PDA

View Full Version : I want to make a program

makuab
March 2nd, 2011, 04:20 AM
so I want to make a program in python that automates some tasks in a game that i play, where should i start? what would i need to know? how can i have the program read things from the game instead of color recognition and or just emulating mouse/key movements.

thanks.

GenBattle
March 2nd, 2011, 05:49 AM
So in other words you want to make a bot tool for the game so you can be lazy... :lolflag:

In order to read things from the game (variables, etc.) the game must provide you an api to do so. Otherwise you have to do image recognition or try and read the program's memory and get/set raw values.

Personally i don't support hacking games (it defeats the point and ruins the experience for all involved). But if you're doing this for a completely legitimate purpose then the game will probably have an API which will allow you to create legitimate addons (i.e. WoW allows you to right Lua extensions).

makuab
March 2nd, 2011, 06:01 AM
So in other words you want to make a bot tool for the game so you can be lazy... :lolflag:

In order to read things from the game (variables, etc.) the game must provide you an api to do so. Otherwise you have to do image recognition or try and read the program's memory and get/set raw values.

Personally i don't support hacking games (it defeats the point and ruins the experience for all involved). But if you're doing this for a completely legitimate purpose then the game will probably have an API which will allow you to create legitimate addons (i.e. WoW allows you to right Lua extensions).

eh i thought it was a decent project, just for fun. I honestly dont have any other ideas, and thats the only use i can think of.

GenBattle
March 2nd, 2011, 07:13 AM
Ok, fair enough. But if you're going to do that type of project, look for a game that has an API for mods/addons/external tools and use that. That will be the quickest and easiest way to get programming :)

foxmuldr
March 2nd, 2011, 09:08 AM
so I want to make a program in python that automates some tasks in a game that i play ... how can i have the program read things from the game instead of color recognition and or just emulating mouse/key movements.

A guy I used to work with did this with one of Microsoft's online game programs in the early 2000s. He wrote some code to continuously play whatever game(s) they had available, and did so for the purposes of racking up points in their online scoring system. He ended up getting a free console or two, some free games along with other products like coffee mugs and what have you for his effort.

- Rick C. Hodgin

makuab
March 3rd, 2011, 04:35 AM
I dont understand, he was rewarded for cheating?

lol

How can I do this?

LoneWolfJack
March 3rd, 2011, 05:51 AM
there's also the possibility that you will get sued over building cheats for a game.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Hack-RTS-PC-Game-StarCraft-lawsuit,11486.html

quite frankly, if you're a cheat you deserve to be sued until you'll never recover economically.

ve4cib
March 3rd, 2011, 06:40 AM
there's also the possibility that you will get sued over building cheats for a game.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Hack-RTS-PC-Game-StarCraft-lawsuit,11486.html

quite frankly, if you're a cheat you deserve to be sued until you'll never recover economically.

Really? Isn't that a little bit of overkill for what is just a game?

LoneWolfJack
March 3rd, 2011, 07:21 PM
I don't think so. society shouldn't tolerate cheats anywhere, be that in law, business, social life or even games.

foxmuldr
March 3rd, 2011, 09:58 PM
I dont understand, he was rewarded for cheating?

lol

How can I do this?

It was a different time 10 years ago. He was a young developer looking for the" can I do it?" factor. And I never said I agreed with him doing it. But to the OP, to indicate it CAN be done. :-)

- Rick C. Hodgin