PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 10.10 desktop usb install not working

TheF00
March 3rd, 2011, 12:51 AM
Hi. I am trying to install 10.10 on my laptop. I have used Universal-USB-Installer to create a bootable usb stick (sandisk cruzer).
I already have xp on the first partition (I installed this via usb so know that the laptop is capable of it).

Booting to the usb stick brings me to the install menu forst. I choose "install to hard drive" which just reloads the same menu. Tried over and over, also tried booting as a live cd but this has the same result.

Formated the stick and repreped it and got the same problem.

Any help would be great. I am compleatly at a loss right now. :(

sanderd17
March 3rd, 2011, 12:55 AM
What happens when you choose the "try ubuntu" option?

TheF00
March 3rd, 2011, 01:01 AM
What happens when you choose the "try ubuntu" option?

As in run it live from the usb? If thats what you mean then it has the exact same problem, just reloads the menu. The repair option does work though as in it goes past the first menu, but since theres nothing installed its not much use.

sanderd17
March 3rd, 2011, 01:23 AM
yes, that was what I meand.

When you boot from the usb, can you press a key when you see the first purple screen?

That should take you to a text menu where you can choose your language, keyoard and other things

try booting ubuntu from that menu, don't install it from there (unless you are pretty confident of yourself and don't mind reinstalling everything when something goes wrong).

TheF00
March 3rd, 2011, 10:38 AM
I dont get a purple screen. It goes strait to the boot menu.

I should also add that I can boot from my backtack usb fine and everything works. SO I cant see why this doesent.

Please please help. I really would rather run ubuntu than xp.

sanderd17
March 3rd, 2011, 10:48 AM
when you boot, you should see this screen: http://pricklytech.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/ubuntu-boot-01.png

This is the screen where you should press a key.

Did you otherwise arrive at screens like this?
http://karuppuswamy.com/wordpress/2010/09/20/review-with-screenshots-new-installation-wizard-for-ubuntu-10-10-maverick/

If you didn't get those, I think you downloaded something wrong, maybe you downloaded the alternate installer or the server edition. Can you check what you downloaded?

TheF00
March 3rd, 2011, 03:01 PM
No I get nether of those. The screen I get is gray, with two ubuntu logos. I'll redownload now incase thats it. I'll report back. Thanks man.

TheF00
March 7th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the help. I redownloaded and everything worked perfectly :)

sanderd17
March 7th, 2011, 04:41 PM
was it a corrupt download? Or did you just download the wrong file?

TheF00
March 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Honestly dont know. I suspect it was corrupted because the file names where the same. Although the only difference was the firs time I downloaded it was via a torrent and this time I did a direct download. I suppose that could be part of it.