PDA

View Full Version : IBM is visiting my school next week...

Muffinabus
March 2nd, 2011, 05:49 PM
to recruit students for their new service delivery center. I'm a bit nervous meeting them as I do not really know what to expect. We were told to dress nicely and bring our resumes so I would imagine it is almost going to be an informal interview.

This would be my first interview for an IT position, I've never had a job in IT. Does anyone with more experience with this kind of stuff have any advice, other than generic interview stuff?

I'm pretty excited as a job with IBM would be amazing but I can't help from being nervous.

http://www-03.ibm.com/employment/us/jobs/columbia_mo.html

Link to some info on their new office in Columbia, MO.

wormyblackburny
March 2nd, 2011, 06:05 PM
Here is what my experience has been:

If you don't know the answer to a technical question, don't try to BS it. Tell them "I'm not sure, I would probably consult Google for that one or the man pages". You don't NEED to know everything, you just need to show that you have a decent enough knowledge of what is going on that you will be "trainable", plus its better to ASK someone than to go off half cocked and mess up something ;)

Muffinabus
March 2nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
Here is what my experience has been:

If you don't know the answer to a technical question, don't try to BS it. Tell them "I'm not sure, I would probably consult Google for that one or the man pages". You don't NEED to know everything, you just need to show that you have a decent enough knowledge of what is going on that you will be "trainable", plus its better to ASK someone than to go off half cocked and mess up something ;)

That's the kind of advice I'm looking for, thanks!

mips
March 2nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
This would be my first interview for an IT position, I've never had a job in IT. Does anyone with more experience with this kind of stuff have any advice, other than generic interview stuff?

I'm pretty excited as a job with IBM would be amazing but I can't help from being nervous.[/url]

Relax, they are not going to ask you heavy technical questions or be out to trick you.

Be open and honest, don't try and answer a question hoping to make it fit into the box you think they have, just answer it like you think is right to you. If you don't know the answer to a question just say so. Make sure you know your strengths and weaknesses. Have some idea as to what you want to achieve with your future and where you would like to see yourself 10yrs from now. Be positive and enthusiastic, those are very good qualities to have. Be aware of the value of team work and interpersonal skills, they might ask you some disguised questions wrt this.

Take a breath and relax ;)

Muffinabus
March 2nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Relax, they are not going to ask you heavy technical questions or be out to trick you.

Be open and honest, don't try and answer a question hoping to make it fit into the box you think they have, just answer it like you think is right to you. If you don't know the answer to a question just say so. Make sure you know your strengths and weaknesses. Have some idea as to what you want to achieve with your future and where you would like to see yourself 10yrs from now. Be positive and enthusiastic, those are very good qualities to have. Be aware of the value of team work and interpersonal skills, they might ask you some disguised questions wrt this.

Take a breath and relax ;)

This is nice to hear, just because in an interview I imagined a whole lot of questions about Linux commands I might've used but can't remember and all that sort of jazz (:

I can definitely be positive and enthusiastic, I already am, it's just I've never interviewed for a real job before and don't really know what to expect.

Canime
March 2nd, 2011, 06:31 PM
Good first impressions are a start.

wormyblackburny
March 2nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
Oh, DEFINITELY do NOT show up drunk :) I always forget to mention that to college students...LOL

KiwiNZ
March 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
My Wife holds a senior position at IBM , if I can give one piece of advice it is this. IBM is conservative.
Remember that , dress and act accordingly.

matt_symes
March 2nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Hi

Enunciate your words clearly. Never use slang. Polish your shoes. If writing, always double check grammar and spelling. Don't be afraid of wearing a shirt and tie. It looks smart.

These are the basics. You must also relax. They are human as well and at one point they also had their first interview.

Go knock them dead.

Kind regards

koenn
March 2nd, 2011, 08:53 PM
what mips said,
and then this:

ask yourself why you'd want to work for IBM.
ask yourself what sort of job you'd really want to do.

it's possible you you get that sort of question during an interview, and it helps having thought about that in advance.

And even if they don't ask, it's still worth asking yourself.

If "I want to make money, any job will do", is all you can come up with, you may have a problem.

mips
March 2nd, 2011, 09:12 PM
This is nice to hear, just because in an interview I imagined a whole lot of questions about Linux commands I might've used but can't remember and all that sort of jazz (:

I have never in my life had and interview that concentrated on heavy technical issues. They usually just brush over the technical aspect to try and grasp your level of knowledge. Later on some might require you to do an aptitude or competency test.

Canime
March 3rd, 2011, 04:22 AM
If you are really really bold you can wait for the opportunity where they ask YOU what you want from THEM. Namely money, its tricky but some employers will ask YOU how much you think you should be payed. At that point you can express how much you need and what kinds of benefits will be working for you.

Its a two way street, and its worth thinking about yourself and what you want from it, and its necessary to work it out from the beginning.

icchi
March 3rd, 2011, 07:58 AM
Take the advice from all the above posts and iam pretty sure you will do well in the interview!
also keep us informed on how it went
Good Luck :)

Canime
March 3rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
Don't talk about money with them.

mips
March 3rd, 2011, 10:38 AM
If you are really really bold you can wait for the opportunity where they ask YOU what you want from THEM. Namely money, its tricky but some employers will ask YOU how much you think you should be payed. At that point you can express how much you need and what kinds of benefits will be working for you.

Its a two way street, and its worth thinking about yourself and what you want from it, and its necessary to work it out from the beginning.

Money never comes up in the initial interview. Don't go there!

matt_symes
March 3rd, 2011, 12:49 PM
Hi

Yes. Keep well away from the subject of money unless they bring it up, especially if the interview is informal.

Kind regards

Muffinabus
March 14th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Well, thought I'd let you guys know what went down and how.

Like I said, it wasn't actually an interview, it was more like an informal conference that they were having about the new jobs opening up. There were maybe 25-30 other students there, 3 IBM hiring managers, and a recruiter. I spoke with one of the hiring managers and the recruiter, handed them my resume and a cover letter, and found out that their Linux/Unix position is one of the positions they're in "dire need" for (:

Anywho, I have officially applied online to their nine entry level positions and hope to hear from them soon!

My girlfriend had an interview with Exelon (for their Nuclear plants) on the same day, so we'll see who get's called first :3

rg4w
March 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Best of luck with that. Let us know how it works out.

Fingers crossed for you....

zacktu
March 14th, 2011, 02:51 PM
The people who visit a school will most likely not ask technical questions. They're selecting applicants for a second interview. Sometimes they bring along someone who works for their company and who is a recent graduate of your school.

mips
March 14th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Good luck!

koenn
March 14th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Anywho, I have officially applied online to their nine entry level positions and hope to hear from them soon!

good luck,
let us know how it turns out

linuxforartists
March 15th, 2011, 11:39 AM
One thing that works really well for me is to have 3 "stories" ready for an interview. Think of past instances where you overcame a challenge, solved a difficult problem, helped someone else, things like that. Technical projects would be good, but sometimes an unrelated life story can be more memorable.

Get the stories straight in your head and even practice telling them. Then you'll be prepared if they ask you any tough situational questions, e.g."How would you handle a difficult co-worker?"

Definitely get the business card of the person who interviews you. Then send a nice, short e-mail the next day to follow up. Be nice, and mention a specific detail that shows you remember them as a person. Especially something that you and the interviewer have in common, like, "Great to see someone from our high school making it at IBM." Don't beg for a job, they know you want one.

Even if you don't get a position, don't get discouraged. The interviewer may like you enough to recommend you for a different job, maybe at another company. You'd be surprised at how often that happens.

Good luck!