PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Safe way to install Ubuntu of PC

102jon
March 2nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Hi, I recently installed Ubuntu on my laptop which runs via Oracle's Virutal Machine. I'd like to run Ubuntu on my PC desktop computer as well, but without the virtual machine. I'd also like to run it alone, and not alongside windows 7 (which it currently runs). I tried doing it with my laptop (via wubi installer) but the network driver was crap so I couldn't connect to a wireless network. What would be the best way to go about this, making sure I can connect to wireless? The Ubuntu website suggests CD or USB installations work the best, however some third party opinions would be nice to hear.

Joe of loath
March 2nd, 2011, 07:26 PM
A regular dual boot sounds like your best bet, and you can get the wifi working once it's installed.

You can just boot from the CD and install either over Windows, or shrink the Windows partition and install alongside it.

Frogs Hair
March 2nd, 2011, 10:46 PM
You may or may not have seen this already.https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

bcbc
March 3rd, 2011, 05:58 AM
Hi, I recently installed Ubuntu on my laptop which runs via Oracle's Virutal Machine. I'd like to run Ubuntu on my PC desktop computer as well, but without the virtual machine. I'd also like to run it alone, and not alongside windows 7 (which it currently runs). I tried doing it with my laptop (via wubi installer) but the network driver was crap so I couldn't connect to a wireless network. What would be the best way to go about this, making sure I can connect to wireless? The Ubuntu website suggests CD or USB installations work the best, however some third party opinions would be nice to hear.

Well I can tell you the wireless problem has nothing to do with whether it's wubi or not. You should figure this out - which you can do even by booting a live CD - before you wipe out windows.

The networking and wireless subforum (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336) has some stickies you should read and post there if you need further help.