PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desperatly need some advice please for an old IBM Laptop

DMCX
March 4th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I have been given a year 2000 IBM ThinkPad I 1425 featuring 64MB RAM memory and running on Intel Celeron with Win98. (Drive C 2047MB / Drive D: 3671MB)

I have a nice Ubuntu 10.10 Cd in hands but somehow I cannot even start the CD and it will not Autorun.

I tried to un-install Windows 98 as explained in various places on the net, but it is impossible to find it in the add/remove file.

Could someone give me a quick thought on what is possible and what is not with this oldies.

I was hoping to refresh the old laptop for only web surfing use.

Thank you for your help

TechnikAlsace
March 4th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Removing Win98 is not the problem. You'll have to select the CD-ROM drive as the first boot device (in the BIOS - boot order).

But... Ubuntu 10.10 which is a heavy distribution with a wonderful graphic interface will most probably not run well on a notebook with only 64MB RAM. I'd rather look for a much more lightweight Linux distribution.

mikewhatever
March 4th, 2011, 04:21 PM
You need to get a more light weight distro, DSL (DamnSmallLinux), for example. Ubuntu desktop is a no-go with 64MB of RAM.
You might want to check out the "Old Crappy Laptops" thread for more suggestions.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=478237&highlight=crappy+laptop

oldos2er
March 4th, 2011, 07:14 PM
http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

DMCX
March 5th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Thanks a lot for your replies.
If I understand 64MB is not enough for running Ubuntu, then how many MB of Ram memory is needed to run it?
It seems there are many other versions of Linux based OS such as Xubuntu, Lubuntu (?) puppy linux, etc...

If having only 64MB and wanting to only browse the internet ans listen to radio streaming, which of all should I pick?

The more I look into it and the more I get lost in a galaxy of technical words that I must search the meaning before understanding its meaning but still being lost at what to do.

Anything simple and straight forward easy with not specific lingos available outthere?
You know like, "press here", "clic here" ... "Welcome aboard Newbie!".

I did check the links you posted, got more confused at what to do.

Help

Hedgehog1
March 5th, 2011, 07:28 AM
DMCX,

I just looked at the links for the various 'smaller' Linux distributions.

None of them, not even 'DamnSmallLinux', will run in 64 MB of RAM.

To run 'DamnSmallLinux', you need 128 MB. To run Ubuntu, you need 1024 MB (1 gig) for it to be useful.

Sorry.

Perhaps you should look for a newer laptop.

The Hedge

DMCX
March 5th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Hedgehog1,
Thank you for your message

I see, then I should upgrade the RAM to be able to run the lightest stuff, that should be still cheaper than buying a new laptop.

Then with 128MB of RAM I will be able to run puppy or DamnSmallLinux, is it correct?

Hedgehog1
March 5th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Hedgehog1,
Thank you for your message

I see, then I should upgrade the RAM to be able to run the lightest stuff, that should be still cheaper than buying a new laptop.

Then with 128MB of RAM I will be able to run puppy or DamnSmallLinux, is it correct?

Yes, both Puppy and DSM will run in 128. Be aware that to use OpenOffice in Puppy, you will need 256 MB.

I looked and there are still DIMMs available for that old system. I did not expect that!

The Hedge

:KS

DMCX
March 5th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks a lot again.

I am don't know yet what is DSM or DIMM but I guess I will have to learn about it as I go along.

I take good note of the OpenOffice requirement, I will not need it.

Will go get some RAM first

Hedgehog1
March 5th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks a lot again.

I am don't know yet what is DSM or DIMM but I guess I will have to learn about it as I go along.

I take good note of the OpenOffice requirement, I will not need it.

Will go get some RAM first

DIMMs are they style of RAM your laptop uses. Here is a link to see what they look like (and cost) memory-64mb-so-dimm-for-ibm-thinkpad (http://pcmemory.skproshoppe.com/ibm-thinkpad-i-series-1400-1425-memory-64mb-so-dimm-for-ibm-thinkpad-oem-20l0254-ra)

The Hedge

DMCX
March 5th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Hedgehog1
You are my Saint!
Thanks a lot again

DMCX
March 6th, 2011, 03:10 AM
I am located in Japan, and I spent the day searching for a RAM Memory to boost my old laptop, but nobody sells it anymore in Japan.
Got to order from online store abroad, which is going to cost me more for shipping it than for the RAM itself.

A 10 year old laptop is now so obsolete, this is crazy.

Hedgehog1
March 6th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Got to order from online store abroad, which is going to cost me more for shipping it than for the RAM itself.

A 10 year old laptop is now so obsolete, this is crazy.

I completely agree. A newer (new or used) Laptop or PC is a better use of your money. If you can get something that will run Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10, you will have more fun with Ubuntu.

The Hedge

mörgæs
March 6th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Here are some options:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1582027
Please note that not all of the distros are actively supported.

It is very unfortunate that people still talk of Damn Small Linux in this forum. It is a stalled project, and nothing indicates that it will be brought back to life. Using it is a major security threat.