PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Creating web pages

Spangle1187
March 1st, 2011, 05:24 PM
I am new to Ubuntu and want to have a go at some web development tools.

Can you recommend any?

They will need to be open licence to start with as I am going to India to set up a computer room in a school and I plan to use Ubuntu as the OS and the school cannot afford to pay for software.

Thanks in advance:D

donkyhotay
March 1st, 2011, 05:27 PM
I don't do much web development, I used to use avaya which was pretty simple. Then I switched to something else for awhile but I dont' remember if it was bluefish or quanta (I think it was quanta). Now I use kompozer which does what I need. Might help to know if you need a WYSIWYG or not, otherwise you could just use gedit! (which is what I use for coding python).

Spangle1187
March 1st, 2011, 05:51 PM
When I get to the stage of teaching them some basic HTML tags it would be handy for a split view, design & code.

Personally I like something like Crimson Editor or note pad++ as long as it changes colour for different parts of the code otherwise I will spend the rest of my life looking for typos lol!

indytim
March 1st, 2011, 06:11 PM
Forget the glitz and learn the code. My recommendation is to use GEdit. It has some light syntax color coding that helps.

IndyTim / DataMan

stoogiebuncho
March 1st, 2011, 07:59 PM
If you use gedit be sure to check out the plugins. There's lots of awesome functionality you can add there.

themusicalduck
March 1st, 2011, 08:49 PM
I like Bluefish because it has code auto-completion and a tree view for all the site files.

Spangle1187
March 1st, 2011, 10:41 PM
I will have a look at both Gedit and Bluefish.

I prefer to straight code web pages rather than building in design view but have recently been introduced to DW and it is nice to code and watch it being built in the same app. As for Bluefish it would be nice to see a file structure.

Going off track a little here is their a Ubuntu version of Flash or would it just be better to design in Flash and then just migrate files across?

I have to say that I like what I have read so far on Ubuntu!

Animal X
March 1st, 2011, 10:45 PM
and you mention the side by side thing, use gedit, and you can drag the file your working on right over to your browser to see what it looks like...

Spangle1187
March 1st, 2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah there is always more than one way to skin a cat

Gerontion
March 2nd, 2011, 12:02 AM
Going off track a little here is their a Ubuntu version of Flash or would it just be better to design in Flash and then just migrate files across?

Flash CS5 runs under wine - you can see installation details at http://int3ractive.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-run-flash-cs5-on-ubuntu-with.html

Alternatively, you can add Actionscript support to Eclipse and compile as/mxml files through that. Details at http://www.brighthub.com/hubfolio/matthew-casperson/articles/78818.aspx

powertower
March 2nd, 2011, 12:08 AM
I can't live without my notepad++ software. I use wine and it runs perfect. Its native to windbloz.