PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Mail Client?

TechWiz2100
March 3rd, 2011, 04:42 PM
Hey guys, just wondering whats everyone's favorite mail client. I've been using Evolution since I installed 10.10 but I'm growing seriously tired of its frequent hangs and crashes.

Seriously I only have 2 IMAP accounts and an Exchange account that is being accessed from the intranet and Evo dies every half hour.

Anyone get any better performance/ success from another client? Oh and running Outlook in WINE might not work out for me... dunno yet.

Denton Larson
March 3rd, 2011, 05:06 PM
I like Thunderbird.

Denton Larson

anaconda
March 3rd, 2011, 05:14 PM
Thunderbird +1

I have it running continuously for a loooong periods of time, and it has never crashed.

I wonder why ubuntu team still wants to use evolution? Thunderbird is much better.

lykeion
March 3rd, 2011, 05:15 PM
Thunderbird +1
Very solid piece of software

Grenage
March 3rd, 2011, 05:25 PM
I was all about Evolution until a couple of days ago. Its integration with google calendar/contacts and general functionality was decent. Unfortunately it crashed with some e-mails, HTML e-mail never really rendered, and LDAP lookups never worked.

With Thunderbird and the plugin for Google Calendar, everything works well.

Random_Dude
March 3rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Thunderbird.
Only recently I started using an mail client and decided to go with Thunderbird. Nothing wrong so far, no crashes or anything.

Cheers :cool:

samalex
March 3rd, 2011, 06:08 PM
When I'm on my laptop I use Thunderbird with the calendar plug, but I also use alpine on my Linux server which is linked to my Google account via IMAP. It's a great alternative way to get into my mail.

adeee
March 3rd, 2011, 06:22 PM
Vote for Evolution.
Why migrate to thunderbird when evolution give security and everything that i want. :P

NightwishFan
March 3rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
I personally use Evolution because I like the way it looks and works. I recommend Thunderbird to someone who is new to email or wants something to "just work" though.

Zlatan
March 3rd, 2011, 07:22 PM
gmail web interface for me. works best and I can reinstall my laptop whenever I want:)
and evolution for google calendar events to be shown on my ubuntu gnome calendar.

Dry Lips
March 3rd, 2011, 07:31 PM
Definitively Thunderbird as it comes with the Enigmail
add-on that let you encrypt your mail. Sending ordinary
mail is like sending a postcard, encrypted mail is like
putting your letter within an envelope!

Quadunit404
March 3rd, 2011, 08:06 PM
Opera, because I can check my mail and browse the web at the same time :wink:

TechWiz2100
March 3rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Haha I expected Thunderbird to get overwhelming response but it's ability to use Exchange is horribly crippled.

Anyone manage to get Thunderbird + Exchange working well? I know the IMAP method but then I can't sync calendars which is pretty important to me.

roggenschrotbrot
March 3rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
mutt. does what it is supposed to, is lightweight, customizable and never crashes.

Dragonbite
March 3rd, 2011, 08:16 PM
Evolution Express

It's Evolution, only it is just the email portion (not calendar, tasks, etc.). Opens much faster and gives me the full abilities I have with Evolution for the email component.

I placed a menu item under Internet to open the express version, while the entry under Office opens the full blown. You can pull up Evolution Express in 10.10 and newer with
evolution --express

So, like I said, when I want to go into the full-blown Evolution I use the default link under Office > Evolution and have access to everything.

I like how Evolution syncs with UbuntuOne the contacts, I IMAP to my Gmail account plus contacts and when I have time to set it up I sync my Google Calendars as well.

Phoenixie
March 3rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
Thunderbird++;

NMFTM
March 3rd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Sending ordinary mail is like sending a postcard, encrypted mail is like putting your letter within an envelope!
That's quite an understatement. Modern encryption is more like sending it in a steel safe inside a larger safe. Although, I'm sure Evolution has an OpenPGP addon as well.

One thing that annoys me is that almost nobody uses encryption and when you recommend that they do, you're looked at like some kind of tin foil hatted nutjob. Companies will tell you to email/fax in your application with all kinds of personal information, including your social security number as plaintext attachments. When a file is sent between two points, you have no idea who might be packet sniffing at any point along the miles and miles of copper between the start and end destinations.

gradinaruvasile
March 3rd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Opera. I already have a browser open all the time, why use another program?
Its interface is also unintrusive and integrated into the browser in a very nice way. Opera also has a tray icon by default that has an indicator of unread mail on it - a feature that is lacking in both Evolution and Thunderbird.

BTW i used Evolution, Thunderbird and Seamonkey before. I liked Seamonkey better - again this too has the mail component integrated in the browser (well sort of, you work in a separate window). Evolution was/is buggy (tried a few times, but every the time i had some issues. Seamonkey was the most stable of them.
But i like Opera best, they should get an award for innovative features and workflow.

uRock
March 3rd, 2011, 10:14 PM
I use Thunderchicken. It looks better, imo, and outside of no having a working Lightning extension, it runs very well.

I tried Evolution a few times, but the Ubuntu theming didn't apply to it, which made it look like something from Windows 95.

NMFTM
March 3rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Opera. I already have a browser open all the time, why use another program?...BTW i used Evolution, Thunderbird and Seamonkey before. I liked Seamonkey better - again this too has the mail component integrated in the browser
Maybe it's just me, and it seems it's getting more and more that way as more things are transferred over to port 80. But, I see web browsing and email reading as two separate activities that just both happen to use the Internet as a pipeline to transfer the information. I don't really like the idea of trying to make every single activity attached in some way to my browser. It's really getting ridiculous. For example, if you go over to the Google Chrome app 'store' you'll see all kinds of addons that have nothing to do with web browsing. Like constellation viewers, weather displays, etc. Although, this seems to be more and more what people want.

NightwishFan
March 3rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
I tried Evolution a few times, but the Ubuntu theming didn't apply to it, which made it look like something from Windows 95.

Really? Thats odd. :confused:

Dry Lips
March 3rd, 2011, 10:23 PM
NMFTM wrote:

That's quite an understatement. Modern encryption is more like sending it in a steel safe inside a larger safe. Although, I'm sure Evolution has an OpenPGP addon as well.
I don't think so. Evolution isn't on the list of supported
email clients. Correct me if I'm wrong... Eudora supports
Enigmail, though.
http://enigmail.mozdev.org/links/index.php.html

I agree it's a shame that so few realize the importance
of having encrypted mail. It's no good having Enigmail
when so few of those you choose to mail with use encryption.

NMFTM
March 3rd, 2011, 10:37 PM
I don't think so. Evolution isn't on the list of supported email clients. Correct me if I'm wrong... Eudora supports Enigmail, though http://enigmail.mozdev.org/links/index.php.html
Enigmail is just a frontend for GPG, which is one way to make use of the OpenPGP encryption standard. Similar to how Chrome's V8 engine is just one way to run JavaScript. Evolution actually has built in (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnuPrivacyGuardHowto#Evolution) OpenPGP support.

Dry Lips
March 3rd, 2011, 10:52 PM
NMFTM wrote:

Enigmail is just a frontend for GPG, which is one way to make use of the OpenPGP encryption standard. Similar to how Chrome's V8 engine is just one way to run JavaScript. Evolution actually has built in (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnuPrivacyGuardHowto#Evolution) OpenPGP support.
Hmm... No Enigmail was my main reason for
not using Evolution. Perhaps I should have a
second look at it... Do you prefer Evolution to
Thunderbird?

aysiu
March 3rd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Haha I expected Thunderbird to get overwhelming response but it's ability to use Exchange is horribly crippled.

Anyone manage to get Thunderbird + Exchange working well? I know the IMAP method but then I can't sync calendars which is pretty important to me. Not everybody uses Microsoft Exchange for email. If you use a proper IMAP/POP3 email, you can use whatever client you want.

donkyhotay
March 3rd, 2011, 11:11 PM
Another thunderbird user here, I'm curious why this isn't a poll to figure out peoples answers faster?

speedwell68
March 4th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Thunderbird FTW. Although I am forced to use Outlook at work.

Irihapeti
March 4th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Thunderbird with Lightning for calendar.

I've also got a lightweight Openbox install on my netbook, and I use Seamonkey on that. The email portion is similar enough to Tbird to make switching between the two quite straightforward.

handy
March 4th, 2011, 12:49 AM
ISP web based: It has a good address book, you can create groups to email to (if you need to), terrific spam/virus filtering, highly configurable.

Hakunka-Matata
March 4th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Thunderbird & Lightning : and a couple of Add-ons; Keeps address books and calendars synced:
TBird/Lightning <<both-ways>> Gmail

caro
March 4th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Thunderbird here. I keep my calendar on my Blackberry and Thunderbird just works. I have no desire to access everything via a web browser.

_outlawed_
March 4th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Does firefox gmail tab count? :P

Dragonbite
March 4th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Opera. I already have a browser open all the time, why use another program?
Its interface is also unintrusive and integrated into the browser in a very nice way. Opera also has a tray icon by default that has an indicator of unread mail on it - a feature that is lacking in both Evolution and Thunderbird.

Netscape used to include an email client as well if I remember correctly, and that was one of the things about Firefox that people liked (among other things).

TechWiz2100
March 4th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Although, this seems to be more and more what people want.

It's a fad for those who don't compute professionally/enthusiastically

Like netbooks... -cringe-

Not everybody uses Microsoft Exchange for email. If you use a proper IMAP/POP3 email, you can use whatever client you want.

I know that but some people do use it any I was hoping to get responses from them.

I'm curious why this isn't a poll to figure out peoples answers faster?

Too many different clients and some of them I never would have even thought of including... like mutt and Opera

treesurf
March 4th, 2011, 06:20 AM
It's a fad for those who don't compute professionally/enthusiastically

Which is most people.

gradinaruvasile
March 4th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Netscape used to include an email client as well if I remember correctly, and that was one of the things about Firefox that people liked (among other things).

Seamonkey IS Netscape continued - it also uses the latest Firefox engine + the latest Thunderbird engine.

scouser73
March 4th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I used to really like Thunderbird but have ditched the email clients and stuck with webmail.

TechWiz2100
March 4th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Which is most people.

I know and it kinda sucks because then we get the short end of the stick...

Thank god for companies like Intel, AMD, IBM and Sony though that stay true to their loyal enthusiasts.

We've recently lost Apple to the dark side especially with the upcoming release of Lion...

uRock
March 4th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Like netbooks... -cringe-
Funny how many of the people I see lugging those ~17" portable desktops around at school say they wish they had bought a netbook. Not sure why someone needs a portable home theater to do simple computing, but if they do, I don't cringe or harass them in any way or think that I am better than them for it.

aysiu
March 4th, 2011, 05:56 PM
If Apple had marketed netbooks, you can bet they'd be a lot trendier. Asus does not have that kind of marketing power.

TechWiz2100
March 4th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Funny how many of the people I see lugging those ~17" portable desktops around at school say they wish they had bought a netbook. Not sure why someone needs a portable home theater to do simple computing, but if they do, I don't cringe or harass them in any way or think that I am better than them for it.

I don't think I'm better because I have a 17" Lenovo I just hate netbooks because they suck at doing everything and are designed for people with tiny hands. I can't stand anything less than a full sized keyboard (missing numpad is acceptable tho) and I dislike how unresponsive those things can be with their little Atom processors and what not.

Also I don't think of laptops as "portable desktops" at all! Laptops back in the day were trying to be portable desktops but now they seem to have learned their place a bit better and are being designed to be lighter and lighter.

Desktop = Beast without legs, Laptop = Mobile workspace, netbook = 1/3 of a laptop =P

Dragonbite
March 4th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Netbooks are handy for day-to-day type things and their portability is very much appreciated compared to 17" systems.

But when I want to do development or graphical work the large screen is very, very nice. There are a number of tasks I prefer to do on my desktop due to the large (20" widescreen) monitor.

My work system is a 15" Lenovo (T61) but I have the benefit of dual-monitors which helps a lot too (though I am starting to prefer the single, large screen).

Quadunit404
March 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I have large hands so a netbook would NOT work out for me very well. Instead I have a $959 15.3" laptop from Samsung designed for high-end gaming and multimedia.

And how did this become a discussion about netbooks and how people who lug around ~17" laptops wish they bought a netbook instead?

...Oh, right. This post. (Note: this isn't meant to be an attack against uRock, I'm just stating this post managed to derail the thread)

jerenept
March 4th, 2011, 09:19 PM
If Apple had marketed netbooks, you can bet they'd be a lot trendier. Asus does not have that kind of marketing power.

They have one; the MacBook Air 11", although at $1000, it's not exactly the same price range.

TechWiz2100
March 4th, 2011, 09:31 PM
(Note: this isn't meant to be an attack against uRock, I'm just stating this post managed to derail the thread)

The original topic is pretty much done because its like 70% Thunderbird 20% everything else and 10% webmail lol
**These are guestimates not actual calculated values**

I guess its hard as hell to find something that is solid like Thunderbird with functionality like Evo suite

Dragonbite
March 4th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Really, Mail clients haven't changed all that much despite the years.

In Windows 7 I was actually surprised by Live Mail connecting to 2x IMAP and my Live account (seems to be IMAP even though I don't think I can IMAP to it via other clients). Except that Live Mail takes a long (longer than full-blown Evolution) to load up on the same machine (dual-boot)!

uRock
March 4th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I don't think I'm better because I have a 17" Lenovo I just hate netbooks because they suck at doing everything and are designed for people with tiny hands. I can't stand people with side burns, but I don't scoff at them for it.

...Oh, right. This post. (Note: this isn't meant to be an attack against uRock, I'm just stating this post managed to derail the thread)
Lol, I was only replying to an attack on Netbook users.

OT: Thunderbird works great on desktop, laptop and my netbook for taking care of my email needs.

lisati
March 4th, 2011, 10:38 PM

Back in the day when I was a teenager, several centuries 30-something years ago, having a hand-held calculator was a big deal, and car phones was something that you generally only saw in the movies. But I digress.

At home I use both Evolution and Thunderbird. At work, I'm able to access my personal email via Squirellmail (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Squirrelmail), Roundcube (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Roundcube) and Afterlogic Webmail Lite (http://www.afterlogic.com/products/webmail-lite), all for the same email system: the one I use depends on what I'm doing.

treesurf
March 5th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I really hope Google releases an offline version of Gmail that is compatible with the Chrome browser. I really liked being to use the webmail interface of Gmail as an offline client back when I used Firefox+Google Gears.

cblnchat
March 5th, 2011, 05:13 AM
I prefer Thunderbird! Ive always had so much trouble with evolution ive never even bothered using it till i found thunderbird.

stmiller
March 7th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Postler looks cool:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/02/postler-elementary-e-mail-application-released/

WinterMadness
March 7th, 2011, 01:03 AM
whatever is on my nexus 1.

Hur Dur
March 7th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Sylpheed.

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Sylpheed.

I forgot about Sylpheed. :D

Dragonbite
March 7th, 2011, 02:43 AM
I find it also depends on whether it is a large screen or not. Larger screens allow for the additives of full-blown Evolution (folder bar, buttons for contacts/calendars/etc.) or just email.
Desktop w/20" monitor = Evolution
Laptop w/12" screen = Evolution Express
and Thunderbird is in the wings in case either of these start messing up.

carolinabranden
March 7th, 2011, 03:19 AM
My favorite mail client is Live Mail while my second choice would have to be Thunderbird. :D

Dr. C
March 7th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Thunderbird. One of the things I really like is the built in Bayesian anti spam filter which over the years I have trained on virtually every kind of Microsoft Windows malware, phishing emails, 419 scams etc.

Bayesian anti spam filters properly trained can be a very effective tool against malware and viruses. In my Microsoft Windows 98 days, I remember using Popfile to detect and catch a Microsoft Windows virus before it was detected by the sender's commercial anti-virus software which was fully up to date. The anti-virus software found the virus one day later.

JustinR
March 7th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Thunderbird +1

I have it running continuously for a loooong periods of time, and it has never crashed.

I wonder why ubuntu team still wants to use evolution? Thunderbird is much better.

Evolution is a groupware suite, like Outlook - it offers Email, Calender, Tasks, Memos etc. - unlike Thunderbird - which is just an email/news client.

Dragonbite
March 7th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Evolution is a groupware suite, like Outlook - it offers Email, Calender, Tasks, Memos etc. - unlike Thunderbird - which is just an email/news client.

Thunderbird may (plus you forgot Contacts), but the Lightning extension includes Calendar sync. I think there are Tasks too with Lightning, though they don't sync with anything yet.

So it isn't difficult to get Thunderbird to do more.