PDA

View Full Version : Windows to be Delayed until June 2007?

bonzodog
May 3rd, 2006, 06:42 PM
Windows "Vapourware" Vista is to be delayed yet again?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/05/02/microsoft.vista.reut/index.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/03/gartner_vista_delay/

Sheinar
May 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
What does everyone reckon will come out first? Windows Vista or Duke Nukem Forever?

matthinckley
May 3rd, 2006, 06:49 PM
is there really another duke nukem coming out??? that would be sweet!!!

Sheinar
May 3rd, 2006, 06:51 PM
is there really another duke nukem coming out???
Every Duke Nukem fan has been wondering that for the past nine years.

Lovechild
May 3rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/WTF_/hijacker_2.jpg

s/thread/vaporware

magomago
May 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
we will see...if it is delayed to July 2007 all it means is they want it good and polished; this may mean they will spend an extra few months on really making the system shine, or its still are huge bugs and rewrites to be done.

But considering how Vista builds are shaping up to be (I don't have it...I just look using the screen shots) it doesn't seem that it won't be seen till June 2007~ if that really is the case then they have to be adding something to it

mcduck
May 3rd, 2006, 09:14 PM
What does everyone reckon will come out first? Windows Vista or Duke Nukem Forever?
or perhaps the new Guns 'n Roses album? :-k

bonzodog
May 3rd, 2006, 09:32 PM
heh..perhaps they are waiting to bundle Duke Nukem forever with Vista, thus all these delays, but interestingly, I came across this article, by the famous Dvorak, which predicts that MS are dead in the water, and the sharks and penguins are circling...:
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B629B28CD-9E0E-48CA-8E8B-243AA6E2CB92%7D

BoyOfDestiny
May 3rd, 2006, 09:51 PM
we will see...if it is delayed to July 2007 all it means is they want it good and polished; this may mean they will spend an extra few months on really making the system shine, or its still are huge bugs and rewrites to be done.

But considering how Vista builds are shaping up to be (I don't have it...I just look using the screen shots) it doesn't seem that it won't be seen till June 2007~ if that really is the case then they have to be adding something to it

I agree that it would be of more value if it came from MS's mouth.
In terms off adding features, haven't heard about that... One more is gone:

Microsoft drops native SecurID support from Vista (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060503-6734.html)

Of course it may come out later, like the other features that have been cut away (i.e. winfs, monad, etc)

NeghVar
May 3rd, 2006, 10:03 PM
Im curious as to what will be coming with Vista... so far anything that could have possibly justified the 2-3k $ price tag once you include the hardware to run it has been removed.

I don't see them polishing it anymore, although they could be. Id say its more likely they found a bunch of bugs and actually decided to fix them this time around.

dasunst3r
May 3rd, 2006, 10:07 PM
It looks like the open source community has not another two releases, but THREE to get the spiffy stuff (i.e. XGL) working under more hardware platforms! Coders, start your IDEs! :D

htinn
May 3rd, 2006, 10:11 PM
It doesn't matter when they ship the first version of Vista. You know it won't work right until SP1 or SP2 (which will be another year later).

The soonest possible time that I would even consider buying Vista would be Christmas 2008 (and that might be jumping the gun a bit).

K.Mandla
May 3rd, 2006, 11:02 PM
It doesn't matter when they ship the first version of Vista. You know it won't work right until SP1 or SP2 (which will be another year later).
That's the truth. I never used XP until SP2.

Microsoft can actually put together elegant and powerful architectures when it wants to, (but) is being killed by Open Source systems that are free and almost just as powerful. Microsoft has been unable to cope with Open Source except to complain about it. ...

I see a company that has settled in and has become big, profitable, and unexciting, lacking real focus or spirit.

Stormy Eyes
May 4th, 2006, 12:50 AM

E17

rcarring
May 4th, 2006, 08:20 AM
I think the current round of litigation in Europe has caused MS to put back the date of Vista's release.

3rdalbum
May 4th, 2006, 10:27 AM
I think the Spice Girls will release a fourth album before Microsoft releases Vista.

jc87
May 4th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I think the Spice Girls will release a fourth album before Microsoft releases Vista.

So this mean we can be pretty sure that neither one will be relesead , weeeeeeeee:rolleyes:

Mr_J_
May 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I already heard about this and I keep wondering about what are they doing?
Have they started looking for bugs BEFORE the OS is out?
Could it be?
That would be amazing!

Of course the next release after Dapper Drake will be out by then...

This could also be a trick. It'll be out 2007, and then on Xmas it comes out and they say we came out earlier than expected. Only 6 years behind isn't too bad!

Pack it with Diablo 3 and Duke Nukem Forever!