PDA

View Full Version : [other] CLI = no ~/folders ?

KazaRgr
March 4th, 2011, 09:58 PM
hello all,i just finished my CLI (command line install) with openbox as WM (no DE) and thunar for file manager & i just noticed that in my home folder there is NONE of the usual folders (downloads, documents etc..) was that supposed to happen or i epic-failed on something?

ps: if i am supposed to create them myself, can anyone gimme their default names in english? i dont remember all the folders. xD

ps2: the laptop makes a really annoying n loud bEEEP when i cant backspace anymore in terminal or things like that + the monitor has gone really dark after i woke up the monitor for first time, any ideas? :/ may i add that i havent installed most core apps yet (power-manager, etc..)

Thnx in advance,
alex.

KazaRgr
March 5th, 2011, 02:07 AM
/bump & cry :(

urukrama
March 5th, 2011, 01:26 PM
hello all,i just finished my CLI (command line install) with openbox as WM (no DE) and thunar for file manager & i just noticed that in my home folder there is NONE of the usual folders (downloads, documents etc..) was that supposed to happen or i epic-failed on something?

Nothing to worry about. Just create those folders yourself, either through the file manager of your choice, or from the command line with mkdir DIRECTORY_NAME

The beep is normal too. To disable it, follow these instructions: http://blog.wolffmyren.com/2008/10/20/disable-ubuntu-system-beep/

KazaRgr
March 5th, 2011, 02:47 PM
thank you mr. urukrama :) your OB guide is also extremely useful.
may i ask and something else, my ubuntu always has the bad habbit to show more ram being used than is really being used, e.g it shows 400mb ram but if u add all the running processes, it goes about half ~200mb :/ is there anyway to fix that so i can know the real amount that is being used?

-- aw aw and something last, there's something wrong with my synaptic, it wont let me write in the "Quick Search" field, which is really annoying and weird o.O

urukrama
March 6th, 2011, 12:31 PM
thank you mr. urukrama :) your OB guide is also extremely useful.
may i ask and something else, my ubuntu always has the bad habbit to show more ram being used than is really being used, e.g it shows 400mb ram but if u add all the running processes, it goes about half ~200mb :/ is there anyway to fix that so i can know the real amount that is being used?

I don't know how you view your memory usage, but the difference might be in RAM used and cached (which will be higher). You can use the command free -m (in a terminal) to get a more detailed view of your actual current RAM usage.

urukrama
March 6th, 2011, 12:32 PM
And as for the Synaptic problem, I suggest you start a new thread for that. Your problem might get more attention that way.