PDA

View Full Version : Android Questions, SFTP/Nautilus?

rajan
March 4th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I am looking for a few things to make my android look more like my linux computers. I don't like a lot of the things that android does, particularly the things that restrict MY access to MY phone (ubuntu spoils me).

specifically, i was hoping to find applications that would allow me to SFTP/FTP into a server to transfer data. I understand that there are a lot of good options, but other than the command line and gftp, i haven't used anything else.

also, is there a good filesystem browser in the android market, like nautilus is for ubuntu?

TIA

MisterGaribaldi
March 4th, 2011, 11:25 PM
AndFTP for ftp/sftp, Better Terminal Emulator for a terminal app, Dolphin HD for web browsing, Root Explorer for file browsing (you'll need root for this, of course), Tor for general secure surfing...

Cracklepop
March 5th, 2011, 01:13 AM
File Expert file browser: http://www.appbrain.com/app/file-expert/xcxin.filexpert

Use as an FTP server or SMB client.

treesurf
March 5th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I prefer Miren for browsing, but the above area all good options. I'll also mention SwiFTP as a cool app that allows you to run an FTP server from your phone over a wifi network.

I didn't know there was Tor for Android, thanks for that tip.

rajan
March 5th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks much for the ideas. I was also wondering about the wisdom of rooting my droid. If any of you have rooted yours, can you send me the link that you followed? Many of the pages on the net are older and possibly invalid. On this subject, have any of you "bricked" your phones?

elliotn
March 5th, 2011, 10:59 PM
go to xda-developers.com there u will get all guides including rooting

rajan
March 12th, 2011, 01:22 AM
go to xda-developers.com there u will get all guides including rooting

great site ... thanks for all replys