier, and more functional than a dock. I have two panels. One on top that has only the taskbar and is invisble unless I mouse over it, and one on the bottom that has launchers for my favorite apps and some way-kewl li'l goodies like the weather applet and an analog clock and stuff. Who needs a dock when the Xfce panel (with "goodies") is so much cooler and simpler?

-Robin

Copper Bezel
March 16th, 2011, 03:37 PM
It's kind of a false distinction. Cairo Dock and AWN can both be set up to look and work like panels, both have all kinds of applets available (like the weather applet), and AWN can have multiple panels. You can get the classic Gnome two-panel layout out of AWN.

cblnchat: Yeah, just add the Notification Area and Indicator Applet to get your system tray back. I switched to AWN specifically because it had them.

RiceMonster
March 16th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I don't, I thought the whole point of gnome-do was to not need any panels or docks or icons.......

No, not necessarily...

Whistling Nixie
March 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Although I'd voted Docky here, I've just turned my back on docks.

[Edited to add:] Ha, I've returned to Docky now!

BrokenKingpin
March 16th, 2011, 07:40 PM

Thanks

DockBarX is an entirely different dock than AWN. The best part about it is that it is just a normal gnome panel applet, so you can keep the rest of your panel applets.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/dockbarx-gnome-taskbar-applet-with-groupping-and-group-manipulation.html#more-10545

Rasa1111
March 16th, 2011, 07:44 PM
AWN (trunk) all the way! <3

got everything i need/want, looks best , most options, works great, even on my old, slow PC's, ..
AWN is great.

cblnchat
March 16th, 2011, 08:09 PM
DockBarX is an entirely different dock than AWN. The best part about it is that it is just a normal gnome panel applet, so you can keep the rest of your panel applets.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/dockbarx-gnome-taskbar-applet-with-groupping-and-group-manipulation.html#more-10545
Ohh. Ok, lol i didnt know that. Thanks.
So is it possible to get a wireless applet on AWN? Cause if i could do that i could just start using AWN without the need for the GNOME panel.

Rasa1111
March 16th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Ohh. Ok, lol i didnt know that. Thanks.
So is it possible to get a wireless applet on AWN? Cause if i could do that i could just start using AWN without the need for the GNOME panel.

Yep.
network applet (same as in top panel) is in AWN.
wireless/ethernet.

cblnchat
March 16th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Yep.
network applet (same as in top panel) is in AWN.
wireless/ethernet.
I cant find it in the applets menu in the AWN settings area? What did you do to get it?

cblnchat
March 17th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Although I'd voted Docky here, I've just turned my back on docks.
Why'd you turn your back on docks?

Copper Bezel
March 17th, 2011, 03:50 AM

As most folks using AWN will tell you, DockbarX works quite nicely as an AWN plugin, too, and the best part is that you get to keep the rest of your dock applets. = ) You just need to have awn-applet-dockbarx installed (along with DockbarX.)

cblnchat, you're looking for Notification Area and Indicator Applet.

cblnchat
March 17th, 2011, 03:59 AM
As most folks using AWN will tell you, DockbarX works quite nicely as an AWN plugin, too, and the best part is that you get to keep the rest of your dock applets. = ) You just need to have awn-applet-dockbarx installed (along with DockbarX.)

cblnchat, you're looking for Notification Area and Indicator Applet.

Ok. But when i try to start notification area applet it says "There is already another Notification Area running on the screen! Please remove the existing notification area and then restart the applet."

Copper Bezel
March 17th, 2011, 04:05 AM
That's because you're still running the one in the panel. = ) Take the Notification Area off the Gnome Panel, then restart the applet in AWN.

Rasa1111
March 17th, 2011, 04:21 AM
That's because you're still running the one in the panel. = ) Take the Notification Area off the Gnome Panel, then restart the applet in AWN.

Yep,
What copper bezel said.

You need to remove the one you've already got going in your panel.

Then add the one to AWN, and itll start right up.

cblnchat
March 18th, 2011, 02:58 AM

ohh! lol thanks! I can finally not use the GNOME panel!! :D:D

MooPi
March 18th, 2011, 03:02 AM
wbar ftw. Simple low resource dock.

Lucradia
March 18th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Docky, as it's much more smooth, and crisp and faster.

Rasa1111
March 18th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Docky, as it's much more smooth, and crisp and faster.

than what? lol

AWN is fast and smooth as can be, even on my old machines!
(like 8+ years old) :D
and uses barely any resources.

Lucradia
March 18th, 2011, 03:21 AM
than what? lol

AWN is fast and smooth as can be, even on my old machines!
(like 8+ years old) :D
and uses barely any resources.

Than AWN and cairo. I've had a lot of glitches and slowdowns with both AWN / Cairo in comparison to docky. They may not have used much resources; but docky is still faster.

Rasa1111
March 18th, 2011, 03:31 AM
interesting..
I couldnt even get docky to run on my main "old machine" mentioned previously. AWN is great on it though.

Guess it's all relative.. lol

racie
March 18th, 2011, 06:08 AM
AWN Lucido + GNOME Do!

Xantheil
March 18th, 2011, 06:41 AM
I basically love AWN. But this (http://half-left.deviantart.com/art/URBAN-Docky-Theme-188552448?offset=10#comments) is just too tempting!

cblnchat
March 24th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I basically love AWN. But this (http://half-left.deviantart.com/art/URBAN-Docky-Theme-188552448?offset=10#comments) is just too tempting!
Woah!! Thats really cool looking! Kinda makes me wanna look more into Docky! :lolflag:

Rasa1111
March 24th, 2011, 06:53 AM

looks like any other plain old docky dock to me.
Which i could easily achieve in AWN.

Copper Bezel
March 24th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Yeah, I don't ... get it. Set AWN to 3D, set the colors to match, turn corner radius to 2 and thickness to 7, then drop on the custom icons. Um.

Rasa1111
March 24th, 2011, 07:17 AM
lol yep. ;)

beew
March 24th, 2011, 08:04 AM
When do you think the Unity dock will be as nice looking?

I would prefer Awn or the Cairo Dock over the Unity bar, but unfortunately there is no way to remove the Unity dock.On the other hand two docks would be too much. So this is one reason why I would use the classical desktop with Natty if I were to upgrade (but I won't). Not that I like the gnome panel.

Copper Bezel
March 24th, 2011, 08:20 AM
I've been putting together a quick tutorial on how to get a Unity workflow out of AWN in the Classic Desktop for that reason. It's not so much that AWN is objectively better looking as that Unity has a very specific philosophy about how it should look and work. Still, AWN has a hell of a lot to offer.

spupy
March 24th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Can I still use Gnome-Do as a dock? I can't find it in the options?

ctrlmd
March 24th, 2011, 01:07 PM
cairo dock ! non-replaceable

wewantutopia
March 24th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I use panels. With many apps, short cuts, and a custom drop down menu for accessing the other computers on my network.

Not a fan of docks.

slackthumbz
March 24th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Tried AWN, Docky and Cairo dock, but ended up with AWN ppa version. It's got all the plugins and applets I need and the customisability is unbeatable :)

treesurf
March 24th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Can I still use Gnome-Do as a dock? I can't find it in the options?

No. Gnome-Do and Docky are separate projects now. Although you can still run them in conjunction if you like.

Copper Bezel
March 25th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I put up that tutorial (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10598012#post10598012) for AWN I mentioned earlier, if anyone's curious.

Rasa1111
March 25th, 2011, 04:33 AM
I put up that tutorial (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10598012#post10598012) for AWN I mentioned earlier, if anyone's curious.

Nice, thanks.
i just installed dockbarx for my AWN a little while ago..
been trying to figure some things out, maybe this will help. lol :)
cheers

23dornot23d
March 25th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I use Cairo Dock ....... but was wondering if I could use AWN on dual monitors ..... twinview

When I started it up it appears on the wrong desktop screen ..... ( not on the Primary one )
? is there a easy way to change this :confused: first time I have used this so be kind if its simple to alter ...... and I may become a AWN user too .....

Cairo Dock ... ( Appears in the middle of the two screens ..... which is actually more useful )

Was //// sticking with Cairo-dock for the time being ..... Docky and AWN may allow me more customisation in twin view ......

Ok got it ...... AWN starts up on the second screen ( no idea why but its ok ) and DOCKY starts up on primary ( Solution )

Run AWN and DOCKY and I have one on each screen , probably eats more resources than needed ..... but at least its a quick solution to a problem I have had with Cairo .... as well as the shutdown button in CAIRO no longer working after installing KDE ......