PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update failed

MemorX
March 2nd, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hi,

I am not a very active user of linux, but I have used Ubuntu before.
The thing that strikes me, is that each time the OS asks me to update something, I get sceptical, especially if I am running a desktop version.

It seems to me that 1/3 times I do this, it fails (and never boots again).
And I would think that this is not good for a desktop version, intended on normal users.

Last night I did an update.
After a while the computer asked me to reboot, and I let it.

The result was that it rebooted, startet the GUI,
and displayed some error about some file related to it.

I rebooted again, and now it wont boot at all,
it just displays a black screen with text cursor blinking in the upper left corner.

I would prefer not to do a clean install, so I would like to try to fix the problem.
As these errors happen pretty often during updates.

But where do I start? How do I get it to boot, or figure out what is wrong?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

swapnilnarendra
March 3rd, 2011, 10:03 AM
I would like to ask how do you usually install Ubuntu on your system ?
Do you use CD/DVD or a USB Disk for the same ?

I also faced the same issue. But after installing it via USB disk the system failure has reduced a lot and I barely face such a problem. Maybe it is just me, but I think that it happens most of the time when Ubuntu is installed via CD/DVD.

Also, I would suggest to create a partition separate for your data and to use it for (ext3)journaling file system. So that if it happens again and you are not left with any option other than a fresh installation, your data is untouched.

And yes, if the developers are viewing this thread, this is one of the annoying things of Ubuntu which is a major drawback (MAJOR DRAWBACK-SALUTE :D).

Please get it fixed as soon as you people can !

mörgæs
March 3rd, 2011, 11:00 AM
... and displayed some error about some file related to it.

A little more information would be nice.