PDA

View Full Version : Lifehacker starts column series about Linux

linuxforartists
March 1st, 2011, 04:03 AM
Getting started with Linux: why install Linux? (http://lifehacker.com/#%215772574/getting-started-with-linux-why-install-linux)

One thing I thought could be improved was to recommend some distros, like Ubuntu and Linux Mint. The variety of distros out there can be intimidating for newbies. Maybe they'll do that in a future article.

TriBlox6432
March 1st, 2011, 05:51 AM
A good idea would be to do a short breakdown of the popular distros (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Slackware, openSUSE, Mandriva, etc.) and which ones are best for which userbase.

I bet either Ubuntu or Mint would be best for newbies.

ikt
March 1st, 2011, 06:58 AM
lifehacker = gawker = baddies.

ticopelp
March 1st, 2011, 03:38 PM
lifehacker = gawker = baddies.

:confused:

aeiah
March 1st, 2011, 04:01 PM
:confused:

they're a hipster media empire that slagged off 4chan / anonymous and got their entire server owned by a group called gnosis in retaliation. the dump is on the pirate bay.

maybe that's what ikt is referring to. that or he doesn't like hipster media empires in general

Giant Speck
March 1st, 2011, 06:43 PM
Hipsters use the Internet? Seems a tad bit mainstream, don't you think?

earthpigg
March 2nd, 2011, 12:09 AM
What's up with all the Google/Gmail love at the main page of that website?

It took me a few seconds to fully process the URL not having "google" or "gmail" anywhere in it, and all the google/gmail stuff that was on the page... i kept double checking to verify there wasn't ".../gmailblog" or ".../googleproducts" or similar up there.

Giant Speck
March 3rd, 2011, 06:33 AM
Because when Lifehacker/Gizmodo gets hooked on a topic, they spew out several articles at a time about it. They do the same thing with Android, iPhones, tablet PCs, etc.

linuxforartists
March 4th, 2011, 12:50 PM
A new installment is up:

Getting started with Linux: fine-tuning your hardware (http://lifehacker.com/#%215775914/getting-started-with-linux-fine+tuning-your-hardware-compatibility)

This would have been really helpful to have when I was starting out. I had lots of problems in the beginning, because I didn't know what things I still had to install after first booting Ubuntu.

aeiah
March 4th, 2011, 01:09 PM
What's up with all the Google/Gmail love at the main page of that website?

It took me a few seconds to fully process the URL not having "google" or "gmail" anywhere in it, and all the google/gmail stuff that was on the page... i kept double checking to verify there wasn't ".../gmailblog" or ".../googleproducts" or similar up there.

gawker use google as their hosts and gmail for the backend of their internal email services. or at least that's what the giant gnosis hack readme said

maybe they get a discount if they write about it a lot or maybe they just had a really good experience with it

NCLI
March 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Getting started with Linux: why install Linux? (http://lifehacker.com/#%215772574/getting-started-with-linux-why-install-linux)

One thing I thought could be improved was to recommend some distros, like Ubuntu and Linux Mint. The variety of distros out there can be intimidating for newbies. Maybe they'll do that in a future article.

A good idea would be to do a short breakdown of the popular distros (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Slackware, openSUSE, Mandriva, etc.) and which ones are best for which userbase.

I bet either Ubuntu or Mint would be best for newbies.
*cough*

And stay tuned: Tomorrow night we'll be looking at how to choose a Linux distribution that works for you.