PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partition question

Dakayonnano
March 4th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Hey guys,

I'm installing ubuntu for the first time on my computer and I am installing it alongside Windows 7. When I get to the partition phase, I'm not sure whether I should manually specify the partitions (or how I should if I should) or use the automatic "Install alongside other operating systems" option.

Could someone please help me a bit?

Thanks =D

Edit: Oh, and if it helps, I'm installing from USB.

Hakunka-Matata
March 4th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Do you have your windows install backed up? Do you have a recovery disc in case something goes wrong with the Ubuntu install? And what Release Ubuntu are you installing? Please.

Dakayonnano
March 4th, 2011, 09:44 PM
The version I am installing is 10.10, and I have the disk that I used to install windows with, and my files are saved on an external HDD.

Hakunka-Matata
March 4th, 2011, 09:47 PM
then go ahead and use the 'install along side other operating system', but after selecting that option, go straight to 'continue', ignore the 'use entire disc' and 'use entire partition' choices. If you want to adjust partition sizes later, fine, don't attempt to do it here, now though.

Dakayonnano
March 4th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Thank you very much! =D

Santolman
March 4th, 2011, 10:20 PM
then go ahead and use the 'install along side other operating system', but after selecting that option, go straight to 'continue', ignore the 'use entire disc' and 'use entire partition' choices. If you want to adjust partition sizes later, fine, don't attempt to do it here, now though.
Hey, I got a problem where I can't select how much disk space I want to use after reinstalling Ubuntu, doing this won't remove my windows? :)

Hakunka-Matata
March 4th, 2011, 10:31 PM
if you choose 'use entire disc', or "use entire partition' it will overwrite any other partitions on the drive. That's why I say NOT to choose either of those options, or adjust partition size, simply Continue,

Santolman
March 4th, 2011, 10:34 PM
if you choose 'use entire disc', or "use entire partition' it will overwrite any other partitions on the drive. That's why I say NOT to choose either of those options, or adjust partition size, simply Continue,

Oh I see,

Dakayonnano
March 4th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Now I am facing a different problem, I get to the step "Who are you?", but the forward button is grayed. The progress bar on the bottom says "Ready when you are..." Do I need to type anything into the command prompt below, or wait until it lets me go forward?

Hakunka-Matata
March 4th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Hey, I got a problem where I can't select how much disk space I want to use after reinstalling Ubuntu, doing this won't remove my windows? :)

Explain please?

Hakunka-Matata
March 4th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Are you being asked for a username to be used with your installation?, If so type in a name, ALL lowercase, no caps allowed.