PDA

View Full Version : Multitouch Table . The search begins....

Omegus
March 4th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Hey guys and gals,

I was doing some research on building my own Multi-touch Table for my new house. I had seen alot of great plans but still undecided on what type of design I want for the table. I began to think of the framework interface that windows had on the "Microsoft Surface" and thought "Thats pretty cool, I wonder if there is something like that for Ubuntu." .

So more searching began I found this website TouchLay (http://www.touchlay.com/) where they say that they are desgining a Ubuntu based interface for a multi-touch surface. It seems interesting but I was more hoping that it was supported by Canonical in some way. My wife says to me later on "What if you go on tour again and when you come you dont feel like building it?" True enough question. So I did some more research on actual touch screens to put overtop my Samsung 40" TV and found this site. Multi-Touch-Screens (http://multi-touch-screen.com/) interesting stuff and seems promising but I saw no Ubuntu or Linux support for the software. So I emailed the company to find out if in the future that they would eventually make support files for Linux, now I play the waiting game for a response.

I then decided to check out youtube as per and see what was out there for videos on what I was looking for. I then found a video about GINN which is supported by Canonical and has all the gestures that I needed. How is the interface with GINN is it easy to pick up? can you customise the gestures? will future versions of GINN have a new framework media center? So many questions. But all I know is that I will have a Multi-touch Table ....Oh yes , it will be mine.

Lucradia
March 4th, 2011, 07:59 AM
It seems like it's not user-friendly at all to define custom gestures, or... *ahem* wishes:

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=ginn+gesture+customization

A quick scan of google shows that devs need to help you in some shape or form, or find out about, wishes.xml? If not, this is another chapter in how google can't help.

Omegus
March 4th, 2011, 08:09 PM
So if I understand this, Ginn is a framework with in Utouch, or is a separate software all together ? As the videos I have seen are mostly done on laptops...which I understand the majority of the community uses. I think I will try it for my multi-touch table.

Oh Nevermind just read this "Enter Ginn, (https://edge.launchpad.net/canonical-multitouch/ginn) which stands for Gesture Injector: No-GEIS, No-GTK. Ginn is a daemon service which listens to ‘gestures’ from the uTouch stack and injects ‘common keypress events inside applications according to the predefined rules." so it is a separate daemon.

I am very excited on the progress made on multi-touch and Ubuntu.

Daniel0108
March 6th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Hi Omegus,

I'm one of the leaders of TouchLay and one of our fans told me about your post.
TouchLay will be supported by Canonical, I think, but first of all we have to finish our website. After that we're going to sell our first TouchTable.
The Touch Table works with TUIO and is fully supported by Ubuntu. It was much work to compile these Windows programs(and re-write them) for Ubuntu. We're going to make something like unity for personal use(presentations, office programs, painting programs), but also a special multitouch mouse driver for ubuntu-lovers :)

I really hope Canonical supports us,

Yours,
Daniel

Omegus
March 8th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Thank you so much for the info, This has me super excited and expect great things from you guys at touchlay. I cant wait to see the table when it comes out. I hope to hear more great things on your website after the updates.

Daniel0108
March 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Thank you so much for the info, This has me super excited and expect great things from you guys at touchlay. I cant wait to see the table when it comes out. I hope to hear more great things on your website after the updates.

If you have any questions or suggestions, write us at support@touchlay.com :)
We are currently trying to get Canonical support, but what do you mean by support? Do you mean partnership? Or do you just think that we should open a Launchpad project?

Yours,
Daniel