PDA

View Full Version : Unity Alternative

ki4jgt
March 4th, 2011, 08:16 PM
For those of you who have a problem with the whole unity theme, (No matter what it is) what are you going to use after it's released?

I think I like this: but I'm also considering KDE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOlIfhXQX9g

NightwishFan
March 4th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Looks interesting. It seemed like it was very responsive.

Zlatan
March 4th, 2011, 08:53 PM
For those of you who have a problem with the whole unity theme, (No matter what it is) what are you going to use after it's released?

ubuntu classic?

3Miro
March 4th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Best alternative, go for XFCE.

Jesus_Valdez
March 4th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I understand that you are going to be able to keep the "normal" layout.

Either way, I'm going Gnome-Shell, all day-every day.

jennybrew
March 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Very impressive.
Will it cope with the Linux hit and miss graphics problems ?
Where can I find out more?

Thanks for sharing ..much better looking than Unity and Gnome Shell

aaaantoine
March 4th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I like that for when there are no windows up, but what if you want to open another program when you have a bunch of windows open?

I haven't tried Unity yet, but from what I've seen it looks a lot like what I have already in KDE -- a single panel on the left screen edge, running SmoothTasks. I've somewhat mimicked this in Ubuntu by slapping AWN on the left screen edge, but not as gracefully.

For all the griping that goes on about Unity, I'm hoping it's at least as good as my current Ubuntu set-up (though I will miss having the CPU/RAM/Network monitors on my top panel).

ki4jgt
March 4th, 2011, 09:27 PM

I quite enjoy Gnome-Shell. It's not that Unity is bad, I just enjoy being able to see everything in one place, so I don't have to search for it, I can just get it.

Very impressive.
Will it cope with the Linux hit and miss graphics problems ?
Where can I find out more?

Thanks for sharing ..much better looking than Unity and Gnome Shell

I didn't program. I just found the video. I wish I did, it looks awesome.

I like that for when there are no windows up, but what if you want to open another program when you have a bunch of windows open?

I haven't tried Unity yet, but from what I've seen it looks a lot like what I have already in KDE -- a single panel on the left screen edge, running SmoothTasks. I've somewhat mimicked this in Ubuntu by slapping AWN on the left screen edge, but not as gracefully.

For all the griping that goes on about Unity, I'm hoping it's at least as good as my current Ubuntu set-up (though I will miss having the CPU/RAM/Network monitors on my top panel).

Like I said, I don't have a problem with Unity, it's just the fact that, I can no longer directly see, what is installed on my computer, but instead, must type in a search box and find what is installed, not to mention, it even lists things you don't have installed and Lags about doing it, it's a major speed drainage for people with 1 gig of RAM. I have no right to complain about it though, b/c I actually submitted an idea to the Brainstorm group a while back asking Ubuntu to get it's own interface.

Warpnow
March 4th, 2011, 09:44 PM
best alternative, go for xfce.

+1

Copper Bezel
March 5th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I'm using AWN+DockbarX right now in a Unity-style layout, but with the launchers, systray items, and appearance that I actually want. = ) That video made me kind of want Dash, though. (I will die of sheer awesome if there's a way to make AWN trigger Unity-2D's Dash. Holy hell.)

You'll have the classic desktop until Gnome discontinues it completely. There's no need to switch to anything the moment 11.04 rolls out. By all appearances, it's also possible to kill the Unity plugin within a Unity session, so if you are using an alternative panel, you don't even need the Gnome Classic session to keep your layout.

johntaylor1887
March 5th, 2011, 03:21 AM

You don't have to use unity. 11.04 also ships with regular gnome. Just log out and change the session to Ubuntu Classic.

BrokenKingpin
March 5th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Best alternative, go for XFCE.
++

rg4w
March 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I quite enjoy Gnome-Shell. It's not that Unity is bad, I just enjoy being able to see everything in one place, so I don't have to search for it, I can just get it.
Interesting. I've been seeing that in the Alpha, and was certain it was a bug.

If that's an intended behavior I'd love to read the usability testing that led to that decision.

marl30
March 5th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I really can't understand why so many people don't like Unity when it has changed significantly since 10.10 mobile. Unity for 11.04 seems amazing so far; and they just keep adding new features to it. I can just imaging how great it will be when it is finally released.

I'll admit, I didn't really like the idea when when they announced that they were going to use Unity. But after tracking the progress, I find it to be quite usable and have been blown away so far.

ki4jgt
March 5th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I really can't understand why so many people don't like Unity when it has changed significantly since 10.10 mobile. Unity for 11.04 seems amazing so far; and they just keep adding new features to it. I can just imaging how great it will be when it is finally released.

I'll admit, I didn't really like the idea when when they announced that they were going to use Unity. But after tracking the progress, I find it to be quite usable and have been blown away so far.

Like I said, I have nothing against Unity (It has it's audience) and I even put an idea in the ideatorrent that they should get their own UI. I just don't like the fact that everything is instasearched. I mean, there is no way of saying, THIS IS WHAT IS ON YOUR HARD DRIVE. instead, it is saying: ENTER A STRING OF RANDOM LETTERS AND I'LL TELL YOU WHAT PROGRAMS, FILES AND DIRECTORIES ARE ON YOUR HARD DRIVE AND THROW IN THE PROGRAMS THAT YOU CAN INSTALL WITHOUT TELLING YOU THE DIFFERENCE. Gnome3 or Gnome-Shell is a little different. It actually pulls your hard drive into folders and allows you to half way sort through the clutter. Unity is great for neat freaks, but for people who's desktops have more clutter than a city garbage dump, there is no perceivable means for them to sort it out. As stated, it is still in dev, so it could get better (I hope it does - I love Unity) but I'm more of a clutter this here and put that there, so I can see it and manipulate it kind of person. Been like that since middle school. Not only on my computer, but with my books, notes, trapperkeepers, everything in my life has been neat in my mind, but misplaced in everyone else's. You see, when something is right in my face, I can find it, I work out a system of sorting and then all the sorting is IN PLAIN SIGHT. This allows me to study and is part of the reason, I never did my homework, went to school every day and slept through most of it and still passed my classes. (Tests counted for 70% of the grade) and because those papers where in my sight, I was able to visually remember the content they covered.

ki4jgt
March 5th, 2011, 08:49 AM
What I mean to say is, it's just a mess. It's not a mess in organized piles, like my papers, it's a mess of everything just thrown together. It's like saying to your computer, find papers on civil war and then, b/c you are unable to access the files, you are then told about 3 out of 5 of the papers you wrote on the civil war. Of course, you could go deep within the access menu and access the folders on your computer, but who's gonna do that with instasearch?
Again, I know unity has it's audience, and maybe by the time it's released it'll be me, but there has to be a way to sort it out, besides using the instasearch. Computers are great, but they're not capable of make highly accurate decisions yet.

NightwishFan
March 5th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I believe Unity is using a framework called zeitgeist for searching, which allows applications to record and report information to aid in searches.

You might find more information here:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Zeitgeist_%28framework%29

GabrielYYZ
March 5th, 2011, 09:05 AM
i've been using Kubuntu ever since Unity was announced and, about 2 months ago, i added Fedora's XFCE spin in a dual boot configuration.

i don't like unity or gnome-shell. from the videos i've seen i know that i won't like 'em and i don't want to "give it a chance" and risk having a heart attack getting pissed off while trying to "get used to it"

maybe it's just that i'm starting to get old and grumpy...

ki4jgt
March 5th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I believe Unity is using a framework called zeitgeist for searching, which allows applications to record and report information to aid in searches.

You might find more information here:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Zeitgeist_%28framework%29

So basically it's an algorithm which links everything we do? Sorry, but I still don't like it. Maybe when the average computer can hold as much memory as the human brain and programming gets farther along, but not now. I don't even trust other people to sort through my stuff. Algorithms sort variables out, but not individual items. Individual items will always just be placed where ever they can go, it's the law of Math itself, unless you have a variable for an item, it just goes where ever. Where ever is not sorted in any way shape or form.

ki4jgt
March 5th, 2011, 09:13 AM
i've been using Kubuntu ever since Unity was announced and, about 2 months ago, i added Fedora's XFCE spin in a dual boot configuration.

i don't like unity or gnome-shell. from the videos i've seen i know that i won't like 'em and i don't want to "give it a chance" and risk having a heart attack getting pissed off while trying to "get used to it"

Nah, You never get two old, Now the grumpy thing, I don't know about. (We all get grumpy and old, but you can always teach an old dog new tricks, what's really beautiful is when that old dog uses the old and new tricks together) and I don't hate it, I'm sure I and you too, could learn to love it! But to me, it's just too random. You never get to see your files at all :-( and sad. I miss my files. O well, I didn't mean to start trolling Ubuntu users, this is just my opinion, and is in no way intended to cast canonical in a negative light. I love this OS.

WOW, I feel dumb two.replace['two', 'too'] LOL

I guess my statement to Ubuntu would be: Don't drop Unity, it's very awesome. Just make it where it's not all thrown together.

NCLI
March 5th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Like I said, I have nothing against Unity (It has it's audience) and I even put an idea in the ideatorrent that they should get their own UI. I just don't like the fact that everything is instasearched. I mean, there is no way of saying, THIS IS WHAT IS ON YOUR HARD DRIVE. instead, it is saying: ENTER A STRING OF RANDOM LETTERS AND I'LL TELL YOU WHAT PROGRAMS, FILES AND DIRECTORIES ARE ON YOUR HARD DRIVE AND THROW IN THE PROGRAMS THAT YOU CAN INSTALL WITHOUT TELLING YOU THE DIFFERENCE. Gnome3 or Gnome-Shell is a little different. It actually pulls your hard drive into folders and allows you to half way sort through the clutter. Unity is great for neat freaks, but for people who's desktops have more clutter than a city garbage dump, there is no perceivable means for them to sort it out. As stated, it is still in dev, so it could get better (I hope it does - I love Unity) but I'm more of a clutter this here and put that there, so I can see it and manipulate it kind of person. Been like that since middle school. Not only on my computer, but with my books, notes, trapperkeepers, everything in my life has been neat in my mind, but misplaced in everyone else's. You see, when something is right in my face, I can find it, I work out a system of sorting and then all the sorting is IN PLAIN SIGHT. This allows me to study and is part of the reason, I never did my homework, went to school every day and slept through most of it and still passed my classes. (Tests counted for 70% of the grade) and because those papers where in my sight, I was able to visually remember the content they covered.

Gee, I guess I'd better stop doing this then (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73tKLiE-d1w), since I can't do it. :lolflag:

sffvba[e0rt
March 5th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I am giving Unity a go now (since I was finally able to a version to install...)

Two hours and a mind set change or two... I am almost doing everything I used to do as fast as I used to do them...

We all fear change... But it is clear to me that I will never be able to make an informed decision about what works best for me if I don't give it an honest go... and so far so good...

Only time will tell if I continue to use it or switch, but at least I will have very good (even if still personal) reasons to choose what I choose...

For something a bit more on-topic KDE is getting better and better and 4.6 is pretty sweet :)

ki4jgt
March 5th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Gee, I guess I'd better stop doing this then (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73tKLiE-d1w), since I can't do it. :lolflag:

Yes, I can say I forgot about that one and that it does make it a little better, but all the apps are still just thrown into one place. It's hectic to try and thumb through them. IDK, maybe it's just me, but I just can't stand it.

CarpKing
March 5th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I'll give them both a try, but the way things look now I'll probably end up with Gnome-Shell and a dock at the bottom.

MasterNetra
March 5th, 2011, 08:19 PM

As mentioned by others there is Ubuntu Classic which is good old gnome 2.x. Also how can one truly not like or dislike if you've haven't even tried it. Of course for best results wait until release. Sounds to me what you really don't like is change. ;)

ki4jgt
March 5th, 2011, 08:32 PM
As mentioned by others there is Ubuntu Classic which is good old gnome 2.x. Also how can one truly not like or dislike if you've haven't even tried it. Of course for best results wait until release. Sounds to me what you really don't like is change. ;)

Know you weren't talking to me, but I also got the same comment. Change is good. There's nothing wrong with change. I change my desktop several times a month from KDE to Gnome depending on how I feel. Ive also tried XFCE, Gnome-shell, Unity, sugar(I also can't stand) and Moblin. I guess I just don't like the IPhone like feel of Unity. Everything is buried within and nothing is on the outside. But as you stated, you can't down it until you've tried it.

WinterMadness
March 5th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Ubuntu should just ask you what DE you want to use when you install it
upon selecting, it should show you a picture of it to help people decide.

it should include:
Gnome 2
KDE
Unity
Gnome 3
XFCE
None

cap10Ibraim
March 5th, 2011, 09:44 PM

it should include:
Gnome 2
KDE
Unity
Gnome 3
XFCE
None
this way it can't fit a live CD , but they can ship a dvd with these options (i think openSUSE do the same)

cariboo
March 5th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I would suggest everyone wait until after March 24th before giving your opinions on Unity, as that is when the UI freeze is.

WinterMadness
March 5th, 2011, 10:41 PM
this way it can't fit a live CD , but they can ship a dvd with these options (i think openSUSE do the same)

Cant you have a livecd thats a dvd? im pretty sure you can.

All youd have to do is pick what user interface youd like to try.

ki4jgt
March 5th, 2011, 11:22 PM

it should include:
Gnome 2
KDE
Unity
Gnome 3
XFCE
None

Hey, post this on brainstorm. I mean, they could keep the live CD in what ever UI the CD comes in, but can allow the user to select which environment they wish to run. Like if you download the original Gnome Ubuntu, in setup, you can choose which setup you like and then it would be downloaded. If the user doesn't have an internet connection, they can just stick with the UI they downloaded on the CD.

NightwishFan
March 5th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Working on including and improving all the different user interfaces seems a bit much to me. Ubuntu is better off just focusing on one. IE Gnome (unity).

ki4jgt
March 5th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I would suggest everyone wait until after March 24th before giving your opinions on Unity, as that is when the UI freeze is.

++

This is just current opinions. We are not psychics (At least I'm not) and do not have the developers pegged. I'm just saying what I don't like about it now.

The developers have done a fabulous job on this. Compared to them, I'm just a noob in programming. This thread wasn't meant to down Unity or to down the devs. I just wanted to know what alternatives everyone (who didn't like it) was using. The statements made by me, were meant as constructive comments and not as criticisms. I did come on a bit strong though and would like to apologize for that. Devs, GOOD JOB! YOU HAVE KEPT THIS DISTRO STRONG SINCE DAY ONE!

I am not trying to take back what I said but, I know that I have not saw the freeze yet. I will admit, I am opposed to the move to Unity b/c of the things listed in this thread. However, I believe (as you stated) Unity has not been finished yet and I do not know what they have in store. When it comes out, I may love it to death, but not now.

ki4jgt
March 5th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Working on including and improving all the different user interfaces seems a bit much to me. Ubuntu is better off just focusing on one. IE Gnome (unity).

Not including and improving, just a list in setup like:
If the user has an internet connection then

Gnome
KDE
XFCE
Sugar
Unity
. . .

With a picture at the side showing the user what each looks like. Then if the User decides s/he wants one, it is downloaded from the repositories and is their default. No improving or including needed. They are already included in the repos.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
March 6th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I'm staying with Gnome 2 for a while until both Unity and Gnome Shell have matured and can be assessed properly without fanboys crying about criticising a work in progress. If neither of them turn out to offer anything new other than being different for the sake of being different (as is the case right now), I'm not switching. I'm sick and tired of Ubuntu reinventing itself every other release for no damn reason other than to generate publicity through controversy. PulseAudio, Mono, Grub2, and now Unity and Wayland. I wonder what they'll come up with next, replacing python with brainf**k?

GabrielYYZ
March 6th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I'm staying with Gnome 2 for a while until both Unity and Gnome Shell have matured and can be assessed properly without fanboys crying about criticising a work in progress. If neither of them turn out to offer anything new other than being different for the sake of being different (as is the case right now), I'm not switching. I'm sick and tired of Ubuntu reinventing itself every other release for no damn reason other than to generate publicity through controversy. PulseAudio, Mono, Grub2, and now Unity and Wayland. I wonder what they'll come up with next, replacing python with brainf**k?

maybe they'll replace the Linux kernel with the BSD kernel, imagine the publicity that'll come from that much controversy... :P

As mentioned by others there is Ubuntu Classic which is good old gnome 2.x. Also how can one truly not like or dislike if you've haven't even tried it. Of course for best results wait until release. Sounds to me what you really don't like is change. :wink:

i'm pretty sure that what i don't like is unity, i'm not a fan of gnome 2.x but i liked it when i first experienced it back when i first tried ubuntu. i don't mind change, i think change is great but i'm for gradual change. i don't mind that other people like unity and i don't really care about the switch (i had been avoiding these kind of topics) but, since the topic of this thread was "unity alternatives", i thought i would post about how i switched to KDE and enjoyed it.

TL;DR = i don't like unity, i don't mind the switch. i chose to switch to KDE because of that and liked it better than i liked 'classic' gnome.

cariboo
March 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM
The problem is that for the short term, the classic Gnome interface is going to be a viable option, and unless someone else steps up to the plate to maintain it, it will eventually go away. Keep in mind that all of this came about because the Gnome developers think they know what we need, and the two panel option isn't it.

robert shearer
March 6th, 2011, 08:47 AM
The problem is that for the short term, the classic Gnome interface is going to be a viable option, and unless someone else steps up to the plate to maintain it, it will eventually go away. Keep in mind that all of this came about because the Gnome developers think they know what we need, and the two panel option isn't it.

What you mean "we" ?.
Those of us who want two panels should take a hike...??.

cariboo
March 6th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I mean we the users, I'm sure you've noticed that over the last couple of years more and more of the customization options have been taken away, or moved to gconf settings, this has nothing to do with Ubuntu, and everything to do with Gnome. All to make it easier for new users to switch to using Gnome.

toupeiro
March 6th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I mean we the users, I'm sure you've noticed that over the last couple of years more and more of the customization options have been taken away, or moved to gconf settings, this has nothing to do with Ubuntu, and everything to do with Gnome. All to make it easier for new users to switch to using Gnome.

Still, by what criteria was it decided that we do not want a 2 panel option? Sorry, you can say this is about the We and the us all day long, but at the end of the day its about the Shuttleworth, who "stepped down" however still has extremely deep roots influencing ubuntu's final product and overall roadmap...

The man ponies up a lot of money for the project, I'm not saying he shouldn't have a leading voice in these matters, but don't pretend its actually about the communities needs and wants. :)

cariboo
March 6th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Why are you trying to make this about Ubuntu, when it is Gnome that is discontinuing the two panel interface, with the introduction of gnome-shell?

robert shearer
March 6th, 2011, 09:11 AM

So adopting Unity to make it easier for new users to switch to Ubuntu is different..??

Unity has customization...???

Anyways, way off topic now so anyone with usable alternative suggestions as per the thread title...???

Ctrl-Alt-F1
March 6th, 2011, 09:12 AM
it is Gnome that is discontinuing the two panel interface, with the introduction of gnome-shell?
Meh. Good riddance. I'm glad Ubuntu is trying to come up with their own alternative to Gnome-Shell though. I'm not a huge fan of GS at this point.

toupeiro
March 6th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Why are you trying to make this about Ubuntu, when it is Gnome that is discontinuing the two panel interface, with the introduction of gnome-shell?

Unity/Wayland is an ubuntu decision... gnome-shell is a gnome decision. unity in place of gnome-shell is an implementation of a personal choice in the name of the community, it has nothing to do with supporting the upstream projects, which by the way, all contributed to ubuntu's success as its known today. And, taking a pulse on the matter myself, it has nothing to do with the majority of what the community actually wants.

cariboo
March 6th, 2011, 09:18 AM
So adopting Unity to make it easier for new users to switch to Ubuntu is different..??

Unity has customization...???

Remember the two panel interface is still available, and will be until it is discontinued by Gnome.

Unity is partially customizable as it is now, and more will come, there are upcoming features, that may not make it into Natty, as the UI freeze is on March 24th, but they will be in Natty+1.

Personally I think Unity is just as easy for a new user to use as the two panel interface.

robert shearer
March 6th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Personally I think Unity is just as easy for a new user to use as the two panel interface.

But unbelievably difficult for some of us older users :)
For starters if I can only have one panel I want my panel at the bottom, Unity can't do this ??

Not averse to change here, though choice and customisation beats 'flashy' hands down in this house.

Hence the interest in this threads title, and at the risk of repeating myself, anyone with useable suggestions...?

cariboo
March 6th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Unity/Wayland is an ubuntu decision... gnome-shell is a gnome decision. unity in place of gnome-shell is an implementation of a personal choice in the name of the community, it has nothing to do with supporting the upstream projects, which by the way, all contributed to ubuntu's success as its known today. And, taking a pulse on the matter myself, it has nothing to do with the majority of what the community actually wants.

The strange thing is that I see much more excitement and support elsewhere about Unity, than in the forums here.

As far as Ubuntu/Gnome problems go, it's taken a while to iron out quite a few sticking points, but I think we'll see more and better cooperation in the releases to come. Gnome needs to take more than just financial support from Canonical/Ubuntu.

This thread is straying way off topic, and I'm sorry for that. This discussion would be better carried on in the Unity Mega thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1695432)

robert shearer
March 6th, 2011, 09:42 AM
The strange thing is that I see much more excitement and support elsewhere about Unity, than in the forums here.

Strange you think that as I just did a Google using Unity as the search term and didn't get a hit as a desktop until page 3.

Any links to 'elsewheres'...?

( not being anti here just curious as to why forum members= ubuntu users don't find Unity thrilling and who are those that do...)

Rinzwind
March 6th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I could not resist...
I have been using 11.04 since y-day and for -my- purposes it is production ready. It once every while has a software crash or crashes in item from the tray but that's not too bad (10.10 was worse at this point ;) )

First conclusion: Unity will not be my choice. Heck I am even starting to dislike the way 11.04 is set up w/o Unity.

1. panel: I always have icons in the top panel on the left side (next to the menu). Those icons flip from left to right when I open a program because this version insists on removing 'places' from the list of choices instead of graying it out.
If this is not a bug and this flipping starts to annoy me I know myself well enough to start looking for alternatives.

2. Unity is slow. It takes seconds for chromium to show up and I have to click the panel first to have anything start responding. Both might be bugs though. So this complaint will be set on hold till final release.

3. Unity sucks when you are into coding. I generally have 10 to 20 programs running at the same time of wich at least 5 in view at the same time: coding in 1, browser in the 2nd to test if it works etc etc. The way this is set up is, to say the least, annoying. And I do not think this will improve for me.

For netbooks Unity is an awesome feature but for desktops I highly doubt it will rock my boat...
I already have found more annoying features than in ALL previous releases added together.

Of course since this is Linux my problems go away after removing the new menu and replacing it with the old Applications,Places, System-menu ;)

Rinzwind
March 6th, 2011, 09:50 AM
But support forums tend to be full of complaints and problems so I do not believe it to be strange to see people complain about Unity ;)

NCLI
March 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Yes, I can say I forgot about that one and that it does make it a little better, but all the apps are still just thrown into one place. It's hectic to try and thumb through them. IDK, maybe it's just me, but I just can't stand it.

Sorry, it looks like Youtube messes up my upload. Here is the full length video (http://ubuntuone.com/p/gKj/).

Lucradia
March 6th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I will be using no compositing manager, or one bundled into the Window Manager I plan to use (XFWM, Metacity)

PaulW2U
March 6th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I'm currently switching between separate KDE and Xfce installations. Both have advantages over the other. Once 11.04 is released and Unity is finished, I'll think about installing it but with so many Gnome applications refusing to run on this old PC of mine, I've think I've decided to go elsewhere within the Ubuntu family.

Even the alpha builds of Kubuntu and Xubuntu 11.04 are very stable here compared to Ubuntu/Unity and I like what I see. KDE 4.6 is a very comprehensive suite of applications with most of the bugs and problems of earlier versions removed. Xfce 4.8 offers a simplistic approach and is ideal for anyone with more modest needs.

frncz
March 6th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I'm trying to use Unity, but I can't figure out how to close windows!
My windows don't have the usual top bar with the x and - options anymore!
Help please
Mike

Lucradia
March 6th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I'm trying to use Unity, but I can't figure out how to close windows!
My windows don't have the usual top bar with the x and - options anymore!
Help please
Mike

Then metacity crashed when unity took over. It's not supposed to do that.

CarpKing
March 6th, 2011, 08:50 PM

I would think that feedback about the UI would be much more important *before* the UI freeze than after.

Merk42
March 6th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Like I said, I have nothing against Unity (It has it's audience) and I even put an idea in the ideatorrent that they should get their own UI. I just don't like the fact that everything is instasearched. I mean, there is no way of saying, THIS IS WHAT IS ON YOUR HARD DRIVE. instead, it is saying: ENTER A STRING OF RANDOM LETTERS AND I'LL TELL YOU WHAT PROGRAMS, FILES AND DIRECTORIES ARE ON YOUR HARD DRIVE AND THROW IN THE PROGRAMS THAT YOU CAN INSTALL WITHOUT TELLING YOU THE DIFFERENCE.Maybe you're using an old (10.10?) version.
In Natty Alpha 3 I can see all the applications installed by clicking on the applications shortcut then "See ... More Results" next to installed.

Still, by what criteria was it decided that we do not want a 2 panel option? Sorry, you can say this is about the We and the us all day long, but at the end of the day its about the Shuttleworth, who "stepped down" however still has extremely deep roots influencing ubuntu's final product and overall roadmap...

The man ponies up a lot of money for the project, I'm not saying he shouldn't have a leading voice in these matters, but don't pretend its actually about the communities needs and wants. :)But the two panel interface is still available.
It won't be in the long run when GNOME discontinues it and won't have to do with a decision Canonical makes with regards to Unity.

cariboo
March 6th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Here's an alternative I haven't seen anyone mention, a minimal Ubuntu install with the gnome-desktop-environment meta package from the repositories, it's closer to Debian than it is to Ubuntu, the last time I tried it, it even had Debian Squeeze theming.

Lucradia
March 6th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Here's an alternative I haven't seen anyone mention, a minimal Ubuntu install with the gnome-desktop-environment meta package from the repositories, it's closer to Debian than it is to Ubuntu, the last time I tried it, it even had Debian Squeeze theming.

So they fixed the gnome package?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/meta-gnome2/+bug/451266

cariboo
March 6th, 2011, 11:51 PM
That's an old bug. :) I installed the gnome-desktop-environment meta package in January 2011, when I was trying to get a pure gnome 3 desktop with gnome-shell running. The experiment failed, but the desktop was noticeably faster than the Ubuntu desktop on my older AMD 3800+/9400GT/2Gb system

ki4jgt
March 7th, 2011, 02:10 AM
What about the enlightenment Desktop? I love it!

rg4w
March 7th, 2011, 02:26 AM
I would think that feedback about the UI would be much more important *before* the UI freeze than after.
Yep. :)

Lucradia
March 7th, 2011, 02:31 AM
What about the enlightenment Desktop? I love it!

http://www.lynucs.org/?enlightenment << Like these?

If so, it's basically a suped-up openbox/fluxbox with a compositing manager built-in.

kevdog
March 7th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Elightenment is awesome with old hardware. Super smooth and fast.

frncz
March 7th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Then metacity crashed when unity took over. It's not supposed to do that.

Thanks. That sounds right.
Mike

Roasted
March 7th, 2011, 03:49 PM

Has Gnome Shell made any positive progression in the past few months? I had followed it for nearly a year, with little/no change occuring in those months. I submitted a few ideas to the mailing list, with developers shooting me down almost immediately with Steve Jobs-ish responses. Ex - "you're holding it wrong" vs "you shouldn't have your windows maximized anyway."

zekopeko
March 7th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Has Gnome Shell made any positive progression in the past few months? I had followed it for nearly a year, with little/no change occuring in those months. I submitted a few ideas to the mailing list, with developers shooting me down almost immediately with Steve Jobs-ish responses. Ex - "you're holding it wrong" vs "you shouldn't have your windows maximized anyway."

They basically copied the layout of Unity.

ki4jgt
March 7th, 2011, 10:53 PM

I have heard about steve's statement. Does anyone know if he was actually serious when he said it, or just joking?

jerrylamos
March 16th, 2011, 10:49 PM
As an alternative to "Unity 3D" I'm having fun with Unity 2D. Runs on all my pc's, nice and crisp, and NO COMPIZ CRASHES!

Jerry

Lucradia
March 16th, 2011, 11:24 PM
As an alternative to "Unity 3D" I'm having fun with Unity 2D. Runs on all my pc's, nice and crisp, and NO COMPIZ CRASHES!

Jerry

The only problems you may run into is processor limitations on Netbooks when searching, minimal lag may be reported due to searching in unity being instant.

Quadunit404
March 17th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Ex - "you're holding it wrong" vs "you shouldn't have your windows maximized anyway."

If the GNOME Devs ever state that I'm switching to Unity. For as long as I have been using PCs with a GUI (since Windows 95 in 199...7) I have had apps like browsers, image editors and photo managers maximized and to suddenly have that habit of mine forcibly changed would make me want to shoot myself in the foot rather than have to change a habit I had for over 14 years.

Tbh I'm not impressed with either GS or Unity, but if something like that is ever said, Unity for me.

bruce89
March 17th, 2011, 05:31 AM
If the GNOME Devs ever state that I'm switching to Unity.

You'll be pleased to hear that this was just FUD.

fcomstoc
March 17th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I have tried unity and I can't imagine using it I found the process of setting it up very frustrating and for daily use it is annoying, If 11.04 comes with unity I am going to find a new desktop environment like xfce.

cariboo
March 17th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I have tried unity and I can't imagine using it I found the process of setting it up very frustrating and for daily use it is annoying, If 11.04 comes with unity I am going to find a new desktop environment like xfce.

If you'd read this thread from the start, you'd know the classic two panel desktop is still available from the session menu at the login screen.

robert shearer
March 17th, 2011, 08:50 AM
If you'd read this thread from the start, you'd know the classic two panel desktop is still available from the session menu at the login screen.

'For a short time only...!'

Merk42
March 17th, 2011, 04:44 PM
'For a short time only...!'
[citation needed]

Unless, of course, you referring to when GNOME discontinues the panels, but then the 'blame' would fall on GNOME, not Canonical

CarpKing
March 17th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Gnome probably will discontinue the panels. However, *if* they implement an applet system for the shell, I'm sure someone will very shortly make tasklist and menu applets. Probably all the current applets that anyone actually uses, too (sorry Eyes and Fish!).

Random_Dude
March 17th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I'm gonna try Unity.

But just out of curiosity, what if I want to run exclusively KDE or xfce (or some other environment, like openbox, awesome, etc...). Should I install them on top of Ubuntu and remove Unity, or should I install Kubuntu or Xubuntu (in the case of wanting to run KDE or xfce)?

Is there the possibility of installing Ubuntu without Unity and putting something on top of it after the installation?

Can I run on Kubuntu and Xubuntu all the programs that I run on Ubuntu?

Sorry for the noob questions.

Cheers :cool:

CarpKing
March 17th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I'm gonna try Unity.

But just out of curiosity, what if I want to run exclusively KDE or xfce (or some other environment, like openbox, awesome, etc...). Should I install them on top of Ubuntu and remove Unity, or should I install Kubuntu or Xubuntu (in the case of wanting to run KDE or xfce)?

Is there the possibility of installing Ubuntu without Unity and putting something on top of it after the installation?

I think all of those should work in theory, so I'll leave it to others to discuss best practices.

Can I run on Kubuntu and Xubuntu all the programs that I run on Ubuntu?

Yes. The programs may require a few more dependencies, but all that is handled automagically by the installer. They also may stand out from the other programs appearance-wise, but that's mostly cosmetic.

Quadunit404
March 17th, 2011, 06:29 PM
You'll be pleased to hear that this was just FUD.

The key word in that statement/rant is "if" ;)

JEDIDIAH
April 3rd, 2011, 02:07 AM

No. If they are going to do this "just focus on one thing" idea then they should not go off on grand tangents. Since they want to go off on grand tangents then the should allow that which is not broken to remain in place and be easy to install for those of us that don't feel like rushing off the cliff.

Alternate window managers is one of the great things about Linux.

There is CHOICE. It's not just Windows or MacOS.

Philsoki
April 3rd, 2011, 06:50 AM
I spent the better part of the day trying to get Trinity desktop working on Ubuntu 10.10... I failed. Going to try again later, but maybe on Debian instead.

Trinity is a fork of KDE 3: http://www.trinitydesktop.org/wiki/bin/view/Documentation/Releases_3_5_12

Probably all the current applets that anyone actually uses, too (sorry Eyes and Fish!).
LOL! I forgot about Eyes and Fish. I used them both, once. :)

jthirt
April 3rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
I was kind of forced to adopt Unity on my Netbook as I upgraded to 10.10 and I don't like it. It doesn't work that well on such limited display space and the sidebar that use a lot of display area, is not responsive/gets confusing and rather irritating I find.

I'll probably use the Classic mode on desktop/laptops and see how the next release of unity improves on the netbook. But I preferred the netbook launcher for it's simplicity. For basic users it was a great alternative to Windows. Now we're back into geeky mode. Too bad for them!

NightwishFan
April 3rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
There is CHOICE. It's not just Windows or MacOS.

Blah blah blah.

I have never used Mac Os since 1997 and not Windows since 2006. I know what I mean without being rambled at about choice. It would be a big waste of time and effort for Canonical to work on every major desktop environment. Focusing on Gnome seems to be the best way forward (and yes they still are focusing on Gnome, except the Shell).