PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Auto Shutdown for child user accounts

mx32
March 1st, 2011, 07:10 AM
How can I schedule a recurrent task to shutdown the computer for a user without administrative privileges? (Some times my child leaves the computer on)

I have tried gnome-schedule with the command:
/sbin/shutdown -h now

It works fine for root user, but does not work under a no administrative user.
I have also tried running gnome-schedule with the command:
gkus gnome-schedule
this way, it is suppose to allow me to add tasks to other users, but it only allows not recurrent tasks.

Running "gkus gnome-schedule" from my child account does not work either

So, what's the advice? I have Ubuntu 10.04

Thanks

aeiah
March 1st, 2011, 09:59 AM
gnome-schedule is a graphical front end for crontab, which in its self is fairly easy to use.

normally you'd use root's crontab to issue the shutdown command, as you talk about. does this not work? or are you looking for a way to shutdown if he's logged on but not if you're logged on?

wizard10000
March 1st, 2011, 12:17 PM
Personal preference, but I prefer not to put systemwide tasks in anyone's crontab, not even root's - I prefer to edit /etc/crontab instead.

There are at least two ways to do this. You can do it in /etc/crontab or you can do it in /etc/rc.local - whichever you prefer. Either will have to be edited as root.

Let's say you wanted to power down the machine at 10pm every night. To do it in /etc/crontab you'd do it like this -

* 22 * * * root shutdown -P now

If you wanted to shut the machine down at different times (say the kids have a later curfew on the weekend) /etc/crontab would be the way to do it.

In /etc/rc.local (which would be my preferred method since it's easy to cancel) you'd do it like this -

shutdown -P 22:00

If you wanted to you could cancel a scheduled shutdown called from rc.local with

sudo shutdown -c

but this wouldn't work with an immediate shutdown scheduled as a cron job.

You could also do the scheduled shutdown with "at" but that wouldn't be much fun at all and would be a little more difficult to cancel.

Hope this helps -

mx32
March 3rd, 2011, 05:49 AM
gnome-schedule is a graphical front end for crontab, which in its self is fairly easy to use.

normally you'd use root's crontab to issue the shutdown command, as you talk about. does this not work? or are you looking for a way to shutdown if he's logged on but not if you're logged on?

Yes, I am looking for a way to shutdown when he is logged.

mx32
March 3rd, 2011, 05:57 AM
@wizard10000
This appear to be what I'm looking for. Thanks. I will try it tomorrow. :)

mx32
March 4th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I did try crontab with the code:

* 22 * * * root shutdown -P now

Worked perfectly. Now the computer will shutdown even if my kids forget to turn it off.
Thanks

wizard10000
March 4th, 2011, 08:18 AM
You're more than welcome. Glad to be of service :)