PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu to kubuntu

No.
March 1st, 2011, 08:00 PM
Hello all, i've been using ubuntu for about a month and last night i downloaded the kubuntu destktop package because KDE isn't in the software catalog, i uninstalled all of the gnome files and what not. What i'm wondering is :

#1. Is there any advantages to doing a clean install of kubuntu (KDE) with out ever having ubuntu? As opposed to downloading and switching via ubuntu gnome destktop.
#2. Can you even do that?

Regardless of how stupid this question may sound and the harshness of your replies i would like to say thank's in advance!

PS. I've been having strange graphic problems latly since i've switched over, small lines through browser buttons, some button text completly misplaced and appears a little glitchy, overlapping sentences on some menus. I saw a post somewhere about this a while ago when i wasn't having the issue, now when i need to read it i cant seem to find it anywhere.

Frogs Hair
March 1st, 2011, 09:05 PM
You can download kubuntu if that is what you would like to use . Having two desktop environments makes your installation more bloated because you need the dependencies to run the applications for both environments.

Switching between environments is possible at login with out any need to delete the components of either environment , you can choose the from panel below the greeter box at login.

To move directly from Gnome to Kubuntu from the desktop would require a virtual installation , but have never attempted that.

The kubuntu-desktop can be installed via the synaptic package manager.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

SeijiSensei
March 1st, 2011, 09:16 PM
I strongly recommend backing up your data and installing from the Kubuntu DVD. Another option is to use gparted to shrink your Ubuntu partition and install Kubuntu into the free space. You'll end up with both distributions that way; choosing between them takes place in the grub boot screen.

I definitely recommend against installing kubuntu-desktop on top of Ubuntu as the method. While it's certainly possible to do so and not make a mess of things, there's some chance of the latter as well. Better to start with a clean slate so you won't be wondering whether some problem you encounter is because of the mixed GNOME/KDE environment.

If you decide to take the dual-boot approach, and you're comfortable with repartitioning disks, I'd recommend creating another partition and making it the /home directory for both the Ubuntu and Kubuntu installations. Then you'd have access to your personal files from either image, and you can blow away one or the other of them and not lose anything you need.

You might find a few things "missing" when you're done like Firefox and Thunderbird. My first step after installing Kubuntu is to run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install firefox thunderbird smplayer gimp

No.
March 1st, 2011, 09:46 PM
also is this a reliable method of removing gnome?
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

"sudo apt-get remove adium-theme-ubuntu aisleriot alacarte app-install-data-partner apport-gtk apt-xapian-index aptdaemon at-spi baobab binfmt-support binutils bluez-gstreamer bogofilter bogofilter-bdb bogofilter-common branding-ubuntu brasero brasero-cdrkit brasero-common brltty-x11 capplets-data checkbox checkbox-gtk cli-common compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-plugins compizconfig-backend-gconf computer-janitor computer-janitor-gtk couchdb-bin desktop-file-utils desktopcouch dmz-cursor-theme doc-base empathy empathy-common eog erlang-base erlang-crypto erlang-inets erlang-mnesia erlang-public-key erlang-runtime-tools erlang-ssl erlang-syntax-tools erlang-xmerl espeak espeak-data evince evince-common evolution evolution-common evolution-couchdb evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common evolution-exchange evolution-indicator evolution-plugins evolution-webcal example-content file-roller firefox firefox-branding firefox-gnome-support gamin gbrainy gcalctool gcc gcc-4.4 gconf-defaults-service gconf-editor gconf2 gconf2-common gdm gdm-guest-session gedit gedit-common gksu gnome-about gnome-accessibility-themes gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-bluetooth gnome-codec-install gnome-control-center gnome-desktop-data gnome-dictionary gnome-disk-utility gnome-doc-utils gnome-games-common gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring gnome-mag gnome-mahjongg gnome-media gnome-media-common gnome-menus gnome-mime-data gnome-nettool gnome-orca gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-power-manager gnome-screensaver gnome-screenshot gnome-search-tool gnome-session gnome-session-bin gnome-session-canberra gnome-session-common gnome-settings-daemon gnome-sudoku gnome-system-log gnome-system-monitor gnome-system-tools gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data gnome-themes-selected gnome-themes-ubuntu gnome-user-guide gnome-utils gnome-utils-common gnomine gstreamer0.10-alsa gstreamer0.10-gnonlin gstreamer0.10-nice gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-tools gstreamer0.10-x gtk2-engines gtk2-engines-murrine gtk2-engines-pixbuf gucharmap guile-1.8-libs gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-fuse gwibber gwibber-service humanity-icon-theme hwdata ibus ibus-gtk ibus-pinyin ibus-pinyin-db-android ibus-pinyin-db-open-phrase ibus-table indicator-applet indicator-applet-session indicator-application indicator-me indicator-messages indicator-session indicator-sound jockey-gtk language-selector launchpad-integration libappindicator0.1-cil libappindicator1 libart-2.0-2 libart2.0-cil libatspi1.0-0 libavahi-glib1 libavahi-gobject0 libavahi-ui0 libavc1394-0 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libbrasero-media1 libburn4 libc-dev-bin libc6-dev libcairo-perl libcairomm-1.0-1 libcamel1.2-14 libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk0 libcanberra-pulse libcanberra0 libcdio-cdda0 libcdio-paranoia0 libcdio10 libclutter-1.0-0 libclutter-gtk-0.10-0 libcompizconfig0 libcouchdb-glib-1.0-2 libcroco3 libcryptui0 libcurl3 libdbusmenu-gtk1 libdconf0 libdecoration0 libdesktopcouch-glib-1.0-2 libdmapsharing2 libdotconf1.0 libdv4 libebackend1.2-0 libebook1.2-9 libecal1.2-7 libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-7 libedataserver1.2-13 libedataserverui1.2-8 libegroupwise1.2-13 libept1 libespeak1 libevdocument3 libevent-1.4-2 libevolution libevview3 libexempi3 libfolks-telepathy0 libfolks0 libfreezethaw-perl libgail-common libgail-gnome-module libgail18 libgamin0 libgconf2-4 libgconf2.0-cil libgcr0 libgd2-xpm libgdata-common libgdata-google1.2-1 libgdata1.2-1 libgdata7 libgdict-1.0-6 libgdu-gtk0 libgdu0 libgee2 libgexiv2-0 libgksu2-0 libglade2-0 libglade2.0-cil libgladeui-1-9 libglib-perl libglib2.0-cil libglib2.0-data libglibmm-2.4-1c2a libgmime-2.4-2 libgmime2.4-cil libgnome-bluetooth8 libgnome-desktop-2-17 libgnome-keyring0 libgnome-mag2 libgnome-media0 libgnome-menu2 libgnome-vfs2.0-cil libgnome-window-settings1 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-canvas-perl libgnome2-common libgnome2-perl libgnome2-vfs-perl libgnome2.24-cil libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomekbd-common libgnomekbd4 libgnomepanel2.24-cil libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common libgnomevfs2-extra libgoocanvas-common libgoocanvas3 libgp11-0 libgsl0ldbl libgssdp-1.0-2 libgstfarsight0.10-0 libgtk-vnc-1.0-0 libgtk2-perl libgtk2.0-cil libgtkhtml-editor-common libgtkhtml-editor0 libgtkhtml3.14-19 libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a libgtksourceview2.0-0 libgtksourceview2.0-common libgtkspell0 libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common libgucharmap7 libgupnp-1.0-3 libgupnp-igd-1.0-3 libgvfscommon0 libgweather-common libgweather1 libgwibber0 libibus2 libidl0 libido-0.1-0 libiec61883-0 libindicate-gtk2 libindicator1 libisofs6 libjson-glib-1.0-0 libkpathsea5 liblaunchpad-integration1 liblaunchpad-integration1.0-cil liblircclient0 liblouis-data liblouis2 liblua5.1-0 libmetacity-private0 libmission-control-plugins0 libmldbm-perl libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil libmono-addins0.2-cil libmono-cairo2.0-cil libmono-corlib2.0-cil libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil libmono-management2.0-cil libmono-posix2.0-cil libmono-security2.0-cil libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil libmono-system2.0-cil libnautilus-extension1 libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil libndesk-dbus1.0-cil libnet-dbus-perl libnice0 libnotify1 liboobs-1-5 libopencc1 liborbit2 liborc-0.4-0 libpam-gnome-keyring libpanel-applet2-0 libpango-perl libpangomm-1.4-1 libpolkit-gtk-1-0 libpoppler-glib5 libportaudio2 libprotobuf6 libprotoc6 libproxy0 libpurple-bin libpurple0 librarian0 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common libsctp1 libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio libshout3 libsigc++-2.0-0c2a libsilc-1.1-2 libsilcclient-1.1-3 libsoup-gnome2.4-1 libsoup2.4-1 libspeechd2 libstartup-notification0 libsyncdaemon-1.0-1 libt1-5 libtelepathy-farsight0 libtelepathy-glib0 libtelepathy-logger1 libtie-ixhash-perl libtotem-plparser17 libubuntuone-1.0-1 libunique-1.0-0 libupower-glib1 libuuid-perl libvala-0.10-0 libvisual-0.4-0 libvisual-0.4-plugins libvte-common libvte9 libwebkit-1.0-2 libwebkit-1.0-common libwmf0.2-7 libwmf0.2-7-gtk libwnck-common libwnck22 libxcb-event1 libxklavier16 libxml-twig-perl libxml-xpath-perl libxres1 libzephyr4 light-themes linux-headers-2.6.35-22 linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic linux-headers-generic linux-libc-dev lksctp-tools lzma manpages-dev media-player-info metacity metacity-common mobile-broadband-provider-info mono-2.0-gac mono-csharp-shell mono-gac mono-gmcs mono-runtime mousetweaks nautilus nautilus-data nautilus-sendto nautilus-sendto-empathy nautilus-share network-manager-gnome network-manager-pptp-gnome notify-osd notify-osd-icons onboard openoffice.org-gnome openoffice.org-gtk openoffice.org-help-en-us openoffice.org-style-human pinyin-database pitivi pkg-config plymouth-theme-ubuntu-logo policykit-1-gnome protobuf-compiler pulseaudio-module-gconf python-appindicator python-aptdaemon python-aptdaemon-gtk python-argparse python-avahi python-brlapi python-configglue python-couchdb python-crypto python-desktopcouch-records python-egenix-mxdatetime python-egenix-mxtools python-farsight python-gconf python-glade2 python-gmenu python-gnome2 python-gnomeapplet python-gnomecanvas python-gnomekeyring python-gst0.10 python-gtk2 python-gtksourceview2 python-gtkspell python-ibus python-indicate python-launchpad-integration python-libproxy python-libxml2 python-louis python-mako python-markupsafe python-notify python-openssl python-pam python-papyon python-protobuf python-pyatspi python-pycurl python-pygoocanvas python-pyinotify python-pyorbit python-rdflib python-serial python-speechd python-telepathy python-twisted-bin python-twisted-core python-twisted-names python-twisted-web python-ubuntuone python-ubuntuone-client python-ubuntuone-storageprotocol python-virtkey python-vte python-webkit python-wnck python-xapian quadrapassel rarian-compat rhythmbox rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder rhythmbox-plugins rhythmbox-ubuntuone-music-store screen-resolution-extra screensaver-default-images scrollkeeper seahorse sessioninstaller shotwell simple-scan software-center software-properties-gtk speech-dispatcher ssh-askpass-gnome synaptic system-config-printer-gnome system-tools-backends telepathy-butterfly telepathy-gabble telepathy-haze telepathy-idle telepathy-logger telepathy-mission-control-5 telepathy-salut tomboy totem totem-common totem-mozilla totem-plugins transmission-common transmission-gtk tsclient ubufox ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs ubuntu-mono ubuntu-sounds ubuntu-sso-client ubuntu-system-service ubuntu-wallpapers ubuntuone-client ubuntuone-client-gnome update-manager update-notifier upower usb-creator-gtk vinagre vino whois xdg-user-dirs-gtk xscreensaver-data xscreensaver-gl xsltproc xul-ext-ubufox xulrunner-1.9.2 yelp zenity && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop"

Or are there new thing's i need to add in 10.10

and many thanks.

No.
March 2nd, 2011, 08:22 PM
thank you all for your input, i decided to download the live cd and start fresh as the above sudo command works but leaves little tidbits here and there.