PDA

View Full Version : Good news about Linux wifi

BoyOfDestiny
May 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3602901

"Devicescape's Wi-Fi driver stack is going open source under the General Public License (GPL). Called the Advanced Datapath Driver, it has been submitted for inclusion in the Linux 2.6 kernel. That could mean that in the very near future, instead of struggling to get drivers and cards to work together on a Linux computer, users may be able to plug in just about any card and get up and running. Developers could potentially stop porting drivers from Windows or writing new drivers from scratch."

P.S. Sorry if this was posted before.

mostwanted
May 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Lets hope developers start using this. One thing is that the tools for making wifi drivers easily are available, another thing is the mindset of (some) hardware producers. Some hardware producers simply don't see a market in Linux and stubbornly refuse to make drivers because of that perception.

mjm115
May 3rd, 2006, 05:26 PM
I read this. Hopefully by the time Edgy is released, this will be at the point that everything will work out of the box for wireless cards.

christhemonkey
May 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Great news (if it gets accepted) these forums have quite a few posts about wireless, which is understandable.

Although never had any first hand experience with wireless, i'll stick to my wires thankyou very much :D