PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PDF reader that can highlight text

jeshrel
March 2nd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Hi,

Can someone give me a list of pdf reader or editor in ubuntu in which we would be able to highlight text and also add notes in a PDF like "Abobe 10" and "Nitro PDf reader" in "WINDOWS"

vivek.pandey
March 2nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
you can get adobe for ubuntu too.search in synaptic or software center

jeshrel
March 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
yes i did try could find any, do u know any software that can highlight or add text

beew
March 2nd, 2011, 09:58 AM
Try Okular, you may also take a look at xournal.

Adobe is a horrible resource hog imo, 100+ M just to read pdf is crazy.

vivek.pandey
March 2nd, 2011, 10:05 AM
in adobe (obviously talking about ubuntu) under tool option you have customise toolbar there are options highlight underline etc. did you try that?

gandaran
March 2nd, 2011, 10:36 AM
install xournal from package manager, it will do the highlight text and also add notes in PDFs

gandaran
March 2nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
in adobe (obviously talking about ubuntu) under tool option you have customise toolbar there are options highlight underline etc. did you try that?
hi
those highlight underline options in adobe reader only work if documents rights are enabled so how do I enable those documents rights?
thanks

jprobe
March 4th, 2011, 01:19 AM
I use PDF Xchange Viewer through wine, but I only really use it for highlighting purposes. In that regard, I think that it might be worth looking into. I can't recall a time when I had issues with permissions, so I will not speak to that point. Good luck!

darwinxie
June 9th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Me too, using PDF Xchange Viewer, but I need something that works like Nitro PDF in windows, so I can directly highlight important session in my pDF documents..

mike555
June 9th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I use Xournal , it works great .........

jeshrel
June 30th, 2011, 08:29 AM
@beew - in ubuntu 10.10 i am able to find adobe reader 9 and in it i do not find the option called tool, but i am able to find customize but it does not have the option to highlight.

shuttleworthwannabe
June 30th, 2011, 08:50 AM
@beew - in ubuntu 10.10 i am able to find adobe reader 9 and in it i do not find the option called tool, but i am able to find customize but it does not have the option to highlight.
That has been my experience as well. Xournal seems to be your best bet. Here is a good tutorial (http://www.g-loaded.eu/2008/05/03/how-to-annotate-pdf-files-in-linux-using-xournal/).

SirMba
May 3rd, 2013, 05:04 PM
Go for Okular.
Press F6, it will bring the highlight, underline, note, etc. options.

oldos2er
May 3rd, 2013, 05:06 PM
Closed, please don't bump old threads.