PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Open Office

Zundap
March 2nd, 2011, 12:24 PM
Hi, i am having a problem with Open Office, but only when i am using Firefox, when i try to reduce Open Office to the task bar, or bring Open Office up from the task bar, Open Office crashes the computer and i have reboot it. This does not happen every time, but it is a quite frequent occurrence.

Is anyone e ls anyone else having this problem? Thanks.

Blutkoete
March 2nd, 2011, 01:21 PM
Hello!

Just for clarification:

You have Firefox running. When you now minimize (reduce to the taskbar) Open Office or maximize (bring it up from the taskbar) Open Office your system crashes. Not every time, but quite often.

It doesn't happen if Firefox is not running.

Is that correct?

Mariane
March 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
I've had both OO and Firefox running together with no problems. Maybe it's a bad combination of versions? Try an update. Also, when OO crashes, avoid the automatic recovery when you restart it.

If SUDO is all-powerful, can SUDO start a process that SUDO can't kill?

Tryed writing a script which randomly changes your root password, then running it as sudo?

Mariane

houseworkshy
March 2nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
A java issue perhaps? If so one can use the firefox settings to block its use of it. Can't do this with open office as it runs on it. I use both simultainiously so it's not inherent. Perhaps a bit of reinstalling.

If a low ram thing , system monitor would show that one up, then maybe use abiword as a wp instead.

uRock
March 2nd, 2011, 04:58 PM
How much RAM does your system have? What version of Ubuntu are you running?

Zundap
March 2nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }a:link { }

Just for clarification:

You have Firefox running. When you now minimize (reduce to the taskbar) Open Office or maximize (bring it up from the taskbar) Open Office your system crashes. Not every time, but quite often.

It doesn't happen if Firefox is not running.

Is that correct?

Thanks for the reply Blutkoete (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1033489)
Strangely enough, that was the case till just now, Open Office has just crashed on me right now, with out Firefox being opened, but this the first time its done that. Everything else is as you say.

I've had both OO and Firefox running together with no problems. Maybe it's a bad combination of versions? Try an update. Also, when OO crashes, avoid the automatic recovery when you restart it.

Thanks Mariane (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=242283) but could you tell me what automatic recovery is? The only recovery process I know is the one that is offered when I re-boot.

Tryed writing a script which randomly changes your root password, then running it as sudo?

Thanks Mariane, but I'm afraid that is way beyond by understanding, I have no idea what scripts would be required or what to do with the scripts either, but thanks anyway.

How much RAM does your system have? What version of Ubuntu are you running?

Thanks uRock, my computer has 2 gig of RAM, and I am using UBUNTU 10.10.