PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean install of Ubuntu on macbook pro.

ChristofferN
March 2nd, 2011, 03:48 AM
Hey everyone, this is my first post in this forum. I have a bit of trouble installing Ubuntu (version 10.10) on my macbook pro.

First of all my dvd-drive is busted like there`s no tomorrow (I plug in a cd/dvd and 2 minutes later the cd/dvd is completely ruined). So I have no other options than to install it using an USB drive.

Now there is a lot of tutorials online how to install Ubuntu on macbook only problem is that I wanna install it clean on my macbook, meaning I want only Ubuntu as my operating system. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be very thankful.

My computer specs are:
Macbook pro (version 1.1)
1.83 ghz intel x86 processor
Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Cheers
/ Chris

ChristofferN
March 2nd, 2011, 04:22 AM
I have one approach where I install VirtualBox and install Ubuntu on it and then from there wipe the os x partition, is that possible or just plain stupid :p?

yourwhiteshadow
March 2nd, 2011, 09:38 AM
I have one approach where I install VirtualBox and install Ubuntu on it and then from there wipe the os x partition, is that possible or just plain stupid :p?

bad idea...won't go into the details. you can net boot an image on a mac (boot over network) and use that. however, i think you specifically need the os x partition to run other OS (not sure about this, but fairly certain).