PDA

View Full Version : Which distribution comes with more preloaded apps-Peppermint or lubuntu?

brawnypandora0
March 3rd, 2011, 08:04 AM
I'm using Ubuntu right now, but I find that it's too laggy (I only have 512MB of DDR RAM). I thus can only consider a lightweight alternative, and the ones that seem to be the most user-friendly for beginners are Peppermint and lubuntu. So which one is faster?

More important, which one comes preloaded with Java? I also want to learn how to program with Java. Is it easy to install JCreator with both?

ikt
March 3rd, 2011, 09:43 AM
I'm using Ubuntu right now, but I find that it's too laggy (I only have 512MB of DDR RAM). I thus can only consider a lightweight alternative, and the ones that seem to be the most user-friendly for beginners are Peppermint and lubuntu. So which one is faster?

Most likely lubuntu.

More important, which one comes preloaded with Java? I also want to learn how to program with Java. Is it easy to install JCreator with both?

Neither afaik come with it preloaded, installation of software in peppermint would be easier because it has the software manager, however if you get used to apt-get* then either should be fine.

*https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

mastablasta
March 3rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Lubuntu has synaptic for software management.

Peppermint is ment for cloud computing so plenty applications there are in that department. you can always add more ofcourse.

But in your place i would first focus on the lagginess. it could be that it's cause by poor graphics card drivers rather than lack of ram.

You can also try to install XFCE (or even LXDE) and then select it before login to try and see if it actually makes any diffrence.

i am running Ubuntu on 256MB ram.

things you can do to free a bit of ram. select a simple theme (clearlooks), turn off any special desktop effects, reduce the number of virtual desktops, remove the background picture.

even so with propper graphics card and drivers 512MB should still be plenty for Ubuntu.