PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot create folders in file open/save dialogs

Objekt
March 4th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Some functionality seems to be missing from the Ubuntu GUI. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit.

Basically, the problem is that unlike in Windows, I cannot create folders inside a file open/save dialog. Instead, I have to do it in a separate filesystem browser, such as Nautilus.

The ability to create folders on the fly in a file open/save dialog is something I always liked about Windows' GUI. Often it was a timesaver. For example, suppose I was about to save a file, and I wanted to create a special subfolder for it and other files like it. All I had to do was browse to the desired location, right-click, choose "create new folder" and name it appropriately.

I apparently can't do that with GNOME. It's kind of a pain. I have to stop what I'm doing, open Nautilus, browse to the folder, and create the new subfolder there. Then go back to my application's save dialog, find the new folder, and save the file.

Is there any way to do what I want in Ubuntu, or did I just miss a feature that's already there? Does it depend on the application?

mcduck
March 4th, 2011, 08:48 PM
You just need to click the "Browse for other folders" dropdown to show the full browser view and the "Create Folder"-button.