PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation of Ubuntu and Windows 7

DrBob89
March 2nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
I need to do a clean install of Windows, so I am going to take this opportunity to transition my desktop to Ubuntu. Unfortunately, she-who-must-be-obeyed uses MS Office at work and insists that Open Office will not substitute.

So, the plan is to leave her a small Windows 7 partition with MS office and use the rest for Ubuntu.

Which OS do I install first? Ubuntu with grub and ******* second?

Megaptera
March 2nd, 2011, 06:49 PM
It is simpler to install Windows first then Ubuntu. Grub "finds" Windows whereas to get the Windows bootloader to find other operating systems requires a little more user input. It's not impossible but as you've got the choice I'd suggest Windows first.

nuffink666
March 2nd, 2011, 07:02 PM
defo do W7 first and you can do this one of a few ways either dual boot your disk with W7 and all its thousands of fixes first :) and the Ubuntu second as suggested to save hassle on boot loader or install W7 on disk and then install Ubuntu Wubi and let it partition your disk and install that way then when you (god forbid) not use ubuntu anymore its easier to remove. regarding the missus - depends on what version of Ms she uses as 2010 saves (AFAIK) default to odf format which so does openoffice (personally OO is cool for most things) but if she needed to save to pre MS file types then OO does that 2 - take a firm stand (from a distance) :P

samacaster
March 2nd, 2011, 07:04 PM
I would like to also add in keeping with the plan to keep she-who-must-be-obeyed happy that after you install windows, then Ubuntu, get StartUpManager through Synaptic and use it to make the windows install the default boot. I too, have to obey, and she was none to thrilled (read ANGRY) when I told her that she would have to use the arrow keys to select the Win7(loader)