PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need Help for a partition backup program

shahverdy
March 1st, 2011, 09:54 PM
there was a program named "Norton Ghost", I used it to back up my NTFS partitions that contained windows xp, but it seems that it doesn't support ext3 and ext4 types. is there any other solutions like Norton Ghost to make me able to backup my linux partitions?

tea for one
March 1st, 2011, 09:59 PM
Good evening

Remastersys for your OS

Grsync for your data

Both available via the Software Centre

Best wishes

shahverdy
March 1st, 2011, 10:06 PM
Good evening

Remastersys for your OS

Grsync for your data

Both available via the Software Centre

Best wishes
there is a problem with both of them, you need to have a linux installed first, I want something that makes me able to recover my backup, without wasting my time installing a linux ...

Hakunka-Matata
March 1st, 2011, 10:09 PM
Seņor, you are on a Linux forum?

shahverdy
March 1st, 2011, 10:16 PM
just I want to make it easy. each time I have to reinstall my linux and it is really tiring :(

tea for one
March 1st, 2011, 10:29 PM
just I want to make it easy. each time I have to reinstall my linux and it is really tiring :(

You have Linux partitions but you do not have a Linux OS installed?

I apologise if I offered misleading information but I do not exactly understand your OS system?

Can you elaborate a little?

shahverdy
March 1st, 2011, 10:47 PM
You have Linux partitions but you do not have a Linux OS installed?

I apologise if I offered misleading information but I do not exactly understand your OS system?

Can you elaborate a little?
of course I have linux installed, but the problem is that periodly I make it run off ( like my windows! ) so at that time there is no working linux!

tea for one
March 1st, 2011, 11:00 PM
of course I have linux installed, but the problem is that periodly I make it run off ( like my windows! ) so at that time there is no working linux!

Hello again

Thanks for the reply but I must admit that I am a bit perplexed.

I do not understand the meaning of:-

"I make it run off ( like my windows! ) so at that time there is no working linux!"

Therefore, I very much doubt if I can offer further assistance.

Quackers
March 1st, 2011, 11:16 PM
Clonezilla has been very useful and reliable for me :-)

shahverdy
March 1st, 2011, 11:21 PM
Hello again

Thanks for the reply but I must admit that I am a bit perplexed.

I do not understand the meaning of:-

"I make it run off ( like my windows! ) so at that time there is no working linux!"

Therefore, I very much doubt if I can offer further assistance.
I mean from time to time, my linix will get destroyed, and I need to restore my backup. when my linux is destroyed there are ext4 partitions, but there is no linux! so I cant use the package you introduced me ( unless I install a new linux )

shahverdy
March 1st, 2011, 11:24 PM
Clonezilla has been very useful and reliable for me :-)
I am going to try it, It seems that it is the thing that I want ...

Quackers
March 1st, 2011, 11:28 PM
It's free and it's good :-)
It's text based so takes a bit of getting used to. Just take your time and double-check everything the first couple of times you use it.

shahverdy
March 1st, 2011, 11:38 PM
It's free and it's good :-)
It's text based so takes a bit of getting used to. Just take your time and double-check everything the first couple of times you use it.
With my link speed, It will get downloaded tomarow :(

Quackers
March 1st, 2011, 11:48 PM
The file is just short of 130MB I think. Not too bad, but as you say, that depends on the D/L speed.