PDA

View Full Version : New to liking Linux (a true story)

tommywright
March 1st, 2011, 07:47 PM
I work in the vfx industry and started using Linux on my first film back in 2004. I despised Linux at the time. Looking back, I'm not even sure why but I openly bitched about it on a daily basis. Eventually I gave in and learned it because all the major fx and animation houses are exclusively Linux and I've had to work for almost all of them now.

A couple of years ago, I got this gig at a game company that used Windows again and thought... cool, I get to use Windows. Holy crap was that a nightmare. We ended up doing almost everything in Cygwin (which is basically Linux inside Windows).

During that time, my wife got this little netbook computer from Dell. It had Ubuntu pre-installed. I had never seen Ubuntu before and as i got to playing with it, I thought wow, what a fun little Linux distro. The more I played with it and the more I struggled with Windows at work, the more I started to realize that Linux (Ubuntu in particular) was really great!

It only took 7 years to figure it out but now I have almost completely converted to Ubuntu at home. Even my game computer (after Win7 crapped out on it twice) is now running Ubuntu and I'm still playing BF2 with my buddies thanks to Wine. I'm sure I'll dual boot it eventually being that I payed big bucks for my Win7 license but I'm in no hurry.

One of the big things keeping me on Windows was Mudbox on my Cintiq (I enjoy sculpting for fun). I was walking by someones desk here at Imageworks the other day and saw them running Mudbox, with their Cintiq, in Linux. :o I'll have to ask around as to how to get that at home but it's obviously possible.

I don't know why I'm writing all this other than it recently dawned on me that I'm a Linux fan. I mean, I don't own any stuffed penguins or anything.. but I'm a real fan! The applications that I use most (Maya and Nuke) run much better under Linux and it's just easier to manage frames using bash scripts.

Anyhow.. that's my story.

TeoBigusGeekus
March 1st, 2011, 07:54 PM
Your story is a proof that linux not only can do serious and professional work, but it's also the best system to do so.

If you have any access to autodesk people (as a maya user), tell'em to do something about autocad...

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
March 1st, 2011, 07:56 PM
I mean, I don't own any stuffed penguins or anything..

Didn't you get the memo? We switched to neckbeards and bathrobes. Stuffed penguins are so 2008.

rg4w
March 1st, 2011, 08:08 PM
I don't know why I'm writing all this other than it recently dawned on me that I'm a Linux fan.
That's how I started posting here too. :)

Great story - glad you posted that.

Welcome aboard. You've definitely found the right place to be: the community in these forums has been tremendously helpful to me, and if you run into any snags or just want to find a cool app, you'll get everything you need and more here.

Shining Arcanine
March 1st, 2011, 08:13 PM
Even my game computer (after Win7 crapped out on it twice) is now running Ubuntu and I'm still playing BF2 with my buddies thanks to Wine.

I thought Battlefield 2 players could not play multiplayer games in WINE because of Punkbuster. Has you experienced any Punkbuster kicks?

johntaylor1887
March 1st, 2011, 08:36 PM
I don't own any stuffed penguins

I have one! Anyway, good to hear you're enjoying it.

tommywright
March 1st, 2011, 09:01 PM
I thought Battlefield 2 players could not play multiplayer games in WINE because of Punkbuster. Has you experienced any Punkbuster kicks?

Punkbuster will crash every so often but usually only while switching maps. I can play for quite some time before that happens though... sometimes 2 or 3 games.

I added the most recent punkbuster files for BF2 under the appropriate folders (I just grabbed them all and put them in there). You can find those files here...
http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=dl-bf2.php

Also, manually turning on AA (nvidia driver) will get rid of a lot of render artifacts.

tommywright
March 1st, 2011, 09:06 PM
Your story is a proof that linux not only can do serious and professional work, but it's also the best system to do so.

If you have any access to autodesk people (as a maya user), tell'em to do something about autocad...

Imageworks has on staff Autodesk people but I think they only work on tools Sony uses (so Mudbox and Maya). I'm just super excited that Mudbox is on Linux now. I'm going to go strong arm them help me get it up and running on Ubuntu at home.

They have said that they (Imageworks) will be releasing their software "Katana" for the public pretty soon. It will for sure be Linux if not Linux exclusively. So another amazing 3d app for Linux. :D