PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with AMD Radeon 6870

DavitosanX
March 3rd, 2011, 01:02 PM
Hello everybody! I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit on my computer, with almost everything working fine out of the box. I had some issues with the wireless card (D Link DWA 525, which I actually solved!!! I'll post how I did it if anyone is interested)

The original display settings were functional, but I wanted to get a better resolution, so I downloaded/installed the ATI drivers directly through Ubuntu (you know, when the system tells you that there is proprietary software that you could use and gives you the option to install it. I never entered ATI's website or anything)

If I'm not mistaken, the module that got installed was fglrx. Well, after that I rebooted and the system gets stuck right before the screen where you enter Username and password. The keyboard doesn't respond either. I have to do a hard reset.

In one of those hard resets, the video card fans went into max speed for a few seconds and that really freaked me out!

Trying to fix this, I entered ubuntu in recovery mode, directly into bash, and blacklisted fglrx, but the problem stayed the same.

I figure I could always re-install Ubuntu and try to get the video card working properly from a desktop environment, but I would like to try repairing this issue from what I've got, which is just the console.

My system specs are:

AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.2 GHz
4 GB DDR3 RAM
Gygabyte 890XA-UD3 motherboard
MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II (Equivalent to AMD Radeon 6870, but with two cooling fans)
Perfect Choice 800W power supply

Just in caso you were wondering, the video card works fine, acceleration and all, with AMD's drivers in windows.

Well, that's it. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'll be most grateful. Thanks a lot for reading this :D

P.S. when starting ubuntu there is always a message that reads " [some number] Too many connections" . I have no idea what that means, and the message number seems to be different every time.