PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: NZB, PAR and UNRAR all-in-one

Pages : [1] 2

danalog
May 3rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
New: a version of this howto for OSX (http://www.macbookfan.eu/2006/07/11/howto-nzb-par-and-unrar-all-in-one-for-osx/)

This is my first howto, and it is a small one :)

I was looking for a way to process downloaded NZB files the most easiest way possible. That means downloading the NZB files to one directory, and let some program automatically download the binary posting, decode the files, check them with par2, repair if needed and then unrar the files and place the processed file in another directory.

What needs to be done:

Open a terminal
Install needed files:
sudo apt-get install python-dev python-twisted unrar par2
Download hellanzb to your userdir:
http://www.hellanzb.com/distfiles/hellanzb-0.9.tar.gz

Unpack:
sudo tar -xzvf hellanzb-0.9.tar.gz
Cd to directory:
cd hellanzb-0.9
Run install script:
python setup.py install
Copy config file:
sudo cp /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf.sample /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf
Configure settings:
sudo gedit /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf.sample
Look for: defineServer and change the account settings to your usenet account settings.
Change the PREFIX dir to:
/home/your-user-name
You can change the other directories to your preference but it is not needed. There are also a lot of other options in the config file, change if needed.

Run the program:
hellanzb.py
Download a NZB file and place it in:
/home/your-user-dir/nzb/daemon.queue/ or whatever directory you choose in the config file.
Finished files will be in:
/home/your-user-dir/usenet/ or whatever directory you choose in the config file.

Par2 files will only be downloaded from the server if needed for repair. This will save bandwidth :)

Happy NZB hunting :)

libbylib
May 7th, 2006, 12:42 PM
sudo apt-get python-dev python-twisted unrar par2

should be

rotten777
May 13th, 2006, 08:00 PM

Awesome. A HUGE reason I couldn't just drop the Win32 platform has now been fixed. Thanks m8 :)

stivakos
May 20th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Thanx. It is so useful I couldn't imagine. But I have two questions
1. If I stop the execution of the file, do I have to reload the nzb. from the start?
2. Can I edit the configuration file while it is running?

danalog
May 20th, 2006, 11:15 PM
sudo apt-get python-dev python-twisted unrar par2

should be

fixed

danalog
May 20th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Thanx. It is so useful I couldn't imagine. But I have two questions
1. If I stop the execution of the file, do I have to reload the nzb. from the start?
2. Can I edit the configuration file while it is running?
1. Nzb's automatically resume when script is restarted.
2. I think you can edit but you probably should restart script to reload configuration. Share your results plz.

danalog
May 20th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Awesome. A HUGE reason I couldn't just drop the Win32 platform has now been fixed. Thanks m8 :)
No prob just wanted my rig do the work for me, thought I'd share it with you all :)

offtopic: But I am a syshopper.... I tend hop from xp to linux to osx and back. At the moment I am trying to sell my system to get the funds for a new macbook with core duo so I can run osx the right way and run ubuntu and XP in Parallels. This way I get the best of three worlds in one kickass notebook. Especcially when Xen is ready begin 2007. Pure virtualisation... running xp/osx/ubuntu next to eachother at the same time!!! Awesome!!!

stivakos
May 20th, 2006, 11:47 PM
2. I think you can edit but you probably should restart script to reload configuration. Share your results plz.

Yes, I have to restart script to reload configuration. Thanx again.

dmorel
June 3rd, 2006, 05:06 AM
very excellent and simple method, much appreciated tutorial.

(in step 5, remove the cd .tar.gz from the directory you are changing to)

FerGeCo
June 5th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I love hellanzb .. saves me alot of time to with parring and unrarring .. it's doing it all while i'm sleeping :D

Thanxz alot for the tutorial and for getting me to know about hellanzb (:

pubwho
June 5th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Thatnks, this is brilliant.

However, does anyone know how I can set it up so that hellanzb.py loads up automatically at start up without a terminal window?

bugsbunny2002
June 7th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I created a little script that I put in /etc/init.d/hellanzb that uses the amazing screen.

#! /bin/bash
#
# hellanzb Start the hellanzb.
#

NAME=hellanzb

trap "" 1
export LANG=C

case "$1" in
start)
echo -ne "Starting $NAME"
/usr/bin/screen -S $NAME -d -m /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/hellanzb.py > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
echo "."
;;

stop)
killall hellanzb.py
echo "."
;;

reload)
echo "."
;;

reload-modules)
echo "."
;;

restart)
# $0 reload-modules
$0 stop
$0 start
;;

force-reload)
$0 reload-modules
;;

*)
echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/$NAME start|stop|reload|reload-modules|force-reload|restart}"
exit 1
;;
esac

exit 0

Then start it in runlevel 2-5.

ln -s /etc/init.d/hellanzb /etc/rc2.d/S20hellanzb
ln -s /etc/init.d/hellanzb /etc/rc3.d/S20hellanzb
ln -s /etc/init.d/hellanzb /etc/rc4.d/S20hellanzb
ln -s /etc/init.d/hellanzb /etc/rc5.d/S20hellanzb

So after Ubuntu start, go to this screen with

screen -R hellanzb
leave it with

ctrl-a d

pubwho
June 8th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I type:

screen -R hellanzb

but all I get is a command prompt. Is it supposed to show the current progress when I do this?

rbgCODE
June 8th, 2006, 09:14 PM
This is just awesome!! Thanks man

medw1974
June 9th, 2006, 12:18 AM
It's probably pretty obvious to most, but I got caught out blindly copying and pasting ](*,) lol

Step 8 should be:

sudo gedit /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf

not

sudo gedit /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf.sample

Anyway thanks for a great howto, just what I was looking for.

rbgCODE
June 9th, 2006, 07:46 PM
n/m I found someone local to come over.

JediPottsy
June 9th, 2006, 09:08 PM
thanks

binks
June 9th, 2006, 11:13 PM
code 8 part 2 should read

Code:

/home/your-user-name/

not

Code:

/home/your-user-name

this is v good im well impressed

TomH
June 9th, 2006, 11:27 PM
python setup.py install

just though id add that runnin the above command gave errors, so i had to run it as:

sudo python setup.py install

:cool:

TomH
June 9th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Also that screen doesnt work for me ? Just says new screen then ends? Back to the screen prompt

E-Jey
June 12th, 2006, 10:49 PM
You have to install screen with "apt-get install screen" and don't forget to make it a executable with "chmod +x /etc/init.d/hellanzb"

TomH
June 12th, 2006, 11:58 PM
You have to install screen with "apt-get install screen" and don't forget to make it a executable with "chmod +x /etc/init.d/hellanzb"

Yeah its definatly installed, and it is a executable, when i try to run it the windows says New Screen... then after 10 seconds just returns to the prompt. I have followed you guide step by step twice now :confused:

kditty
June 13th, 2006, 01:27 AM
when i try to run that first sudo command i get:

python-dev is already the newest version.
python-twisted is already the newest version.
Package unrar is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package unrar has no installation candidate

kditty
June 13th, 2006, 01:44 AM
ok i got it to work so far. thanks so much for this howto, usenet downloading html, graphics etc is the main reason i use windows still... plus the comfort zone of knowing whats going on, but this is definatly going to cause me to spend more time in linux. also its insane how much time this will save me if everything works out well.

im on dapper so im not sure if everything installed right but im praying it will. 20 minutes ago i was trying to find a program to do each of these things and you sum it up in one post. thanks a ton.

E-Jey
June 13th, 2006, 07:56 AM
when i try to run that first sudo command i get:

python-dev is already the newest version.
python-twisted is already the newest version.

You have to enable the multiverse repository.

danalog
June 15th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for the positive replies! It seems I made a few typo's and small errors in the howto. I will try to fix them soon.

At the moment I am trying to make Hellanzb work on my macbook (osx/intel), which is a little different and less documented. So, when I'm done with that, I'll post another howto for OSX (http://www.macbookfan.eu/2006/07/11/howto-nzb-par-and-unrar-all-in-one-for-osx/). Maybe on another forum or on one of my own websites, don't know yet. There will be a link from this howto for all of you multi-os'ing peeps ;)

Have fun with your favorite nzb's :)

edit: here is the nzb, par and unrar all-in-one howto for osx (http://www.macbookfan.eu/2006/07/11/howto-nzb-par-and-unrar-all-in-one-for-osx/)

hannesz112
June 15th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Hi

I've got the progam installed only if i try to start hellanzb with the following code:

hellanzb.py
Then i get the following error message

Exiting: FatalError: Cannot continue program, required executable 'rar' or 'unra r' not in path

I don't know what to help !! :-P

thnx

NobodySpecial
June 16th, 2006, 03:36 AM
hannesz112 -

In terminal:

sudo apt-get install rar
This works in Dapper.

hype
June 17th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Exellent script, just what a lazy guy like me needs :p

Btw i had to change setting in hellanzb.conf rather than hellannzb.conf.custom

hype
June 17th, 2006, 09:34 AM
wow, there are even some colored feedback mesasges going on in console !
Just works perfectly fine m8!! Love that script :p

kditty
June 19th, 2006, 02:55 PM
everything is working fine, but sometimes i get ahold of nzb files that have messed up data, and some of the rar files will be missing so the par2 verify fails. how do i run a par2 file to check the parity data myself after downloading the missing rars?

danalog
June 19th, 2006, 03:01 PM
everything is working fine, but sometimes i get ahold of nzb files that have messed up data, and some of the rar files will be missing so the par2 verify fails. how do i run a par2 file to check the parity data myself after downloading the missing rars?
This is a downside of Usenet. Some postings just aren't complete. Thats why there is parity, but if there is too much missing rar files then it cannot be helped.

If you have found the missing rars, place them in the hellanzb download dir and then place the nzb again, it will find the rar files and continu.

rbgCODE
June 19th, 2006, 03:02 PM

par2 --help would be a good place to start but basically -

par2 v parfile.par2 to check it
par2 r parfile.par2 to repair it

kditty
June 19th, 2006, 03:35 PM
par2 --help would be a good place to start but basically -

par2 v parfile.par2 to check it
par2 r parfile.par2 to repair it

ok that worked fine, once i figured out that its case sensitive lol. this whole time i was trying to check that parity and it wasnt working i thought something was messed up. i still have to get used to all this case sensitive stuff ;x thanks for the help guys.

Lil_Eagle
June 21st, 2006, 03:27 PM
This works great, but I have one stupid question. When hellanzb finishes downloading everything, it moves the files to the appropriate directory as specified in the conf file, but the owner of everything it downloads is root, which means I can't rename them (or move them) unless I open a shell.

Is there a way to tell hellanzb which permissions and owner to set on the files that it finishes with.

I assume it is setting the owner as root because it is a daemon, and it loading automatically at startup. Should load it another way?

rbgCODE
June 21st, 2006, 03:30 PM
This works great, but I have one stupid question. When hellanzb finishes downloading everything, it moves the files to the appropriate directory as specified in the conf file, but the owner of everything it downloads is root, which means I can't rename them (or move them) unless I open a shell.

Is there a way to tell hellanzb which permissions and owner to set on the files that it finishes with.

I assume it is setting the owner as root because it is a daemon, and it loading automatically at startup. Should load it another way?

dont start hellanzb.py with sudo and it will save everything under the users rights, and then you can do anything.

general alcazar
June 22nd, 2006, 07:03 AM
First, i would like to apologize for my poor english :-\"

I wish to use 2 differents servers but I do not manage to modify correctly /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf

Have you a sample ??

Thank you

wousser
June 27th, 2006, 11:09 PM
First, i would like to apologize for my poor english :-\"

I wish to use 2 differents servers but I do not manage to modify correctly /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf

Have you a sample ??

Thank you

# Set both the username and password to 'None' (without the quotes) if your
# usenet server does not require authorization
defineServer(id = 'eweka',
hosts = [ 'newsreader.eweka.nl:119' ],
#hosts = [ 'news.changeme.com', 'morenews.changeme.com:8000' ],

username = 'user',
password = 'pass',
#username = None, # no auth
#password = None,

connections = 1,
antiIdle = 4.5 * 60, # 4 minutes, 30 seconds
#bindTo = '204.31.33.7', # connect FROM this ip address
#enabled = False, # disable this server
#skipGroupCmd = False, # skip sending nntp GROUP commands
)
defineServer(id = 'xs4all',
hosts = [ 'newszilla.xs4all.nl:119' ],

username = None,
password = None,
#password = None,

connections = 3,
)

# Uncomment this line to limit all server connections to the specified KB/s

Jon Snow
June 28th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks alot for the Howto ...work first time for me ( luck )...what a great app :)

jasonparekh
June 29th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Wow, this program rocks!

Anyway, I've made a package for it.

It places files in:
- Source: /usr/share/hellanzb/
- Downloads/NZBs: /var/hellanzb/
- Config: /etc/hellanzb/
- Logs: /var/log/hellanzb/
- Initscript: /etc/init.d/hellanzb
- Binary symlink: /usr/bin/hellanzb.py
- Random docs: /usr/share/doc/hellanzb

It has an init script (based on the previously posted init script that uses screen) that will be launched on boot.

Unzip, sudo dpkg -i hella*deb, and place NZBs in /var/hellanzb/nzb/daemon.queue. Only downfall is that it runs as root.

This is my first package, so let me know if I did something incorrectly..

Enjoy!
Jason

Lil_Eagle
June 29th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Using that .deb seems a bit foolish to me. Why should it be running as root? That's the same problem that I was running into before. My regular account can't move the files from the download directory. I have to open a console (or run konqueror as root) to do it.

Why not just have it run after logging in? That way it can use the user id to create the files. It seems to me that there are enough deamons being started in init.d, why add another one?

I will say, you're on the right track though. It doesn make it a lot easier for people, but they still need to configure it with their server information.

Also note, that by creating a .deb for it, you're locking it to that specific architecture, which means for people running AMD64, or PPC, they have to install it with:
sudo -dpkg -i --force-architecure hella*.deb

Since it is only a script, it isn't dependant on the architecture of the OS, but dpkg doesn't know that. That's why the multi-arch distro needs to be built.

jasonparekh
June 29th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Using that .deb seems a bit foolish to me.
I'm not sure I would consider it foolish. It's much cleaner than using the setup script provided (files get thrown anywhere, it will be difficult to remove them, and also dependencies are taken care of--these are major benefits of package management).

Why should it be running as root? That's the same problem that I was running into before. My regular account can't move the files from the download directory. I have to open a console (or run konqueror as root) to do it.
I agree, it shouldn't be running as root. I think the proper thing to do is create a hellanzb user, chmod g+w the directories, and add your regular account into its group. I'll add this in later. I use the console more than konqueror (so sudo isn't an issue), so I didn't realize running as root would be that troublesome.

Why not just have it run after logging in? That way it can use the user id to create the files. It seems to me that there are enough deamons being started in init.d, why add another one?
Heh, I disagree with this completely. This program is meant to be a daemon, and hence its startup should be in init.d. Just because yuo have a thousand and one daemons runing already doesn't mean you should refrain from putting things that belong there elsewhere. Again, about 'the user id to create files', once I do the hellanzb group, you'll be fine.

I will say, you're on the right track though. It doesn make it a lot easier for people, but they still need to configure it with their server information.
Yeah, I completely forgot about the server info :) I guess this would be a good time for me to learn how to do configuration dialogs for packages.

Also note, that by creating a .deb for it, you're locking it to that specific architecture, which means for people running AMD64, or PPC, they have to install it with:
sudo -dpkg -i --force-architecure hella*.deb
Since it is only a script, it isn't dependant on the architecture of the OS, but dpkg doesn't know that. That's why the multi-arch distro needs to be built.
Interesting. Okay, so as long as I add that it's suitable for more architectures to the package control scripts, it should be okay right?

Thanks for the comments, I'll hopefully release another version soon..
Jason

Lil_Eagle
June 29th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure I would consider it foolish. It's much cleaner than using the setup script provided (files get thrown anywhere, it will be difficult to remove them, and also dependencies are taken care of--these are major benefits of package management).

Foolish was far too strong of an adjective. Perhaps unwise would have been better. I agree with the idea of a package. Personally I would prefer a better interface than the console (or screen). Similar to SABnzbd, which BTW is also written in python. I hadn't heard of it until yesterday thanks to a local magazine. You can find out more about it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/sabnzbd

I will have to try it.

More on topic, I like the idea of having hellanzb running as its own user. Your idea would solve the root ownership issue versus my starting it when kde stars. I still dislike the idea of a daemon running when it isn't being used. Then again, its not like it takes up that much space or slows things down. I am still used to the ******* world of having 4 copies of svchost runing and each taking up 30 megs (and not knowing what any of them are doing :confused: )

I don't know if a configuration dialog is what you want to do. Some apt front ends don't display them properly. I think it's good enough to say in the docs that the user needs to edit the .conf file. Wine for example requires that you rune winecfg.

As for the archeticture problem, a lot of people forget about us 64-bit users. That's part of the problem running a 64-bit version of K/ubuntu. But, it causes me to learn more, which is only a good thing. I managed to install your .deb, then remove it (had to manually delete directories, dpkg -r did not do it). I have it installed and running using my home dir as the howto suggests.

<rant>
One thing I can say now that I am using this, I am finding that I don't need to dual boot. Between pan, binsearch.info, most all of my needs are met. I will keep the partition for the few times I feel like gaming. Which isn't often lately because this computer is quite frequently busy downloading. :)
</rant>

allnameswereout
June 29th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Wow, this program rocks!

Anyway, I've made a package for it.

It places files in:
- Source: /usr/share/hellanzb/
- Downloads/NZBs: /var/hellanzb/
- Config: /etc/hellanzb/
- Logs: /var/log/hellanzb/
- Initscript: /etc/init.d/hellanzb
- Binary symlink: /usr/bin/hellanzb.py
- Random docs: /usr/share/doc/hellanzb

It has an init script (based on the previously posted init script that uses screen) that will be launched on boot.

Unzip, sudo dpkg -i hella*deb, and place NZBs in /var/hellanzb/nzb/daemon.queue. Only downfall is that it runs as root.

This is my first package, so let me know if I did something incorrectly..

Enjoy!
Jason

Can you post your debian/ dir or the dsc, diff and orig src? I'd like to make some modifications and make a package for a different architecture.

Zorro
June 30th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Quick question, I noticed in the .conf an option for a newzbin account... what implementation are you planing on putting in.. Or does it do, that I can't see?

Thanks...

z.

czz7661
July 4th, 2006, 02:41 AM
There are some good front ends for this program that allow you to just upload the newzbin nzb id. To get it to work you have to add it to the conf file. But the one I got working that I like best is call hellahella, really nice interface. Much prettier than sabnzbd.

brownjl
July 5th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Hello all,

Just like to say thanks for this how to, I am a new linux user and not being able to process nzb files in a sensible way has stopped me switch to linux in the past.

Anyway, I need some help, I have created a user and group called nzb-user and created a copy of the init.d script posted ealier, how do I run that script /etc/init.d/nzb as the user nzb-user? A friend told me to change the ownership of the file to nzb-user which I tried, and change the special file settings but this hasn't worked..

Any ideas?

Cheers

James

darkblade
July 6th, 2006, 02:55 AM
I'm having the same issue and I've checked to make sure everything is running as it should be.

allnameswereout
July 6th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Hello all,

Just like to say thanks for this how to, I am a new linux user and not being able to process nzb files in a sensible way has stopped me switch to linux in the past.

Anyway, I need some help, I have created a user and group called nzb-user and created a copy of the init.d script posted ealier, how do I run that script /etc/init.d/nzb as the user nzb-user? A friend told me to change the ownership of the file to nzb-user which I tried, and change the special file settings but this hasn't worked..

Any ideas?

Cheers

James

Hi James (and darkblade),

User ownership would only work it if it were setuid and group ownership would only only work if it were setgid. However both of these methods are depricated.

You don't run the script as user. You run the script as root and in the script you switch to a user account (e.g. su - nzb-user) then executing the command or you run a command as user (e.g. su -c 'whoami' nzb-user).

Some init-scripts, especially nice (debianized) ones, allow one to set this kind of stuff up in /etc/default or in the configuration file of the daemon (e.g. Apache, PowerDNS, Pure-FTPd, and so on). Other init-scripts have to be modified themselves but this is considered ancient and ugly. In the case of this software YMMV. I'm not able to tell as i have not studied the software.

danalog
July 11th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Hi all, I've made a new version of this howto for OSX if anyone is interested:

Howto nzb par and unrar all in-one for OSX (http://www.macbookfan.eu/2006/07/11/howto-nzb-par-and-unrar-all-in-one-for-osx/)

gurgle
July 13th, 2006, 03:02 AM
trying to run hellanzb:

Downloading http://hellanzb.com/hellanzb/hellahella/trunk#egg=hellahella-dev
Doing subversion checkout from http://hellanzb.com/hellanzb/hellahella/trunk to /tmp/easy_install-WcDJ2h/trunk
sh: svn: command not found
Processing trunk
error: Couldn't find a setup script in /tmp/easy_install-WcDJ2h/trunk

gurgle
July 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM
new version of sabnzbd is out:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sabnzbd/

I am having problems installing it thought. when i run

"python setup.py install" it doesnt install :???:

allnameswereout
July 16th, 2006, 02:26 PM
trying to run hellanzb:

Downloading http://hellanzb.com/hellanzb/hellahella/trunk#egg=hellahella-dev
Doing subversion checkout from http://hellanzb.com/hellanzb/hellahella/trunk to /tmp/easy_install-WcDJ2h/trunk
sh: svn: command not found
Processing trunk
error: Couldn't find a setup script in /tmp/easy_install-WcDJ2h/trunk

sudo apt-get install subversion

jms830
July 19th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I put 2 nzb files in the queue folder and recieved this output, but nothing seems to be happening. I don't really know what to do.

hellanzb v0.9 (config = /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf)
(giganews) Opening 4 connections...
hellanzb - Now monitoring queue...
Found new nzb: sps06
Found new nzb: sps07

TuxCrafter
July 20th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Hello,

How do I get par2 to remember witch files are already scanned and are not changed so that it can contrinue its scan.

rbgCODE
July 31st, 2006, 05:38 PM
I put 2 nzb files in the queue folder and recieved this output, but nothing seems to be happening. I don't really know what to do.

(giganews) Opening 4 connections...
Found new nzb: sps06
Found new nzb: sps07

Sounds like you have incorrect server settings. You can puyt it into debug mode if you want to make sure.

zenwhen
August 2nd, 2006, 12:47 AM
This guide REALLY helped me out. Thanks!

rlynch
August 2nd, 2006, 03:38 AM
Yea I gotta say. . .Pan. . .sucks. I don't mind using a 'text' reader, as long as I have nzb support. Thanks for the tut.

rlynch
August 2nd, 2006, 06:33 AM
I see the folders that are being made have ownership permission by root. . .but im not root, im 'example'. so it doesn't let me delete the files or folders after i've watched what i downloaded(talking about files in my usenet folder)

rlynch
August 2nd, 2006, 10:39 PM
nvm, i see sudo chmod 777 blah works, then I can delete it in the folder. still seems dumb to do it like that though.

TwoWordz
August 9th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Great post. I didn't know about hellanzb.

Looks like there is a firefox extension to take care of the nzb files:

http://z0g.org/hellafox/

I just found out about it, I was on hellanzb's site trying to make hellanzb work on cygwin. I'm on my windows laptop so I didn't test it yet.

Sweeeeeeet.

TW

TNBY963
August 10th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks a lot man! You freed up a lot of my time. I never got HJsplit to work smooth, but hellanzb does this in seconds. Really, I'm amazed.

And btw, I don't regret switching to ubuntu from XP. This community alone is reason enough!

fuzzmo
August 12th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I got to say a huge thanks for the instructions - this is a brilliant program and with hellafox it has made the whole process just 1 step compared to 4-5 under xp. A brilliant guide - mnay thanks dude! Just need WoW to run under Wine/Cedega and then it truly is goodbye XP!!!

Thanks once again dude!

uncreative
August 13th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure if this has ever been mention before but I used http://www.bnr2.org/ for my NZB files.

Also, quickpar, and winrar work flawlessly under WINE.

gurgle
August 17th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I would love a guide for installing Sabnzbd. the program itself is easy, its just the dependencies that are a biatch.

Ambimom
August 18th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Hope someone is still reading this thread....I followed the instructions, got to certain point, but then I was denied permission. Now the file is in my user directory but I cannot delete it. It says I don't own it so I can't remove it. How can I get rid of this? I was hoping to use NZB files, but apparently I don't understand the intricacies of python et.al. Can someone help me get rid of hellanzb?

spamathon
August 22nd, 2006, 06:50 PM
Hope someone is still reading this thread....<snip>
You're in luck!

Ok, the guide isn't perfect, apparently (but very helpful!); try this for point 6:

Similarly, anything that you "can't do" can be done (usually) by placing a sudo in front. Hence, be very careful when deleting files using sudo. The reason you need to use it here is because these files are being placed into directories that your logged-in user doesn't own or have permission to change.

I'm pretty sure sudo means "DO this action as a Super User", but I could be wrong... Either way, it's handy to think of it that way. Yep, I'm new to Linux, but thoroughly enjoying it. :)

spock1982
August 26th, 2006, 02:49 AM
WOW! Thanks this is a great how to. I am now one step closer to ditching my XP installation.

Sawyer
August 26th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I would love a guide for installing Sabnzbd. the program itself is easy, its just the dependencies that are a biatch.

Yup. I wonder why Sabnzbd, which is more powerful than HEllaNZB, hasn't been as extensively covered. I can't get it installed, yet some people seem to have so little trouble no one actually bothered making a scant HowTo on it.

Bummer.

chell
August 28th, 2006, 06:09 PM
How do I uninstall this program. Not that I want to but I think I'll sleep better if I do...

Cheers

chell

pipehippy
August 30th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the great tute Danalog. I'm sure it even makes perfect sense to the majoruty of users, unfortunately this first day user is strugglin - It just took me over an hour just to put amsn on my system!

Couple of questions...

Whats going wrong here?

(changeme) Opening 4 connections...
Found new nzb: worlds fastest indian
Parsing: worlds fastest indian.nzb...
Parsed: 30 files (5933 posts), 1454.3MB
Queued: 1454.3MB

Also I'm still trying to get my head around this terminal idea, I'm very used to the comfort zone of the setup exec. If i get the script working do I save it then run it again? If I do save it how do I re execute it?

Thanks for any possible help

TwoWordz
August 30th, 2006, 03:40 PM
@pipehippy:

Here is how it works:

When you start hellanzb, it checks for new files in the nzb directory and start to download if it finds one.

Once you installed the program, it will stay on your computer. You will need to run it each time you start your session and the console must remain open as long as you want to use hellanzb.

I use gnome-session to start hellanzb automaticly.

hope this helps,

tw

pipehippy
August 30th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks, sorted it now. Somebodies useful comment concerning config.sample saved me ***.

TuxCrafter
September 5th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Hello boys i have some problems and hope we can solve them:

I cant download a separate *.nzb file if it is the only one in the *.nzb file i query ( i want to donwload only a nzb file)

for example:
http://yabse.com/index.php?q=178668

I make a nzb for dowloading that nzb. So that i can query the downloaded nzb after that.

Also. I want hellanzb to do one thing at a time, only par2 -r or unrar or only download. because the system don't like parring unraring en downloading at the same time. (i already set these things in the config file

# Disable SMART_PAR (download all PAR files)
Hellanzb.SMART_PAR = False

# Skip unraring during post processing
Hellanzb.SKIP_UNRAR = False

# Max files we should decompress at the same time
Hellanzb.MAX_DECOMPRESSION_THREADS = 1

# Don't get rid of (move into the PROCESSED dir) the following file types when
# finished post processing (case insensitive)
Hellanzb.KEEP_FILE_TYPES = [ 'log', 'm3u', 'nfo', 'nzb', 'sfv', 'txt' ]
#Hellanzb.KEEP_FILE_TYPES = [ 'nfo', 'txt' ]

# List of alternative file extensions matched as NZB files in the QUEUE_DIR.
# The 'nzb' file extension is always matched
#Hellanzb.OTHER_NZB_FILE_TYPES = [ 'xml' ]

Can someone help me?

ravpaul
September 10th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Hi guys, I keep getting the following error when running hellanzb.py:

(news2) Opening 4 connections...

and nothing happens.

I do not know the name of my usenet server or how to obtain it. I am registered with newzbin but do not have any other information at the moment.

I am putting the nzb files into the folder that I have specified in the /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf
but no use.

Please help, I've paid for 8 weeks and after 2 still have not managed to resolve anything.

TuxCrafter
September 10th, 2006, 11:08 AM
You have to set the correct settings for your news server in the hellanzb config file. adress user and password ect must al be correct.

ravpaul
September 10th, 2006, 03:12 PM
You have to set the correct settings for your news server in the hellanzb config file. adress user and password ect must al be correct.

How do I know whast my news server is?

TuxCrafter
September 10th, 2006, 03:15 PM
you have to find this information by your supplyer of your newsserver

theiz
September 15th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I have got quite a fast internet connection (1000KB/s), with Klibido I get download speeds from my newsserver of 800-900KB/s, with hellanzb I have speeds around 75KB/s...

I checked the .conf and there are #-signs before the limiter. Also all 8 connections are used.

Can anyone help me on this?

GuiGuy
September 22nd, 2006, 04:03 AM

Hi,
I had followed your instructions and except for some issues with permissions (everything seems to install to root), it was working fine.

Then, yesterday I get this:

(changeme) Opening 8 connections...
Resuming: <some nzb>
Parsing: <some files>...
Parsed: 18 files (26 posts), 3.8MB
Queued: 3.8MB

it stalls a Queued and nothing happens. <some nzb> is a valid nzb file and <some files> are valid files to be downloaded.

hellanzb.py status shows hellanzb.py is "idle"

I've tried to clear the queue and restart but only get the same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks

GuiGuy
September 22nd, 2006, 04:32 AM
hellanzb.py status shows hellanzb.py is "idle"

I've tried to clear the queue and restart but only get the same result.

Nevermind- the damn thing just came good all by itself. I have no idea what's going on... :confused:

GuiGuy
September 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
I have got quite a fast internet connection (1000KB/s), with Klibido I get download speeds from my newsserver of 800-900KB/s, with hellanzb I have speeds around 75KB/s...

I've got the same issue - on ADSL 1500/256. KLibido downloads at max speed. Hellanzb < 40kb/s

Thanks

TuxCrafter
September 23rd, 2006, 01:28 PM
Hi,
(changeme) Opening 8 connections... !!!!!!!!!
Resuming: <some nzb>
Parsing: <some files>...

I don't think you have you connection configured the right way check the first post and your server for settings and information.

TuxCrafter
September 23rd, 2006, 01:29 PM
I don't now what your speed issue is!

I am looking for more control on the hellanzb process.

I want it to stop checking the par files when it's downloading.
But i can't set that setting in the config file file (only smart par)

Also i want hellanzb to exit when there is nothing to do any more.
So i can use hellanzb better in scripts.

Is there a another program that is command line and downloads only nzb files?

RageAgainstThis
September 26th, 2006, 05:12 AM
I'm a little new to linux and trying to figure out where i went wrong on my configuration file. It finds the new nzb but does no process it. Is that an issue with my config file. I believe i installed it correctly. Anyhow if anyone could please look over my config file to check

(astraweb) Opening 4 connections...
Found new nzb (msgid: 2122273): Inside_Man_(2006)_(H.264)

code/
#
# hellanzb.conf - sample hellanzb configuration file
#
# To quickly get started, change the default defineServer() call and the
# Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR directory
#
# This is actually interpreted python code: strings must be surrounded by
# quotes, numbers and the 'None' keyword should not
#
# $Id: hellanzb.conf.sample 726 2006-03-23 18:32:18Z pjenvey $

# Log output to this file, set to None (no single quotes) for no logging
Hellanzb.LOG_FILE = '/var/tmp/hellanzb.log'

# Uncomment this line to log DEBUG messages to the specified file
#Hellanzb.DEBUG_MODE = '/var/tmp/hellanzb-debug.log'

# Automatically roll over both log files when they reach LOG_FILE_MAX_BYTES
# size
Hellanzb.LOG_FILE_MAX_BYTES = 0

# Save LOG_FILE_BACKUP_COUNT of those rolled over log files
Hellanzb.LOG_FILE_BACKUP_COUNT = 0

# Define server connections. Servers can have multiple hosts, hellanzb will
# persist the number of connections to each specified server. There may be
# multiple defineServer lines.

defineServer(id = 'astraweb',
hosts = [ 'news.astraweb.com:119' ],

username = 'xxxxxxxx',
password = 'xxxxxxxx',
#password = None,

connections = 4,
)

# bandwidth
#Hellanzb.MAX_RATE = 150 # limit to 150kB/s

# Important locations
Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR = '/home/branden'

# Where to put queued .nzb files
Hellanzb.QUEUE_DIR = '/home/branden/NZBQUEUE'

# Where the fully processed archives go
Hellanzb.DEST_DIR = '/home/branden/FINALDESTINATION'

# The .nzb currently being downloaded is stored here
Hellanzb.CURRENT_DIR = Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR + 'nzb/daemon.current/'

# The archive currently being downloaded is stored here
Hellanzb.WORKING_DIR = Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR + 'nzb/daemon.working/'

# Archives interrupted in the middle of downloading are stored here temporarily
Hellanzb.POSTPONED_DIR = Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR + 'nzb/daemon.postponed/'

# Archives currently being processed. May contains archive directories, or
# symbolic links to archive directories
Hellanzb.PROCESSING_DIR = Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR + 'nzb/daemon.processing/'

# Temp storage
Hellanzb.TEMP_DIR = Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR + 'nzb/daemon.temp/'

# Filename to store hellanzb state in between CTRL-Cs. The state (includes the
# order of the queue, and smart par recovery information) is intermittently
# written out as XML to this file
Hellanzb.STATE_XML_FILE = Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR + 'nzb/hellanzbState.xml'

# _Sub directory within the nzb archive dir_ to move processed files to
Hellanzb.PROCESSED_SUBDIR = 'processed'

# Remove the PROCESSED_SUBDIR if the archive was successfully post processed.
# Warning: The normal Hellanzb.LOG_FILE should be enabled with this option --
# for a record of what hellanzb deletes
Hellanzb.DELETE_PROCESSED = True

#Hellanzb.SMART_PAR = False

#Hellanzb.SKIP_UNRAR = False

# hellanzb inherits the umask from the current user's environment (unless it's
# running in daemon mode). The umask can be forced with this option
#Hellanzb.UMASK = 0022

# Supported music types (case insensitive) and optionally their decompression
# executables
# and the file type that executable will decompress to (case insensitive). The
# exes must be in the PATH.
#
# <FILE> will be replaced with the name of music file
# optional <DESTFILE> is <FILE> with the specified extension
#
# None means these files don't need to be decompressed
defineMusicType('wav', None, None)
defineMusicType('mp3', None, None)
#defineMusicType('ape', 'mac <FILE> <DESTFILE> -d', 'wav')
#defineMusicType('flac', 'flac -d -- <FILE>', 'wav')
#defineMusicType('shn', 'shorten -x < <FILE> > <DESTFILE>', 'wav')

Hellanzb.MAX_DECOMPRESSION_THREADS = 2

# Enable Mac OS X Growl notifications
Hellanzb.GROWL_NOTIFY = False

# The growl notification server, in the format 'hostname'
Hellanzb.GROWL_SERVER = 'IP'

# The growl password
Hellanzb.GROWL_PASSWORD = 'password'

# Hostname for the XMLRPC client to connect to. By default, localhost
Hellanzb.XMLRPC_SERVER = 'localhost'

# Port number the XML RPC server will listen on, and the client will connect to.
# Set to 'None' (without the quotes!) for no XML RPC server
Hellanzb.XMLRPC_PORT = 8760

# Password for the XML RPC server. You might probably never use this, but the
# command line XML RPC calls do -- it should definitely be changed from its
# default value. The XML RPC username is hardcoded as 'hellanzb' -- E.g. URL:
# http://hellanzb:changeme@localhost:8760
Hellanzb.XMLRPC_PASSWORD = 'changeme'

# Username/Password to http://www.newzbin.com for automatic NZB downloading
Hellanzb.NEWZBIN_USERNAME = None
Hellanzb.NEWZBIN_PASSWORD = None

# If any of the following file types are missing from the archive and cannot be
# repaired, continue processing because they're unimportant (case insensitive)
Hellanzb.NOT_REQUIRED_FILE_TYPES = [ 'log', 'm3u', 'nfo', 'nzb', 'sfv', 'txt' ]

#Hellanzb.KEEP_FILE_TYPES = [ 'log', 'm3u', 'nfo', 'nzb', 'sfv', 'txt' ]
Hellanzb.KEEP_FILE_TYPES = [ 'nfo', 'txt' ]

/code

RageAgainstThis
September 26th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Sorry i guess i posted wrong. I meant to do it by code.

Floor19
September 26th, 2006, 12:28 PM
For those looking for a installation guide of SABnzbd.

http://drbyte.wiki.xs4all.nl/index.php?title=drbyte:Community_Portal#Installati on_SABnzbd

Cheers.

TuxCrafter
September 26th, 2006, 12:59 PM
There are a lot of nzb downloaders out there. I now also test nzbperl it as great features that hellanzb doens't have. It only use a slower decoder.

Sawyer
October 20th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Hi guys, I keep getting the following error when running hellanzb.py:

(news2) Opening 4 connections...

and nothing happens.

I do not know the name of my usenet server or how to obtain it. I am registered with newzbin but do not have any other information at the moment.

I am putting the nzb files into the folder that I have specified in the /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf
but no use.

Please help, I've paid for 8 weeks and after 2 still have not managed to resolve anything.

LOL!
Newzbin isn't a server. You still need a (paid) server.
Here you go. These are the best in the business:

http://www.giganews.com/?c=gn222979

The most retention, as in the files that are uploaded will be preserved longer than any other newsservers out there.

$25 monthly.

The .nzb's you generate in newzbin, or yabse, or any other monitor sites, you drop 'em into the "queue" folder you specified in Hellanzb, and off you go. The terminal will notify you of any developments, such as what is downloading or what is unrarring etc.

Remember, drop just the .nzb file. If I remember correctly, hella doesn't process zip archives the way SAB does.

aztechclan
November 2nd, 2006, 06:41 AM
Hi RageAgainstThis,
I've had this problem before, and it has re-occured a couple times. Hellanzb will decide to kinda sit there and not download anything. It seems to happen in unusual circumstances and I can't reproduce them. To fix it, I had to delete the entire hellanzbhome/nzb directory. That includes the daemon.queue and others. Hellanzb will recreate it the next time it runs, and your files will download. You also need to delete and recreate the directory you use for your downloads. hellanzbhome/usenet I believe. You can copy the downloads out of there first of course.

Try it, it'll work I swear. Not sure why really but I think it's getting it's saved state screwed up somehow.

I'm a little new to linux and trying to figure out where i went wrong on my configuration file. It finds the new nzb but does no process it. Is that an issue with my config file. I believe i installed it correctly. Anyhow if anyone could please look over my config file to check

(astraweb) Opening 4 connections...
Found new nzb (msgid: 2122273): Inside_Man_(2006)_(H.264)

code/
#
#
#
#
# $Id: hellanzb.conf.sample 726 2006-03-23 18:32:18Z pjenvey $

# size

defineServer(id = 'astraweb',
hosts = [ 'news.astraweb.com:119' ],

username = 'xxxxxxxx',
password = 'xxxxxxxx',
#password = None,

connections = 4,
)

# bandwidth

# Important locations
Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR = '/home/branden'

Hellanzb.QUEUE_DIR = '/home/branden/NZBQUEUE'

Hellanzb.DEST_DIR = '/home/branden/FINALDESTINATION'

# Temp storage

#Hellanzb.UMASK = 0022

# executables
#
#

# The growl password

# Port number the XML RPC server will listen on, and the client will connect to.

/code

jhaquo
November 7th, 2006, 09:44 AM
hi
im using hellanzb since a few days now and its awsome
the problem is, when i make a big nzb with different files, he will only extract them when he has downloaded everything. is there any way to extract the files as ssoon as everything is downloaded for THAT file?

thanks in advance :)

454redhawk
November 8th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Some Free NZB sites. some may require free registration.

http://www.nzbpowered.com/

http://thepeerhub.com/index.php

http://nzbmatrix.com/

http://www.newzleech.com/

http://www.nzbfile.com/

http://www.tvnzb.com/nzb

http://www.binindex.net/group_search.php

http://www.merlins-portal.net/Vbulletin/forums.php

http://www.newsfix.net/modules.php?name=nzb

http://alt.binaries.nl/

DragonZeal
November 11th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Hi I'm using Kubuntu 6.10.

I'm unable to install rar or par2.
dragonzeal@dragonzeal-desktop:/usr/etc$ sudo apt-get install unrar
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done

Can anybody help?

TuxCrafter
November 11th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Hi I'm using Kubuntu 6.10.

I'm unable to install rar or par2.
dragonzeal@dragonzeal-desktop:/usr/etc$ sudo apt-get install unrar
Building dependency tree

Can anybody help?

Try this :-D
sudo apt-get install rar par2

DragonZeal
November 11th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Trying to be funny?
dragonzeal@dragonzeal-desktop:/usr/etc$ sudo apt-get install rar par2
Password:
Building dependency tree
Package rar is not available, but is referred to by another package.
E: Package rar has no installation candidate

TuxCrafter
November 11th, 2006, 06:11 PM
hmm strange i will try a vmware image with edgy

TuxCrafter
November 11th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Can you install other things?

DragonZeal
November 11th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I'm trying Ubuntu now instead of Kubuntu.

Installing rar and par2 works.

Is it a problem with Kubuntu?

TuxCrafter
November 11th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Bug comfirmed, I have a clean xubuntu edge vmware install, enabled universe multiverse ect. Did a nice update an upgrade. and tried to install rar and unrar but the packages are not found.

Maybe you can download and compile rar manually.

TuxCrafter
November 13th, 2006, 10:51 PM
I have been working on the problem, could you try to change the locations in your source list.

TuxCrafter
November 14th, 2006, 09:10 AM
emmm.. seems i forgot to enable the compleet multiverse repos.
you have to make realy sure multiverse is enabeld :-D

Problems, solved there is no bug. I had to been really sure that
multiverse was enabled and the sources.list had the right structure. I
think some small things in the source.list structure have changes, in
the right way I might say. It now only takes one line for al the
packages and one line for al the sources.

leogibson
November 17th, 2006, 06:07 AM
ok, first i tried the OPs way...figured out i needed multiverse. ok. then had some trouble remembering to use sudo...ok. WOW heres a .deb from jason!!...seems to have been installed...im a real noob, but wheres the program? i try running hella.py and whatnot, and you guessed it...nothing. the Edgy deb manager says its installed fine...but i dont see a program running, or where to click on hella in the top bar??? do i need to be logged in as root? whats the deal? im totally lost. this was the one reason i was still using XP...now im really frustrated

root@leo-laptop:~# hellanzb.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/hellanzb.py", line 14, in ?
from Hellanzb.Core import main
File "/usr/share/hellanzb/Hellanzb/Core.py", line 9, in ?
from Hellanzb.HellaReactor import HellaReactor
File "/usr/share/hellanzb/Hellanzb/HellaReactor.py", line 11, in ?
import twisted.copyright
ImportError: No module named twisted.copyright

What am i doing wrong here???? what should i edit?
HELP

matt](*,) :-k :confused: ](*,)

TuxCrafter
November 17th, 2006, 09:58 AM
How did you install Hellanzb? Can you give me al the steps.

leogibson
November 17th, 2006, 02:10 PM
first, i tried the initial way on the original post. i downloaded hellanzb-0.9.tar.gz, and tried to install that way, using the exact code, and i edited my config file just like the 1st post said. might not have deleted all that before i tried the deb package..how do i remove everything and start over from scratch?

thanks for your help

TuxCrafter
November 17th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Hmm. I have not yet testet 0.9 release. In the readme of the source there is info on how to install and deinstall.

kaath
November 17th, 2006, 02:57 PM
0.10 is out
http://www.hellanzb.com/distfiles/hellanzb-0.10.tar.gz

leogibson
November 17th, 2006, 05:11 PM
the readme says nothing about how to uninstall.:-k

TuxCrafter
November 17th, 2006, 05:42 PM
You lucky basterd i will make a script for you :-D

TuxCrafter
November 17th, 2006, 05:54 PM
#Company: PowerCraft Technology
#Author: Copyright Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@powercraft.nl>
#Version: 0.0.2
#Date: 20-07-2006 / 17-11-2006
#System: Xubuntu 6.06
#Description: Setting up hellanzb
#Information: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=169749&highlight=hellanzb
#Information: http://www.hellanzb.com/
#Command: sudo ~/scripts/installations/hellanzb.sh

# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
# Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any
# later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.

#!/bin/sh

wget http://www.hellanzb.com/distfiles/hellanzb-0.10.tar.gz
tar -xzvf hellanzb-0.10.tar.gz

cd hellanzb-0.10/

sudo chmod 666 /var/tmp/hellanzb.log

wget http://www.hellanzb.com/hellanzb-content/yenc-0.3.tar.gz
tar xzfv yenc-0.3.tar.gz
cd yenc-0.3
python setup.py build

#grep -n ^defineServer /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf | grep -o ^[[:digit:]]*
#grep -n ")" /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf | grep -o ^[[:digit:]]*

exit

I want to know how it works out :-P

you still need to configure the hellanzb config file

sudo cp ~/scripts/installations/hellanzb/hellanzb.conf /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf

leogibson
November 18th, 2006, 09:00 AM
thanks for the script, it worked great, but the reason it wouldnt start was...my noobage. it never says to type ./ infront of a script anywhere in this thread to run it...ive read though quite a bit of the ubuntu documentation, i guess i just dont know the basics 100% yet.

thank you jason, and thank you for the script, tux.

saffsd
December 10th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Hello everyone! I've hacked on the script for autorunning hellanzb above a bit, and here's my version of it:

#! /bin/bash
#
#

NAME=hellanzb
NNTPS_SERVER=your_newsserver
NNTPS_PORT=563
USERNAME=your_username
STUNNEL_PIDFILE=/var/run/stunnel/stunnel.$NNTPS_SERVER.$NNTPS_PORT.pid
HELLANZB_PIDFILE=/var/run/hellanzb.pid

trap "" 1
export LANG=C

case "$1" in
start)
start-stop-daemon -S --pidfile $STUNNEL_PIDFILE --exec /usr/bin/stunnel -- -s $USERNAME -c -d localhost:119 -r $NNTPS_SERVER:$NNTPS_PORT
echo -ne "."
start-stop-daemon -S -c $USERNAME -m -b --pidfile $HELLANZB_PIDFILE --exec /usr/bin/screen -- -S $NAME -D -m /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/hellanzb.py
echo "."
;;

stop)
echo -ne "Stopping $NAME"
start-stop-daemon -K --pidfile $STUNNEL_PIDFILE
echo -ne "."
start-stop-daemon -K --pidfile $HELLANZB_PIDFILE
echo "."
;;

restart)
$0 stop
$0 start
;;
*)
echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/$NAME start|stop|restart}"
exit 1
;;
esac

exit 0

I'm pretty much a BASH noob so it's not a very good script, could still use alot of work (like properly handling if stuff is already running). At least it drops both stunnel and hellanzb to user-level privilleges.

Hellanzb needs to be set up properly for this script to work. Id est, you should be able to use it by keying "hellanzb.py" at the prompt.

I'm also not 100% sure it will work for everybody, please post results if you try it. Also, this script is for SSL-enabled nntp, hence it opens and closes and stunnel tunnel as needed. Could make this optional if anyone desires, i just happen to use it. screen -R hellanzb works. NOTE: you will need to use stunnel3 with this script. I used stunnel3 in the repos, stunnel4 in the repos was buggy (its not the latest version. the latest version doesnt have the same problem, but i cant find a deb for it).

supertux
January 2nd, 2007, 01:54 PM
Hi, i changed that init script also a bit, it works for me now, including the screen functionality..

#! /bin/bash
#
#
# hellanzb init-script v0.5
#
# the following vars are used:
# NAME= leave it to hellanzb, its just a display name and it is used to connect to it with screen
# USERNAME= your username, this is used to run hellanzb in
# HELLANZB_PIDFILE= the pid file which the script checks
#
#

NAME=hellanzb
USERNAME=<your username>

trap "" 1
export LANG=C

case "$1" in
start)
start-stop-daemon -S -c $USERNAME -m -b --pidfile $HELLANZB_PIDFILE --exec /usr/bin/screen -- -S $NAME -D -m /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/hellanzb.py
echo "."
;;

stop)
echo -ne "Stopping $NAME"
start-stop-daemon -K --pidfile $HELLANZB_PIDFILE
echo "."
;;

restart)
$0 stop
$0 start
;;
*)
exit 1
;;
esac

exit 0

So change the USERNAME var. and start it.. When its working you can add it to the required runlevels!

yezzer
January 5th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I havent time to read the entire thread (too long!)
but i found when i installed this I had to:

6. python setup.py install
change
6. sudo python setup.py install

8. sudo gedit /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf.sample
change
8. sudo gedit /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf

otherwise you're editing the sample file.

Note: i'm completely new to this, so i may have done everything wrong.. but it DOES work for me! :D

kd7swh
January 12th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Can anyone show me how to add ssl support with stunnel or sslwrap?

frolle
January 18th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Anybody how got zussaweb working? Its a great webui.

shadowuht
January 23rd, 2007, 01:32 AM
Can anyone show me how to add ssl support with stunnel or sslwrap?

I would appreciate this too.

VuDu
January 26th, 2007, 12:56 AM
ok, first i tried the OPs way...figured out i needed multiverse. ok. then had some trouble remembering to use sudo...ok. WOW heres a .deb from jason!!...seems to have been installed...im a real noob, but wheres the program? i try running hella.py and whatnot, and you guessed it...nothing. the Edgy deb manager says its installed fine...but i dont see a program running, or where to click on hella in the top bar??? do i need to be logged in as root? whats the deal? im totally lost. this was the one reason i was still using XP...now im really frustrated

root@leo-laptop:~# hellanzb.py
File "/usr/bin/hellanzb.py", line 14, in ?
File "/usr/share/hellanzb/Hellanzb/Core.py", line 9, in ?
from Hellanzb.HellaReactor import HellaReactor
File "/usr/share/hellanzb/Hellanzb/HellaReactor.py", line 11, in ?
import twisted.copyright
ImportError: No module named twisted.copyright

What am i doing wrong here???? what should i edit?
HELP

matt](*,) :-k :confused: ](*,)

I'm having the same problem... I have just installed python-twisted and hellanzb, and I get this:

vudu@vudumachine:~$ hellanzb
File "/usr/bin/hellanzb", line 14, in <module>
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/Hellanzb/Core.py", line 12, in <module>
import optparse, os, signal, sys, time, thread, threading, Hellanzb, Hellanzb.PostProcessor
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/Hellanzb/PostProcessor.py", line 15, in <module>
from Hellanzb.PostProcessorUtil import *
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/Hellanzb/PostProcessorUtil.py", line 13, in <module>
from twisted.scripts.twistd import daemonize
ImportError: cannot import name daemonize

I dunno what to do.. I'm on Feisty by the way.

Roderik
January 28th, 2007, 10:48 AM
roderik@alucius ~ $ hellanzb.py
File "/usr/bin/hellanzb.py", line 14, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/Core.py", line 12, in <module>
import optparse, os, signal, sys, time, thread, threading, Hellanzb, Hellanzb.PostProcessor
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/PostProcessor.py", line 15, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/PostProcessorUtil.py", line 13, in <module>

i've got the same problem on a new feisty install

there was also a prolem when installing, but that was solved by installing python2.5-dev

Roderik
January 28th, 2007, 11:04 AM
just found a matching bug report in the hellanzb trac, testing the svn version now

http://www.hellanzb.com/trac/hellanzb/ticket/254

UPDATE: svn version works like expected!

Duffman
January 28th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Wow thanks alot man this really is nice. Definitely one of the reasons i was still using windows... Now if we could get a nice gui for it

kd7swh
January 30th, 2007, 07:31 PM
There are some GUIs out there for it.

pirothezero
February 8th, 2007, 02:36 AM
I can't move nzb files to daemon.queue, i keep getting:

cp: cannot create regular file `/giganews/nzb/daemon.queue': No such file or directory

the directory is there so no idea what is going on. And when i try to drag it in I get access denied.

My permissions screwed up?

kd7swh
February 10th, 2007, 07:34 AM
My permissions screwed up?

Most likely yes.

try doing a "chmod 777" to the directory. (as root)

BigB3n
February 10th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Great forum here, it already helped me several times.
I find hellanzb really a top program. However I have a litle problem:
After creating the /downloadddir/usenet/MYDOWNLOADNAME.
It has the permition root root 755. Can is automatic change this (not with chmod because the the next time I have the same problem)? Because the map /downloaddir/usenet is shared by samba so i have to be able to modify this map and its content.

Thanks

kd7swh
February 11th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Great forum here, it already helped me several times.
I find hellanzb really a top program. However I have a litle problem:
After creating the /downloadddir/usenet/MYDOWNLOADNAME.
It has the permition root root 755. Can is automatic change this (not with chmod because the the next time I have the same problem)? Because the map /downloaddir/usenet is shared by samba so i have to be able to modify this map and its content.

Thanks

I don't know about automatically changing it, but you can run hellanzb as root.

sudo hellanzb.py

This would give you all the needed permissions. Permissions are the reason I don't use Samba. Maybe you can change the permission in the samba.conf file that might retain it. (just a thought)

good luck! :)

satrich
February 13th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I have a question about hellanzb. It is running fine here.
But the question is, does Hellanzb reconnect to the newsserver after a connection time-out? Because my newsserver gives me time-outs every time I reach my monthly downloadlimit. But I can download in Windows with Grabbit after reaching that limit. Grabbit just keep trying to reconnect and after some time it will connect again and start downloading.

Is there such a feature in Hellanzb as reconnect to the server after a connection time out? It just seems like it hangs now. It just have to keep trying to connect to the server, but does it do that?

EDIT:
Well, I noticed that the download is continuing after a while. So the time-outs are handelled. But is there a parameter that can be set for this, so that Hellanzb will try to connect more often?
I see an option antiIdle = 4.5 * 60 in the hellanzb.conf file. I am wondering what antIdle does?

kd7swh
February 15th, 2007, 02:52 AM
I have a question about hellanzb. It is running fine here.
But the question is, does Hellanzb reconnect to the newsserver after a connection time-out? Because my newsserver gives me time-outs every time I reach my monthly downloadlimit. But I can download in Windows with Grabbit after reaching that limit. Grabbit just keep trying to reconnect and after some time it will connect again and start downloading.

Is there such a feature in Hellanzb as reconnect to the server after a connection time out? It just seems like it hangs now. It just have to keep trying to connect to the server, but does it do that?

EDIT:
Well, I noticed that the download is continuing after a while. So the time-outs are handelled. But is there a parameter that can be set for this, so that Hellanzb will try to connect more often?
I see an option antiIdle = 4.5 * 60 in the hellanzb.conf file. I am wondering what antIdle does?

I have not really had any problems like this. (but I have unlimited bandwidth). I figure that antiIdle is the key. 60 is most likely seconds (in this case 60 is one minute) and that is being multiplied by 4.5. So it will attempt to reconnect every 4.5 minutes???

(Thats how I read it.)

play around with it and let me know what works for you.

Good Luck!

kditty
February 15th, 2007, 04:56 PM
im having a problem with my config file. i recently switched news servers, and now i am using newsdemon instead of unsenetserver, how do i go about changing this in my settings to allow me to download from newsdemon instead?

shookone
February 16th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I have been using Hellanzb for some time. I think its great... this thread is great, as it has helped me discover this great app.

However, I'm noticing that this application is starting to stop after a parity check. I don't see errors, Process list shows that it is trying to unrar the files but there is no activity.

Please help me .. I'm using some script someone set up to get hellanzb to work via screen from this thread.

pirothezero
February 16th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I have been using Hellanzb for some time. I think its great... this thread is great, as it has helped me discover this great app.

However, I'm noticing that this application is starting to stop after a parity check. I don't see errors, Process list shows that it is trying to unrar the files but there is no activity.

Please help me .. I'm using some script someone set up to get hellanzb to work via screen from this thread.

I started having the same problem. I took the advice on a few pages back and pulled anything completed out of usenet and deleted usenet and the nzb directory and restarted my comp. and it created nzb and usenet again.

Then i ran the same file I had tried to get and it did it again. Then I come across the php module Zussaweb and I came across the commands hellanzb.py status and hellanzb.py shutdown which I was to ignorant to try/read the man for. After doing both and restarting it again with sudo hellanzb.py it processed the finished file it had stored in .processing which is where I was getting stuck and queued up the next one. Will report back if it hangs again.

Another thing, so outside of the screen -R hellanzb is there anyway to get a console of hellanzb processing ? Outside of shutting down the processing and starting it back up again. The screen method like reported for someone else doesn't do anything for me.

disturbedite
February 20th, 2007, 07:34 AM
i'm completely new to newsgroups and what not. hellanzb seems really simple so i like it. but i'm having the same problem as the guy a couple pages back. its thats nothing happens once hellanzb gets to to a certain point:
hellanzb v0.12 (config = /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf)
(news.qwest.net) Opening 4 connections...
Found new nzb: 1171952904
Parsing: 1171952904.nzb...
Parsed: 1 files (18 posts), 6.8MB
Queued: 6.8MB
[1]
[2]
[3]
[4]
[Total] 0.0KB/s, 6 MB queued, ETA: 00:00:0

i tried it with several nzb files from yabse including one that is only a day old but nothing works, it just sits there. i also tried deleting those directories in ~/ and letting hellanzb regenerate them itself, but that didn't work either.
here is my config file:
#
#
#
#
# $Id: hellanzb.conf.sample 994 2007-01-31 10:25:07Z pjenvey $

# size

defineServer(id = 'news.qwest.net',
hosts = [ 'news.qwest.net:119' ],

username = '**********',
password = '********',
#password = None,

connections = 4,
antiIdle = 3.0 * 60, # 4 minutes, 30 seconds, 0 to disable
#fillserver = 0 # defaults to 0 (a main server).
# fillservers must have values > 0
# (priority)
)

# bandwidth

# Important locations
Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR = '/home/disturbedite/'

Hellanzb.QUEUE_DIR = Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR + 'nzb/daemon.queue/'

Hellanzb.DEST_DIR = Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR + 'usenet/'

# Temp storage

# Save archives into a sub directory of DEST_DIR named after their newzbin.com
# category (when queued using the enqueuenewzbin XMLRPC call); e.g. Apps,
# Movies, Music
Hellanzb.CATEGORIZE_DEST = True

# Supply a path to the (un)rar command
#Hellanzb.UNRAR_CMD = None

# Supply a path to the par2 command
#Hellanzb.PAR2_CMD = None

# Supply a path to the optional macbinconv command (for converting MacBinary
# files)
#Hellanzb.MACBINCONV_CMD = None

#Hellanzb.UMASK = 0022

# executables
#
#

# The growl password

# Enable libNotify Daemon notifications
Hellanzb.LIBNOTIFY_NOTIFY = False

# Support extracting NZBs from ZIP files with this suffix (case insensitive) in
# QUEUE_DIR. Defaults to '.nzb.zip'. Set to False to disable.
#Hellanzb.NZB_ZIPS = '.nzb.zip'

# Support extracting NZBs from GZIP files with this suffix (case insensitive)
# in QUEUE_DIR. Defaults to '.nzb.gz'. Set to False to disable.
#Hellanzb.NZB_GZIPS = '.nzb.gz'

# Delay enqueueing new, recently modified NZB files added to the QUEUE_DIR until
# this many seconds have passed since the NZB's last modification time (defaults
# to 10 seconds)
#Hellanzb.NZBQUEUE_MDELAY = 10

# Optional external handler script. hellanzb will run this script after post
# processing an archive, with the following arguments:
#
# handler_script type archiveName destDir elapsedTime parMessage
#
# type: post processing result, either 'SUCCESS' or 'ERROR'
# archiveName: name of the archive, e.g. 'Usenet_Post5'
# destDir: where the archive ended up, e.g. '/ext2/usenet/Usenet_Post5'
# elapsedTime: a pretty string showing how long post processing took, e.g.
# '10m 37s'
# parMessage: optional post processing message. e.g. '(No Pars)'
#Hellanzb.EXTERNAL_HANDLER_SCRIPT = '~/bin/post_hellanzb.sh'

could someone help me out please?

pirothezero
February 20th, 2007, 07:43 AM
have you tired hellanzb.py shutdown and starting it again.

disturbedite
February 20th, 2007, 07:47 AM
wow that was a quick reply. thanks. i didn't think that'd work since i assumed i closed hellanzb correctly, but i tried it anyway and got:
Unable to connect to XMLRPC server,
error: Connection was refused by other side: 111: Connection refused.
The hellanzb queue daemon @ http://hellanzb:changeme@localhost:8760 probably isn't running

as it sounds, i'm pretty sure that just means it isn't running at the time the command was executed.

btw, i forgot to mention that i also tried running it as root but that didn't work either.

shookone
February 20th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I started having the same problem. I took the advice on a few pages back and pulled anything completed out of usenet and deleted usenet and the nzb directory and restarted my comp. and it created nzb and usenet again.

Then i ran the same file I had tried to get and it did it again. Then I come across the php module Zussaweb and I came across the commands hellanzb.py status and hellanzb.py shutdown which I was to ignorant to try/read the man for. After doing both and restarting it again with sudo hellanzb.py it processed the finished file it had stored in .processing which is where I was getting stuck and queued up the next one. Will report back if it hangs again.

Another thing, so outside of the screen -R hellanzb is there anyway to get a console of hellanzb processing ? Outside of shutting down the processing and starting it back up again. The screen method like reported for someone else doesn't do anything for me.

debug?

I think debug is all we got. I actually think its the screen thats stopping the processing. Its strange because it stops the processing when par2's complete 100%.. unrar loads up and doesn't do anything.

I'm going to try and run this without screens see if that helps. Im running this app from init.d/script that i got from this thread so it maybe that its causing this processing part to freeze.

ghoti
February 21st, 2007, 04:04 PM
Hi Just thought Id add my 2 cents to this.

First off, a big thanks for all the people who have contributed to this subject, thanks to you I am now running hellanzb, and am using the zussaweb frontend happily.

The methods I used were:
installed the hellanzb system as per the original howto, chaned the /etc/init.d/hellanzb script to the per user one.
Installed zussaweb (fixing a few typos in the sourcecode)

the main error I had was from the write permissions on the daemon.queue folder, which needed to be "chmod o+w daemon.queue" so that zussaweb could upload the files.

Next mission for me is to see if i can get this to work wholly from the one webpage, so i can start, stop and play to my hearts content.

disturbedite
February 22nd, 2007, 06:10 AM
this is prolly gonna sound like a really stupid question, cuz i think its prolly so easy that i'm overlooking how to do it, but how do you install zussaweb?

just extract the archive somewhere then what?

UPDATE: i finally got hellanzb working, sorta. i realized i was trying to use the wrong news server. my isp is qwest w/ msn premium. i was trying to use qwest's news servers when i should have been using msn's. so now thats what i'm trying to use. (msnews.microsoft.com:119). but now EVERY time i drop a nzb file in the queue folder i get:

Found new nzb: 1172265153
Parsing: 1172265153.nzb...
Parsed: 1 files (1 posts), 90KB
Queued: 90KB
hellanzb-tmp-1172265153.file0001 segment: 1 Article is missing!
Transferred <1KB in 0s at 0.4KB/s (1172265153)
1172265153: Finished processing (took: 0s) (total: 0s) (No Pars)

i'd appreciate any help.

pirothezero
March 4th, 2007, 02:01 AM
I am just going to say it..i don't mean to crap thread if it's considered as such.

I moved over from hellanzb to sabnzbd because I kept getting errors in the running of hella when it was downloading stuff and would leave stuff partially processed and i'd have to go in and either download the remaining files myself and extract it or just extract it. I deleted folders, reinstalled, upgraded, did everything i could think of but it kept throwing exceptions in hellanzb.py status.

After the move I couldn't be more happy.

Roderik
March 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I noticed that the latest release crapped out on me very often. First i thought that the python 2.5 on feisty was the cause but on edgy it was the same misery all over again. So i also moved to sabnzb and am happy with it for now. Allthough i don't like it eating all nzb's instead of only the one it's working on, and i am not particulary fond of a webbased userinterface. But hey at least i'm leeching again :)

TuxCrafter
March 4th, 2007, 12:00 PM
New Versions have come out so i created a new version of my script:

Have fun and report your feedback please :-D

giruzz
March 7th, 2007, 06:50 AM
[-] Unhandled Error
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Hellanzb/Daemon.py", line 114, in initDaemon
startNZBLeecher()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Hellanzb/NZBLeecher/__init__.py", line 231, in startNZBLeecher
reactor.run()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/twisted/internet/posixbase.py", line 218, in run
self.mainLoop()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/twisted/internet/posixbase.py", line 226, in mainLoop
self.runUntilCurrent()
--- <exception caught here> ---
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/twisted/internet/base.py", line 555, in runUntilCurrent
call.func(*call.args, **call.kw)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Hellanzb/NZBLeecher/Protocol.py", line 505, in fetchNextNZBSegment
self.deactivate()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Hellanzb/NZBLeecher/Protocol.py", line 469, in deactivate
self.factory.deactivateClient(self, justThisDownloadPool)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Hellanzb/NZBLeecher/Protocol.py", line 211, in deactivateClient
endDownload()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Hellanzb/Daemon.py", line 304, in endDownload
downloadTime = time.time() - sessionStartTime
exceptions.TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for -: 'float' and 'NoneType'

1173097271: Finished processing (took: 0s) (total: 0s) (No Pars)

I got this message every time hellanzb finishes with a download and after that crashes.

Any suggestions?

byee

g.

inmazer
March 16th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I have the exact same problem. Something wrong with the new version of hella or something wrong with my set up? This seems to happen only when unraring.

psyduck
March 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM
does anyone know how to uninstall hellanzb? I got the same problem with version 12 as the previous poster, and i want to try an older version

psyduck
March 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM
never mind

Mithrilhall
March 23rd, 2007, 09:53 PM
To anyone posting here about the problems they are having could you please post the version of E/K/U/X/buntu and hellanzb that you are running.

Thank you.

giruzz
March 24th, 2007, 12:08 AM
To anyone posting here about the problems they are having could you please post the version of E/K/U/X/buntu and hellanzb that you are running.

Thank you.

Kubuntu 6.10 - Hellanzb 0.12

giruz

giruzz
April 1st, 2007, 12:46 PM
A new version is out! :-)

g.

goonies
April 1st, 2007, 02:16 PM
is anyone maintaining a repository with these packages?

TuxCrafter
April 1st, 2007, 02:45 PM
Updated my installation script for all ubuntu distros

#!/bin/bash

#Author: Copyright Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@powercraft.nl>
#Note: Please send me an email if you enhanced the script
#Version: 0.0.6
#Date: 20-07-06 / 17-11-06 / 15-12-06 / 04-03-07 / 17-03-07 / 01-04-07
#System: Xubuntu 7.04
#Description: Setting up hellanzb
#Information: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=169749&highlight=hellanzb
#Information: http://www.hellanzb.com/
#Command: chmod +x hellanzb.sh; ./hellanzb.sh

# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
# Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any
# later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.

location="$PWD"

echo -n "install the necessary tools [Y/n]? "
read input
if [ "$input" != "n" ]
then
sudo apt-get install python-dev python-twisted unrar par2 build-essential
fi

echo -n "install hellanzb[Y/n]? "
read input
if [ "$input" != "n" ]
then
cd ~
wget http://www.hellanzb.com/distfiles/hellanzb-0.13.tar.gz
tar -xzvf hellanzb-0.13.tar.gz
cd hellanzb-0.13/

wget http://www.hellanzb.com/hellanzb-content/yenc-0.3.tar.gz
tar xzfv yenc-0.3.tar.gz
cd yenc-0.3
python setup.py build

cd ~
rm hellanzb-0.13.tar.gz
sudo rm -rf hellanzb-0.13
fi

echo -n "set-up personal configuration file for hellanzb[Y/n]? "
read input
if [ "$input" != "n" ]
then
cd "$location"
sudo cp hellanzb/hellanzb.conf /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf
if [ -e /var/tmp/hellanzb.log ]
then
sudo chmod 0666 /var/tmp/hellanzb.log
fi
fi

#grep -n ^defineServer /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf | grep -o ^[[:digit:]]*
#grep -n ")" /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf | grep -o ^[[:digit:]]*

exit

Jongi
April 9th, 2007, 01:46 PM
never mind

How did you do it?

Malik
April 20th, 2007, 06:11 PM
malik@malik-desktop:~$ hellanzb.py
ImportError: No module named Hellanzb.Core

wtf is going on?

frolle
April 22nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
malik@malik-desktop:~$ hellanzb.py
ImportError: No module named Hellanzb.Core

wtf is going on?

Good question. I am getting an error a lot the same:

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/PostProcessor.py", line 15, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/PostProcessorUtil.py", line 13, in <module>

sizzam
April 22nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Good question. I am getting an error a lot the same:

I was having the same problem with hellanzb installed from source on a fresh install of Feisty. Here is how I fixed it:

hellanzb is now in the repositories.

First, I got rid of the copy of hellanzb that I installed:

$ sudo rm /usr/bin/hellanzb.py
$ sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/
$ sudo rm /usr/etc/hellanzb.*

I then installed hellanzb from the repos. Note that if you are doing a fresh install from the repos, you also need unrar and par2.

$ sudo aptitude install hellanzb unrar par2

I then executed hellanzb from a command line

$ hellanzb

and it worked. After that, I killed hellanzb and configured it. Note that your configuration file is now /etc/hellanzb.conf instead of /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf

Now I use this command to start hellanzb using screen whenever I log into Gnome:

screen -S hellanzb -d -m hellanzb

and I use this shortcut in Gnome to connect to that screen (make a custom shortcut with type 'Application in Terminal'):

screen -R hellanzb

frolle
April 22nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
Wow, your my hero :) Thanks a lot, it worked out!

:guitar: :popcorn: :KS

kunchi
April 26th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks Sizzam for the how to in fiesty fixed the errors and runs nicely

think I can try some more with it but think I have found one more thing linux can do that my xp box did!

now to get CoH working in WINE and I can have linux as my primary os machine

note:
if you are not changing the conf file to allow automatic unrar it will stop at done with the .rar files in the the done directory.
you need to make these changes for automatic unrar to run:
Hellanzb.UNRAR_CMD = '/usr/bin/unrar'

Hellanzb.PAR2_CMD = '/usr/bin/par2'

#Hellanzb.SKIP_UNRAR = True

robertpolson
May 24th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Can you please elaborate on this as when I enter screen -S hellanzb -d -m hellanzb into the terminal, nothing happens.

Also, with the version from repositories, the older one there is no SSL encryption and this sucks.

kraymore
May 26th, 2007, 04:20 PM
what do i do at this point ? i've never used nzb or newzbin before. what does a newzbin subscription do ?

hellanzb v0.10 (config = /etc/hellanzb.conf)
Hellanzb.XMLRPC_PORT = None, not starting the XML-RPC server
(changeme) Opening 10 connections...

kraymore
May 26th, 2007, 04:34 PM
i think i understand now. it only downloads nzb groups of files. there are alot of other files that are missing nzb's though. a pity.

i am curious does it place each nzb in a folder of its own ?

also how much is 4 weeks premium service in USD ?

thank you

kraymore
May 26th, 2007, 04:46 PM
i'm getting this error from hellanzb

@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ hellanzb abnl-cc199cae9841f17ea52e0083302b3cfb.nzb
Exiting: FatalError'>: Invalid remote call: abnl-cc199cae9841f17ea52e0083302b3cfb.nzb

is a XML_RPC server necessary ? i dont know what that is or how to configure it.

phro
May 27th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I think the command you're looking for kraymore is ~$hellanzb.py enqueue some_kinda.nzb

robertpolson
May 27th, 2007, 03:32 PM
i think i understand now. it only downloads nzb groups of files. there are alot of other files that are missing nzb's though. a pity.

i am curious does it place each nzb in a folder of its own ?

also how much is 4 weeks premium service in USD ?

thank you

Don't ask here, read on newzbin site http://docs.newzbin.com/index.php/Main_Page

benchMarc
June 8th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Works perfect!

Is it normal that hellanzb uses around 30-50% of cpu load? Looks a bit much to me and it really slows my system down while downloading. It also uses around 26mb of memory.

-- After thinking: maybe it's because i can download around 8MB/s here at school :P And my laptop has a 4200rpm harddisk.

chalewa
June 10th, 2007, 02:03 AM
I seem to be struggling a little bit with this.. I really like it, and i think that it is a great program, i just think that i am missing something. if anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated..

when i download a nzb and place it in the queue things work great,it downloads to the specified directory, but then nothing more happens, no parity checking, no unraring nothing... Then, if i try to place another nzb in the queue to download next, hellanzb will recognize that it is there, it just won't do anything with it. even if i delete the old nzb, and only the new on is in the queue, the same thing happens.

here is the output i get when it has finished downloading one nzb

chalewa4bambu@chalewad:~$ hellanzb

hellanzb v0.10 (config = /etc/hellanzb.conf)
(changeme) Opening 8 connections...
Found new nzb: selected_reports_20070608-001240
Resuming: selected_reports_20070608-001240
Parsing: selected_reports_20070608-001240.nzb...
Skipping pars.. (Skipped par2: original-hot.vol000+01.PAR2 (1MB))
Parsed: 323 files (45932 posts), 14902.5MB
Skipped (on disk): 290 files and 33 segments, 13900.5MB
Skipped pars: 33 files, 1017.1MB (actual skipped: 1002.0MB)
FEST.vol000+01.PAR2 ->
FEST.vol159+19.PAR2 (13 files, 468.7MB, 178 blocks)
method-bsmoan.vol000+01.PAR2 ->
method-bsmoan.vol134+32.PAR2 (10 files, 258.9MB, 166 blocks)
original-hot.vol000+01.PAR2 ->
original-hot.vol124+27.PAR2 (10 files, 289.5MB, 151 blocks)
selected_reports_20070608-001240: Assembled archive!

the only way that i can get past this is to actually close out the terminal window

Secondly, I cannot get the program to check parity and unrar. I thought that i had my config file done the right way but maybe not...

#
#
#
#
# $Id: hellanzb.conf.sample 801 2006-07-27 04:11:01Z alex $

# size

defineServer(id = 'changeme',
hosts = [ 'unlimited.newshosting.com:119' ],

username = 'xxxxxxxxxxx',
password = 'xxxxxxxxxxx',
#password = None,

connections = 8,
antiIdle = 4.5 * 60, # 4 minutes, 30 seconds, 0 to disable
)

# bandwidth

# Important locations
Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR = '/media/sda2/chalewa4bambu/Network'

Hellanzb.QUEUE_DIR = '/media/sda2/chalewa4bambu/Network'

Hellanzb.DEST_DIR = '/media/sda2/chalewa4bambu/Network'

Hellanzb.CURRENT_DIR = '/media/sda2/chalewa4bambu/Network'

Hellanzb.WORKING_DIR = '/media/sda2/chalewa4bambu/Network'

Hellanzb.POSTPONED_DIR = '/media/sda2/chalewa4bambu/Network/Postponed'

Hellanzb.PROCESSING_DIR = '/media/sda2/chalewa4bambu/Network/Processed'

# Temp storage
Hellanzb.TEMP_DIR = '/media/sda2/chalewa4bambu/Network/TEMP'

Hellanzb.STATE_XML_FILE = '/media/sda2/chalewa4bambu/Network/XML'

Hellanzb.PROCESSED_SUBDIR = '/media/sda2/chalewa4bambu/Network/Processed'

Hellanzb.SMART_PAR = True

Hellanzb.UNRAR_CMD = '/usr/bin/unrar'

#Hellanzb.UMASK = 0022

# executables
#
#

# The growl password

# Delay enqueueing new, recently modified NZB files added to the QUEUE_DIR until
# this many seconds have passed since the NZB's last modification time (defaults
# to 10 seconds)

#
#
# '10m 37s'

Any ideas? Thanks guys

xadloki
June 12th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Hello, I'm trying to go by this guide and there's an error I'm getting at the "python setup.py install" step...

xad@Kubuntu:~/hellanzb-0.13$ python setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_py
creating build
error: could not create 'build': Permission denied

I'm using Kubuntu 7.04
Thanks for this guide and hope someone can give me a hint to what I'm doing wrong...

Ah nevermind... I typed "sudo python setup.py install" and it worked, though I did try that before but I probably misstyped sudo :P

giruzz
June 12th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Hello, I'm trying to go by this guide and there's an error I'm getting at the "python setup.py install" step...

xad@Kubuntu:~/hellanzb-0.13$ python setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_py
creating build
error: could not create 'build': Permission denied

I'm using Kubuntu 7.04
Thanks for this guide and hope someone can give me a hint to what I'm doing wrong...

g.

cchester
June 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Hi,

Is there a gui that works for this and if so how do you install it and run it.

Thanks

honeydew
June 26th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Hi,

Thanks

I just wrote a python script that works with conky(will work in gnome/kde/xfce), it may work out for you.. I use this and hellafox and all my needs are met.

here is a howto
hellaconk (http://wiki.arcintel.com/doku.php?id=hellaconk)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=483774

I also attached a screenshot....

TuxCrafter
June 26th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Hi,

Thanks

There is no real gui for hellanzb yet. however you can try sa

sabnzbd hellanzb klibido pan nzbget nzbpower knzb slurp ubh < all linux usenet binary downloaders

My favorites are sabnzbd and hellanzb

sabnzbd has a very nice website gui system I recommend that one for you. Search the forum for installation help.

cchester
June 26th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks TuxCrafter for the info and recommendations.

Thanks honeydew for the script.

NeoTaoistTechnoPagan
July 11th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Wow! I absolutely love this!

Now it's a good thing that I have about 1.3TB to use on my server over here - I'm getting so much from the newsgroups I'll be the one supplying my torrent site for a while!

The howto was good - the last script that was upped had an issue with not moving the hellanzb.conf before deleting the directory.

I managed to get it all sorted out and I also have Zussaweb working.
A helpful hint - make sure you change permissions on the daemon.queue directory so you can upload files via the web interface.

zues
July 13th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I got a question, I got everything up and running except my hellanzb folder is locked and it doesnt have daemon queue or usenet folders. So I can't place nzb's into a queue that doesn't exist. Also even if I had the folder's I couldn't drag and drop them into a locked folder. I guess I could use the sudo nautilus command but that seems rediculous.

honeydew
July 16th, 2007, 09:30 PM
man chmod?

sudo chmod -R 777 lockedfolder

Theimon
July 16th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I got a question, I got everything up and running except my hellanzb folder is locked and it doesnt have daemon queue or usenet folders. So I can't place nzb's into a queue that doesn't exist. Also even if I had the folder's I couldn't drag and drop them into a locked folder. I guess I could use the sudo nautilus command but that seems rediculous.

Take ownership of those folders. Open a terminal and do the following:

sudo chown -R *your_username*:*your_username* /folderJust enter the top folder (I believe it's called /nzb), the -R option recurses so all subfolders are chown-ed too.

Edit: honeydew beat me to the punch, both options give the same result, well....closely......my option only will allow you to wrtie to the folder. Honeydews solution will enable any user to write to the folder.

zues
July 17th, 2007, 07:37 AM
I am having one hell of a time configuring hellanzb. I can get hellanzb running with the command sudo hellanzb.py here is my results: tommy@tsunami:~$ sudo hellanzb.py
Password:

hellanzb v0.11 (config = /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf)
(/home/tommy/) Opening 4 connections...

This is good I am pretty sure. Now Im sure the problem lies in the way i configured it here is my sudo gedit /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf.sample

#
#
#
#
# $Id: hellanzb.conf.sample 978 2007-01-29 03:00:30Z pjenvey $

# size

defineServer(id = '/home/tommy',

hosts = [ 'unlimited.newshosting.com:119' ],
#hosts = [ 'unlimited.newshosting.com',
'unlimited.newshosting.com:8000' ],

username = 'tommyarmour',
password = 'oxfo',
#username = tommyarmour, # no auth
#password = oxfo,

connections = 4,
antiIdle = 4.5 * 60, # 4 minutes, 30 seconds, 0 to disable
#fillserver = 0 # defaults to 0 (a main server).
# fillservers must have values > 0
# (priority)
)

# bandwidth

# Important locations
Hellanzb./home/tommy = '/ext2/'

Hellanzb.QUEUE_DIR = Hellanzb./home/tommy + 'nzb/daemon.queue/'

Hellanzb.DEST_DIR = Hellanzb./home/tommy + 'usenet/'

Hellanzb.CURRENT_DIR = Hellanzb./home/tommy + 'nzb/daemon.current/'

Hellanzb.WORKING_DIR = Hellanzb./home/tommy + 'nzb/daemon.working/'

Hellanzb.POSTPONED_DIR = Hellanzb./home/tommy + 'nzb/daemon.postponed/'

Hellanzb.PROCESSING_DIR = Hellanzb./home/tommy + 'nzb/daemon.processing/'

# Temp storage
Hellanzb.TEMP_DIR = Hellanzb./home/tommy + 'nzb/daemon.temp/'

# Save archives into a sub directory of DEST_DIR named after their newzbin.com
# category (when queued using the enqueuenewzbin XMLRPC call); e.g. Apps,
# Movies, Music
Hellanzb.CATEGORIZE_DEST = True

#Hellanzb.PAR2_CMD = None

# Supply a path to the optional macbinconv command (for converting MacBinary
# files)
#Hellanzb.MACBINCONV_CMD = None

#Hellanzb.UMASK = 0022

# executables
#
#

# The growl password

Hellanzb.NEWZBIN_USERNAME = zues
Hellanzb.NEWZBIN_PASSWORD = oxfo

# Support extracting NZBs from ZIP files with this suffix (case insensitive) in
# QUEUE_DIR. Defaults to '.nzb.zip'. Set to False to disable.
#Hellanzb.NZB_ZIPS = '.nzb.zip'

# Support extracting NZBs from GZIP files with this suffix (case insensitive)
# in QUEUE_DIR. Defaults to '.nzb.gz'. Set to False to disable.
#Hellanzb.NZB_GZIPS = '.nzb.gz'

# to 10 seconds)

#
#
# '10m 37s'

I do not have a folder in my /home/tommy/ called nzb it's called hellanzb-0.13 that contains several 2 other folders etc and hellanzb and some info folders. No where is there a daemon.queue folder to put my nzb's or is there a usenet folder to get the downloads once they are complete. Im stumped any help would be awesome thanks.

darqfiber
July 20th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Okay so installed, configured and got hellanzb to run at startup (some small tweaks to the /etc/init.d/hellanzb script to use the binary instead of the .py file)

HellaNZB is accepting input from zussaweb and hellafox and download and par verifying the files, then it stops.
It doesn't unrar or move the unrar'ed file to the destination directory.

However when I stop and restart hellanzb by logging into a terminal - /etc/init.d/hellanzb stop /etc.init.d/hellanzb start then it suddenly wakes up and unrars and moves files - from then on it seems to function as expected.

Now I suppose I could kludge a /etc/init.d/hellanzb restart into /etc/rc.local and that should get around the issue but why oh why is it doing that - logs and debug logs are clean. Could it be file permissions ? weird.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks

DF.

chalewa
July 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Okay so installed, configured and got hellanzb to run at startup (some small tweaks to the /etc/init.d/hellanzb script to use the binary instead of the .py file)

HellaNZB is accepting input from zussaweb and hellafox and download and par verifying the files, then it stops.

However when I stop and restart hellanzb by logging into a terminal - /etc/init.d/hellanzb stop /etc.init.d/hellanzb start then it suddenly wakes up and unrars and moves files - from then on it seems to function as expected.

Now I suppose I could kludge a /etc/init.d/hellanzb restart into /etc/rc.local and that should get around the issue but why oh why is it doing that - logs and debug logs are clean. Could it be file permissions ? weird.

Thanks

DF.

mine does the same thing, no unrar action. i have never been able to figure it out

icedfusion
July 29th, 2007, 10:42 PM

Thanks

DF.

After using the repository to update my version of hellanzb I had the same problem
I found that the following line does the trick in the config file:

maybe yours is set to true??

I also notice that in the config file has this line:

but as you can see i have it commented out as when i first installed unrar I added it to my path variable.

ice.

icedfusion
July 29th, 2007, 11:41 PM
I am having one hell of a time configuring hellanzb. I can get hellanzb running with the command sudo hellanzb.py here is my results: tommy@tsunami:~$ sudo hellanzb.py
Password:

hellanzb v0.11 (config = /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf)
(/home/tommy/) Opening 4 connections...

This is good I am pretty sure. Now Im sure the problem lies in the way i configured it here is my sudo gedit /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf.sample

# Important locations
Hellanzb./home/tommy = '/ext2/'

Hellanzb.QUEUE_DIR = Hellanzb./home/tommy + 'nzb/daemon.queue/'

Hellanzb.DEST_DIR = Hellanzb./home/tommy + 'usenet/'

Hellanzb.CURRENT_DIR = Hellanzb./home/tommy + 'nzb/daemon.current/'

Hellanzb.WORKING_DIR = Hellanzb./home/tommy + 'nzb/daemon.working/'

Hellanzb.POSTPONED_DIR = Hellanzb./home/tommy + 'nzb/daemon.postponed/'

Hellanzb.PROCESSING_DIR = Hellanzb./home/tommy + 'nzb/daemon.processing/'

# Temp storage
Hellanzb.TEMP_DIR = Hellanzb./home/tommy + 'nzb/daemon.temp/'

From the look of your hellanzb.conf file, it looks like you ahve messed up the directory assignments and confused yourself
When the rars are downloading they should be downloading into your home directory:

/home/tommy/.hellanzb
(this is a hidden directory so use ctrl+h to list hidden directorys)
You dont really need to see what goes on here, instead you need to sort out where the files are going to be put once they have downloaded.

I would suggest you use this, assuming your home is still as described in your config file, this will store your downloaded files in /home/tommy/downloads/usenet and should scan /home/tommy/downloads for your .nzb files.

# Important locations
Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR = '/home/tommy/downloads/'

Hellanzb.QUEUE_DIR = Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR

Hellanzb.DEST_DIR = Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR + 'usenet/'

# Temp storage

ice.

phusio
July 30th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Can anyone tell me please how i can make this automatically run at startup on my ubuntu server? I dont know much of scripts.
thanks in advance !

TuxCrafter
July 31st, 2007, 07:45 AM
place your command in you local startup config file
/etc/rc.local

phusio
July 31st, 2007, 09:15 PM
place your command in you local startup config file
/etc/rc.local

Thank you !!:)

Arumite
August 7th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Please pardon the noob question in advance.

How do i remove the Hellanzb-0.11 locked folder that is located in my /home/my_username/ directory.

I have tried

sudo rm hellanzb-0.11

and

sudo rm /home/my_username/hellanzb-0.11

I get...
rm: cannot remove *blah blah blah": Is a directory

*also how do you copy text from a terminal?

I've have spent WAY too much time to get this working.

I get the problem previously noted in this board where hellanzb is stuck in idle mode. I loaded the .nzb file into queue and the file gets moved to the current folder automatically, but goes nowhere from there.

Im going to try the Sabnzbd alternative.
Looks like a great piece of software thought. I would love it if i get it working.
Anyways, any help with the above would be greatly appreciated.

TuxCrafter
August 7th, 2007, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=Arumite;3145828]

How do i remove the Hellanzb-0.11 locked folder that is located in my /home/my_username/ directory.

*also how do you copy text from a terminal?

to remove a directory recursivly add the -r option
see the man rm manual

sudo rm /home/$USER/hellanzb-0.11/ -r

To copy text -> select with mouse -> right mouse button -> copy

benchMarc
August 25th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I want to download the files to my own Windows PC, that has a network share. I mounted the share in Ubuntu. The path is smb://192.168.0.50/NewsDownloads/. I've set the path in the hellanzb.conf file to: Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR = 'smb://192.168.0.50/NewsDownloads/'

But this doesn't work :( I have rights to write on that path. In Nautilus i can make folders etc, so that can't be the problem.

So is it that hellanzb can't work with network paths?

supertux
August 25th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I want to download the files to my own Windows PC, that has a network share. I mounted the share in Ubuntu. The path is smb://192.168.0.50/NewsDownloads/. I've set the path in the hellanzb.conf file to: Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR = 'smb://192.168.0.50/NewsDownloads/'

But this doesn't work :( I have rights to write on that path. In Nautilus i can make folders etc, so that can't be the problem.

So is it that hellanzb can't work with network paths?

You will have to mount it to a local path like : /mnt/NewsDownloads , then you can specify that in the config file!

benchMarc
August 25th, 2007, 04:01 PM
You will have to mount it to a local path like : /mnt/NewsDownloads , then you can specify that in the config file!

Yup, found that out 10min after posting :P But tnx anyway :)

darco
August 25th, 2007, 10:49 PM
How do you stop a download? I use alt + c to end the session but when when I restart Hella it restarts the d/l. Do I delete the .nzb from the daemon-que folder?
thxs
darco

TuxCrafter
August 26th, 2007, 08:37 AM
How do you stop a download? I use alt + c to end the session but when when I restart Hella it restarts the d/l. Do I delete the .nzb from the daemon-que folder?
thxs
darco

echo "continue command hellanzb.py"
hellanzb.py continue

echo "pause command hellanzb.py"
hellanzb.py pause

echo "shutdown command hellanzb.py"
hellanzb.py shutdown

Hope this provides enough information (hellanzb.py help)

darco
August 26th, 2007, 06:08 PM
echo "continue command hellanzb.py"
hellanzb.py continue

echo "pause command hellanzb.py"
hellanzb.py pause

echo "shutdown command hellanzb.py"
hellanzb.py shutdown

Hope this provides enough information (hellanzb.py help)

umm, where do I enter this command, in a different terminal? I tried that and did nothing to the terminal that is d/l an .nzb...

darco

TuxCrafter
August 26th, 2007, 06:41 PM
umm, where do I enter this command, in a different terminal? I tried that and did nothing to the terminal that is d/l an .nzb...

darco

just open a terminal window, when you are already downloading with hellanzb. and type
hellanzb.py pause in this new windows and hit the enter button and wait. If it does not work read the help files about hellanzb, I will not be able to help you in that case.

darco
August 26th, 2007, 07:48 PM
just open a terminal window, when you are already downloading with hellanzb. and type
hellanzb.py pause in this new windows and hit the enter button and wait. If it does not work read the help files about hellanzb, I will not be able to help you in that case.

Ok, cool...Pause/cancel/shutdown work fine....
thxs!

darco :KS

benchMarc
August 27th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Got another problem now...

HellaNZB downloads my files to my networkdrive on my other pc. But when i use, for example, hellaworld, i can see these error codes:

ERROR: [ThrottlingProtocol,client] Unhandled ErrorTraceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/log.py", line 48, in callWithLogger return callWithContext({"system": lp}, func, *args, **kw) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/log.py", line 33, in callWithContext return context.call({ILogContext: newCtx}, func, *args, **kw) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/context.py", line 59, in callWithContext return self.currentContext().callWithContext(ctx, func, *args, **kw) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/context.py", line 37, in callWithContext return func(*args,**kw)--- --- File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/Hellanzb/HellaReactor.py", line 86, in _doReadOrWrite handleIOError(ioe) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/Hellanzb/HellaReactor.py", line 70, in _doReadOrWrite why = getattr(selectable, method)() File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/internet/tcp.py", line 362, in doRead return self.protocol.dataReceived(data) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/protocols/policies.py", line 132, in dataReceived ProtocolWrapper.dataReceived(self, data) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/protocols/policies.py", line 72, in dataReceived self.wrappedProtocol.dataReceived(data) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/Hellanzb/NZBLeecher/Protocol.py", line 772, in dataReceived return self.dataReceivedToFile(data) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/Hellanzb/NZBLeecher/Protocol.py", line 868, in dataReceivedToFile self.write(data)exceptions.IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error
ERROR: [ThrottlingProtocol,client] Unhandled ErrorTraceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/log.py", line 48, in callWithLogger return callWithContext({"system": lp}, func, *args, **kw) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/log.py", line 33, in callWithContext return context.call({ILogContext: newCtx}, func, *args, **kw) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/context.py", line 59, in callWithContext return self.currentContext().callWithContext(ctx, func, *args, **kw) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/context.py", line 37, in callWithContext return func(*args,**kw)--- --- File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/Hellanzb/HellaReactor.py", line 86, in _doReadOrWrite handleIOError(ioe) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/Hellanzb/HellaReactor.py", line 70, in _doReadOrWrite why = getattr(selectable, method)() File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/internet/tcp.py", line 362, in doRead return self.protocol.dataReceived(data) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/protocols/policies.py", line 132, in dataReceived ProtocolWrapper.dataReceived(self, data) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/protocols/policies.py", line 72, in dataReceived self.wrappedProtocol.dataReceived(data) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/Hellanzb/NZBLeecher/Protocol.py", line 772, in dataReceived return self.dataReceivedToFile(data) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/Hellanzb/NZBLeecher/Protocol.py", line 868, in dataReceivedToFile self.write(data)exceptions.IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

Wouldn't be a problem if it would all work, but it doesn't. After downloading it doesn't par or extract. And looking at those errors, he got probems with parring while downloading, i guess.

What can this be?

terry_gardener
August 27th, 2007, 12:23 PM
this is a great idea tried the how to steps but when i do step 9 running the hellanzb.py i get error

terry@terry-desktop:~/Downloads/hellanzb-0.9$ hellanzb.py
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/Core.py", line 17, in <module>
from Hellanzb.Daemon import initDaemon, postProcess
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/Daemon.py", line 12, in <module>

can some one tell me what is wrong and how to fix it.

thanks

benchMarc
September 3rd, 2007, 01:03 AM
Someone's got a sollution to my last post? Could it be there's a problem with HellaNZB parring/extracting and network shares?

benchMarc
September 14th, 2007, 03:16 PM
No one knows?

GoatTuber
September 17th, 2007, 07:46 PM
this is a great idea tried the how to steps but when i do step 9 running the hellanzb.py i get error

terry@terry-desktop:~/Downloads/hellanzb-0.9$ hellanzb.py
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/Daemon.py", line 12, in <module>

can some one tell me what is wrong and how to fix it.

thanks

it looks like it's having trouble importing from the twisted module. Make sure you have python-twisted installed from Synaptic, or from a terminal run:
sudo apt-get install python-twisted

GoatTuber
September 17th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Got another problem now...

HellaNZB downloads my files to my networkdrive on my other pc. But when i use, for example, hellaworld, i can see these error codes:

Wouldn't be a problem if it would all work, but it doesn't. After downloading it doesn't par or extract. And looking at those errors, he got probems with parring while downloading, i guess.

What can this be?

Sorry, I've never tried using hellanzb with a shared drive. Do you get that same error if all the files are processed from a local drive? If it works that way, you might be able to get away with it if you add the share into your fstab so you see it like a local drive. There's a good tip how to do that here: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/6644

Kirobhan
September 18th, 2007, 07:54 PM
You need to install the newest version of Hellanzb. As of this post it is "hellanzb-0.13.tar.gz". You can download the newest version from this address:
http://www.hellanzb.com/distfiles/

I had the same problem. I assume because the python-twisted installed from the repositories is a newer version which is causing the the older Hellanzb script to fail.

-Kia

benchMarc
September 28th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Sorry, I've never tried using hellanzb with a shared drive. Do you get that same error if all the files are processed from a local drive? If it works that way, you might be able to get away with it if you add the share into your fstab so you see it like a local drive. There's a good tip how to do that here: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/6644

Thanks for your post. I tried it and i managed to map my share as a local drive. But there's one problem. I can't upload a nzb file from Zussaweb. It complains about chmod rights. As root i can add and delete files to the share, i can also do that as a normal user. But when i try uploading a file via Zussaweb (that runs on my apache server) it doesn't work. I can't chmod or chgrp anything. When i do this via the GUI it just changes back to the old setting. It's strange, because it says at permission for others: read and write.

:-k

Hopworks
October 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I hate asking for help on this, but I've read through this thread, and a few others, and I'm missing something big time I'm sure. Sorry for the long post. I wanted to include as much detail as possible minus the conf file, etc.

I'm using Ubuntu Feisty 7.04 with Gnome and I have been using hellanzb for quite awhile, successfully for the most part. What I can't seem to get my head around is the xml-rpc features. To start it, I have been either opening a terminal window or I use putty from my windows xp laptop. I use the command hellanzb.py to start it, and it waits, telling me it is monitoring the queue. When I get an nzb file, I put it in the queue folder I have set for new nzb files. Everything works fine from there, the file disappears, the downloading starts, when it is done, the archive is par checked and processed, and placed in my usenet folder. Like I said before, this whole process works fine for me. There are no lockups, exception errors, and for the most part the end result in my usenet folder is exactly what I want.

But when I want to stop using hellanzb, I have to kill the process in the system monitor. Everything I tried other than that gives me an error

Couldn't listen on any:8760: (98, 'Address already in use').
Exiting: FatalError'>: Cannot bind to XML RPC port, is another hellanzb queue daemon already running?

Do I have something configured wrong?
Also, I tried accessing hellanzb using the address in the conf file, using firefox on my windows machine, changing the address appropriately (not shown here) as stated, like http://hellanzb:myusername@mydomain:8760
and I get a pop up dialog asking for username and password. I tried it with a password, without a password, the password in the conf file, the user's actual password in ubuntu, and the dialog just reappears after I click OK. If I cancel, I get ACCESS DENIED.

Sorry for the long winded cry for help. I've googled this XML-RPC thing for months with no success.

EDIT: It's magic. Almost every time I give up and post for some help, a solution comes around. I tried out Zussaweb and everything I wanted to do is possible now. The code is a great tutorial to study too, if you're into PHP. I made some changes for myself to show free space on the two drives as a percentage and in gigs, added a few other things I wanted, but it's really neat how you can talk to hellanzb using the XMLRPC server. >hop<

Octagonal
October 8th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Great post, thank you for the information.
Works like a dream.

cchester
October 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I tried out Zussaweb and everything I wanted to do is possible now. The code is a great tutorial to study too, if you're into PHP. I made some changes for myself to show free space on the two drives as a percentage and in gigs, added a few other things I wanted, but it's really neat how you can talk to hellanzb using the XMLRPC server. >hop<

Hi,

Could you give me a step by step on how you installed Zussaweb. I have tried everything with zero luck in getting it to run I guess I just don't get how to make it work. I have Hellanzb working I just need something like Zissaweb to be completely happy.

Thanks for any help.

GoatTuber
October 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks for your post. I tried it and i managed to map my share as a local drive. But there's one problem. I can't upload a nzb file from Zussaweb. It complains about chmod rights. As root i can add and delete files to the share, i can also do that as a normal user. But when i try uploading a file via Zussaweb (that runs on my apache server) it doesn't work. I can't chmod or chgrp anything. When i do this via the GUI it just changes back to the old setting. It's strange, because it says at permission for others: read and write.

:-k

If you have read/write access to the directory the nzb files are going to, but not on the nzb files themselves when they're received, you might be able to get it working by setting the default permissions with a umask. See http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/117255/161/ for more info.

GoatTuber
October 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
But when I want to stop using hellanzb, I have to kill the process in the system monitor. Everything I tried other than that gives me an error

Exiting: FatalError'>: Cannot bind to XML RPC port, is another hellanzb queue daemon already running?

Do you get that error message if you run "hellanzb shutdown" in a terminal window? What else have you tried?

cchester
October 12th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I get no errors when shutting down.

I fixed it by placing the folder i extracted zussaweb to /var/www/ and then everything was ok.

The only error I have now is it says line 4 error disk space.

Thanks for the reply and if anyone knows how to fix the above error let me know please. It isn't making it not download but I would like to be error free.

Thanks again.

dasbooter
October 15th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Can you please elaborate on this as when I enter screen -S hellanzb -d -m hellanzb into the terminal, nothing happens.

Also, with the version from repositories, the older one there is no SSL encryption and this sucks.

Uhmm yes I would also like to know what the advantage of running this with screen -S is.
I have done a man screen but I cant figure it out. Also option -m I dont see it with man hellanzb (0.10)
Also I am wondering, can we just run a little startup script in gnome sessions. I am not in a situation where multiple users use the daemon. It would be nice to have some graphical feedback besides the console just for download progress, is there something simple that exists I dont use conqe but do use gkrellm. Just throwing that last question out there. By the way all seems to be running nicely here with the version from the repos. Par and rar running fine so far.The files are being downloaded to a local folder located on a raid.

Hopworks
October 16th, 2007, 06:10 AM
I get no errors when shutting down.

I fixed it by placing the folder i extracted zussaweb to /var/www/ and then everything was ok.

The only error I have now is it says line 4 error disk space.

Thanks for the reply and if anyone knows how to fix the above error let me know please. It isn't making it not download but I would like to be error free.

Thanks again.
What php file throws the error? I completely rewrote the disk space reporting in my copy.
Sorry I didn't answer you about accessing the web gui before, I just read your question. It seems you figured it out though, nice work. =)

Dedors
October 16th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Updated init script

now supports starting of hellahella
layout was done according to other init scripts

#! /bin/bash
#
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: hellanzb, hellahella
# Required-Start: $network $local_fs
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Usenet Binary Downloader
### END INIT INFO
#
# hellanzb Start the hellanzb and hellahella
#
# hellanzb init-script v0.6 dedicated
#
# the following vars are used:
# NAME= leave it to hellanzb, its just a display name and it is used to connect to it with screen
# USERNAME= your username, this is used to run hellanzb in
# *_PIDFILE= the pid file which the script checks
# WEBIF_ENABLED if you are running hellahella and want this to start with hellanzb
#

NAME=hellanzb
NAMEWEB=hellahella
USERNAME=dedi
HELLAHELLA_PIDFILE=/var/run/hellahella.pid
WEBIF_ENABLED=1
HELLANZB_BIN=/usr/bin/hellanzb
HELLAHELLA_INI=/opt/hellahella/hella.ini
DESC="Binary Usenet Download Services:"

trap "" 1
export LANG=C

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

case "$1" in
start)
log_action_msg "Starting $DESC"

log_daemon_msg " Starting $NAME.."
if start-stop-daemon -S -c $USERNAME -m -b --pidfile $HELLANZB_PIDFILE --exec /usr/bin/screen -- -S $NAME -D -m $HELLANZB_BIN; then
log_end_msg 0
else
log_end_msg 1
fi
if test "$WEBIF_ENABLED" != "0"; then
log_daemon_msg " Starting $NAMEWEB.."
if start-stop-daemon -S -c $USERNAME -m -b --pidfile $HELLAHELLA_PIDFILE --exec /usr/bin/screen -- -S $NAMEWEB -D -m paster serve $HELLAHELLA_INI; then
log_end_msg 0
else
log_end_msg 1
fi
fi
;;

stop)
log_action_msg "Stopping $DESC"
log_daemon_msg " Stopping $NAME.."
if start-stop-daemon -K --pidfile $HELLANZB_PIDFILE; then
log_end_msg 0
else
log_end_msg 1
fi
if test "$WEBIF_ENABLED" != "0"; then
log_daemon_msg " Stopping $NAMEWEB.."
if start-stop-daemon -K --pidfile $HELLAHELLA_PIDFILE; then
log_end_msg 0
else
log_end_msg 1
fi
fi
;;

restart)
$0 stop
$0 start
;;
*)
exit 1
;;
esac

exit 0

remember:

ln -s /etc/init.d/hellanzb /etc/rc2.d/S20hellanzb
ln -s /etc/init.d/hellanzb /etc/rc3.d/S20hellanzb
ln -s /etc/init.d/hellanzb /etc/rc4.d/S20hellanzb
ln -s /etc/init.d/hellanzb /etc/rc5.d/S20hellanzb

screen -R hellanzb

leave it with

ctrl-a d

TuxCrafter
October 22nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
So took me a while to fix some issues, but here it is: The Gusty Gibbon Hellanzb NZB downloader installation script. Please let me know if you got any feedback. :KS

frolle
October 23rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
Its very strange. When i am downloading with hellanzb its lagging. It seems like sometimes its eating my cpu. Does anyone have the same problem?

cchester
October 23rd, 2007, 04:42 PM
So took me a while to fix some issues, but here it is: The Gusty Gibbon Hellanzb NZB downloader installation script. Please let me know if you got any feedback. :KS

Ok a couple of questiions:

On option 3 I put in the info but I can't find a way to save it and exit the screen. How do I do that.

Then on option 4 I chose to install hellanzb again. (why are we needing to do this first since we do it in option 1 from the repositories?)

Then on option 5 remove hellanzb from the system I did this. Also are you having the user do this because we installed it again in option 4 and we are now removing the one that installed from the repositories?

I am a little confused. So do we need to do just 1 - 3 and we are done and can run hellanzb or is option 4 for those who don't want to install it from the repositories only.

Just need a little clarifying. I installed this in Ubuntu 7.10 by the way and didn't notice any errors during the install process.

A note : just tried to run if after doing all the options and it came back and said it isn't installed and I can install it from the repositories.

Thanks for any help on this script that you created it is great.:)

TuxCrafter
October 23rd, 2007, 04:54 PM
Ok a couple of questiions:

On option 3 I put in the info but I can't find a way to save it and exit the screen. How do I do that.

Then on option 4 I chose to install hellanzb again. (why are we needing to do this first since we do it in option 1 from the repositories?)

Then on option 5 remove hellanzb from the system I did this. Also are you having the user do this because we installed it again in option 4 and we are now removing the one that installed from the repositories?

I am a little confused. So do we need to do just 1 - 3 and we are done and can run hellanzb or is option 4 for those who don't want to install it from the repositories only.

Just need a little clarifying. I installed this in Ubuntu 7.10 by the way and didn't notice any errors during the install process.

A note : just tried to run if after doing all the options and it came back and said it isn't installed and I can install it from the repositories.

Thanks for any help on this script that you created it is great.:)

So a lot of questions:

First: The recommended install is to do step 1 to 3

Second: The script uses the default installed vim editor to edit the personal configuration file. If you don't know how to use vim. You can search the script for "vim" and replace it with an other editor like "gedit".

Third: Option 4 and 5 are for manually compiled versions of hellanzb. This way you can be sure you have the latest version. Note that the personal configuration does not work the same with these options.

Maybe if you change the editor to gedit and re run the script with option 1 -> 2 -> 3. It will work fine.

Thanks for the feedback, hope to here form you soon.

cchester
October 23rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find the place in the script to change it to gedit. I saw the word vim and changed that to gedit but that didn't work.

So if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.:)

Ok so kill me it was more than a couple of questions. Just started to think of more as I typed.

Also I get no write access error for the ./hellanzb directory if you could help me on that too.

Thanks again.

marklid
October 23rd, 2007, 09:01 PM

Worked an absolute treat !! Cheers pal !

cwhisperer
October 23rd, 2007, 10:04 PM
the last dist file on http://www.hellanzb.com/distfiles/ 0.13 works like expected on ubuntu 7.10 ;)

TuxCrafter
October 23rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
At special request cchester a new version for the hellanzb script with automatic GUI file editor detection and enhanced hellanzb removal.

The Gusty Gibbon Hellanzb NZB downloader installation script
version: 0.0.8
date: 23-10-07

If you encounter permission problems due to previous attempt to install hellanzb. Run the script with option 5 and you should have a clean machine to reinstall hellanzb.

Feedback is again welcome.

cchester
October 24th, 2007, 07:28 AM
At special request cchester a new version for the hellanzb script with automatic GUI file editor detection and enhanced hellanzb removal.

The Gusty Gibbon Hellanzb NZB downloader installation script
version: 0.0.8
date: 23-10-07

If you encounter permission problems due to previous attempt to install hellanzb. Run the script with option 5 and you should have a clean machine to reinstall hellanzb.

Feedback is again welcome.

Thanks so much you are the best. Still had a permission problem even after uninstalling and reinstalling. Hellanzb complained and said I didn't have permission but I fixed that. Great script.

Think you could please get the one to install SABnzbd-0.2.4 correctly working as well that way people can have a GUI for Hellanzb to go along with it or is that asking too much.:)

I ask because the one that is there seems to have problems with Ubuntu 7.10 when you get to this part:

tar -xzvf CherryPy-2.2.1.tar.gz
cd CherryPy-2.2.1
/usr/local/sabnzbd/bin/python setup.py install

I think I recall it saying something like invalid command cannot run or something like that.

If not you are great still and I thank you.:)

TuxCrafter
October 24th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Think you could please get the one to install SABnzbd-0.2.4 correctly working as well that way people can have a GUI for Hellanzb to go along with it or is that asking too much.:).

I peronaly don't have a need for SABnzbd, i think its a bid ugly. I do have request and ideas to make a script for Zussaweb. However this tools needs a complete apache configuration to work. http://sourceforge.net/projects/zussaweb

Currently I use 4 separated scripts to integrate hellanzb in my complete desktop environment. I can right click on a nzb file and choice to start downloading. Then I have script to control the rest like par2 unrar pyton pause continue shutdown etcetera. I also have script that give me automatic configuration options so I can easily change the the download location to a usb harddisk. GUI or webpage isn't really necessary. But for remote control of hellanzb it will be great.

frolle
October 24th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Anyone having problems when you reset the max speed for download? When i do that it just tops completly. Any ideas?

cchester
October 24th, 2007, 04:52 PM

I peronaly don't have a need for SABnzbd, i think its a bid ugly. I do have request and ideas to make a script for Zussaweb. However this tools needs a complete apache configuration to work. http://sourceforge.net/projects/zussaweb

Currently I use 4 separated scripts to integrate hellanzb in my complete desktop environment. I can right click on a nzb file and choice to start downloading. Then I have script to control the rest like par2 unrar pyton pause continue shutdown etcetera. I also have script that give me automatic configuration options so I can easily change the the download location to a usb harddisk. GUI or webpage isn't really necessary. But for remote control of hellanzb it will be great.

Yeah I don't mind the command line for Hellanzb that much either. Would love to have those 4 scripts that you use would pretty much end my need or want for a Gui.

I forgot about Zussawed that would be great too.

Thanks for the reply.

Malik
October 24th, 2007, 10:36 PM
How do you restar hella? its stuck on queue mode :(

frolle
October 25th, 2007, 07:56 AM
You just open and close it - if you want to restart hellanzb.

vangos
October 25th, 2007, 08:07 PM
First, many thanks for all your work. From the first looks it seems that it works fine..

I have two questions:

1. How do you remove a .NZB file out of the queue so it is not considered any more for download? Is it it enough to physically remove it from the folder?

2. During my initial attempt to install the program I used the instructions in the beginning of the thread. Then by reading on I realized that not only the program is now at 0.13 version, but there is a script that does everything for you. When I tried to uninstall the 0.9 version that I had manually installed, with the assistance of the script, I saw that it did not uninstall it. I went ahead and used the script 3 times as recommended, fixed the .config file, and now it looks that everything is working fine ( I am downloading away as we speak). Is there any way I can safely remove the old version? I am afraid I will mess up the current installation.

Thanks

Vangelis

TuxCrafter
October 26th, 2007, 11:22 AM
First, many thanks for all your work. From the first looks it seems that it works fine..

I have two questions:

1. How do you remove a .NZB file out of the queue so it is not considered any more for download? Is it it enough to physically remove it from the folder?

2. During my initial attempt to install the program I used the instructions in the beginning of the thread. Then by reading on I realized that not only the program is now at 0.13 version, but there is a script that does everything for you. When I tried to uninstall the 0.9 version that I had manually installed, with the assistance of the script, I saw that it did not uninstall it. I went ahead and used the script 3 times as recommended, fixed the .config file, and now it looks that everything is working fine ( I am downloading away as we speak). Is there any way I can safely remove the old version? I am afraid I will mess up the current installation.

Thanks

Vangelis

1. see hellanzb --help

hellanzb clear
Clear the current nzb queue. Specify True as the second argument to clear anything currently downloading as well (like the cancel call)

hellanzb dequeue nzbid
Remove the NZB with specified ID from the queue

2. Do not try to remove it it will mess up your current working system.

TuxCrafter
October 26th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I created a new topic so i can provide better support in the further with hellanzb. As told earlier i got a bunch of script to integrate hallanzb into the desktop environment and I am working up to a release of this system.

HOW TO: Installation of hellanzb NZB usenet downloader
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=589618

-- -- --

HOW TO: Compiling and Installing the OpenChrome Graphical VIA Driver
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=485646

HOW TO: Installation of the SCR335 smartcard reader
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=589625

HOW TO: Installation of lib-xine based multimedia codecs
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=589655

HOW TO: Installation of a complete vmware server setup
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=589638

HOW TO: Setting up xfce xft font rendering settings
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=589593

HOW TO: Setting up xorg LCD 96 DPI native monitor settings
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=589574

Mithrilhall
October 26th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Anyone know of a Superkaramba theme that displays hellanzb info like; files in queue, currently downloading, etc. or should I start writing one?

TuxCrafter
October 26th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Anyone know of a Superkaramba theme that displays hellanzb info like; files in queue, currently downloading, etc. or should I start writing one?

Nope not that i know of ...

vangos
October 27th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks TuxCrafter for the help. I did not realize that there is so much built-in help in the program.

I will most definitely not touch the other version installation.

Vangos

goonies
October 27th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Found new nzb: whatiwantedtodownload - Season 1 [DVD 1_5]
[-] Unhandled Error
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/Daemon.py", line 114, in initDaemon
startNZBLeecher()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/NZBLeecher/__init__.py", line 262, in startNZBLeecher
reactor.run()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/internet/posixbase.py", line 220, in run
self.mainLoop()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/internet/posixbase.py", line 228, in mainLoop
self.runUntilCurrent()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/internet/base.py", line 561, in runUntilCurrent
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/NZBQueue.py", line 204, in scanQueueDir
move(nzbfile, Hellanzb.CURRENT_DIR)
File "shutil.py", line 199, in move
copy2(src,dst)
File "shutil.py", line 92, in copy2
copystat(src, dst)
File "shutil.py", line 67, in copystat
os.utime(dst, (st.st_atime, st.st_mtime))
exceptions.OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/media/library/usenet/nzb/daemon.current/whatiwantedtodownload - Season 1 [DVD 1_5].nzb'

Can someone tell me whats going on here? It eventually works when I close out hellanzb and restart it. But then when it is time for hellanzb to move the processed files over to my complete folder it gives a similar error and tries to redownload the already done nzb. What gives?

TuxCrafter
October 27th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Can someone tell me whats going on here? It eventually works when I close out hellanzb and restart it. But then when it is time for hellanzb to move the processed files over to my complete folder it gives a similar error and tries to redownload the already done nzb. What gives?

Maybe rename the original nzb file to a very simple save name like simple.nzb and download things again. Maybe it works please let us know.

goonies
October 28th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Found new nzb: wire
[-] Unhandled Error
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/Daemon.py", line 114, in initDaemon
startNZBLeecher()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/NZBLeecher/__init__.py", line 262, in startNZBLeecher
reactor.run()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/internet/posixbase.py", line 220, in run
self.mainLoop()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/internet/posixbase.py", line 228, in mainLoop
self.runUntilCurrent()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/internet/base.py", line 561, in runUntilCurrent
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Hellanzb/NZBQueue.py", line 204, in scanQueueDir
copy2(src,dst)
copystat(src, dst)
exceptions.OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/media/library/usenet/nzb/daemon.current/wire.nzb'

Again =\ I've never had this problem before on Feisty with the same version of hellanzb.

mangurt
October 28th, 2007, 10:55 PM
wow, does my brain ever hurt....

Ok, I have been trying to follow this thread to get hellanbz. I think I followed the stuff on the first page and can only get to step 4 (unpack hellanbz) when I get this error

tar: hellanzb-0.9.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

I am rather new at the whole linux thing, and love, love, LOVE newsgroups, and would love to get this going....

I saw on the last page that there was a shell post, and I downloaded that, but have no clue on what to do with it, how to open it, ect...and when I went to the page, it said that it was moved...so I am not lost with that.

Thanks for the help

TuxCrafter
October 29th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Operation not permitted

Are you sure you have correct permissions on all files and locations?

TuxCrafter
October 29th, 2007, 09:35 AM
wow, does my brain ever hurt....

Thanks for the help

>>> http://tinyurl.com/ywvtcw

dasbooter
October 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Is anybody out there using hellanzb with a rss reader to automatically filter and download certain nzb's into the download queue folder? I have had a couple of runs at it and so far no luck. With hellas already excellent automation it only seems like the most likely next step. Thanks for reading ... interested to hear your solutions

TuxCrafter
October 29th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Is anybody out there using hellanzb with a rss reader to automatically filter and download certain nzb's into the download queue folder? I have had a couple of runs at it and so far no luck. With hellas already excellent automation it only seems like the most likely next step. Thanks for reading ... interested to hear your solutions

hmm never tried it, also no personal need to do so on this moment. looks interesting though.

dasbooter
October 30th, 2007, 06:18 AM
hmm never tried it, also no personal need to do so on this moment. looks interesting though.

Here is my scenario. RSS akregator watches feed according to filter I have set and downloads nzb files of a high defintion show I like to watch to the Hellanzb queue folder.Hellanzb does the rest and puts the finished product in a folder that I share out for my xbox 360. Bing turn on the xbox 360 and the TV and episode almost magically appears to watch thanks to Hellanzb.

Hella Yeah :guitar:

mangurt
November 1st, 2007, 01:05 AM
Ok, my head is still hurting....I feel like I am so clueless right now...

I followed the link to get the hellanbz.sh file, but I still don't know what to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

goonies
November 3rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Found new nzb: wire
[-] Unhandled Error
startNZBLeecher()
reactor.run()
self.mainLoop()
self.runUntilCurrent()
copy2(src,dst)
copystat(src, dst)
exceptions.OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/media/library/usenet/nzb/daemon.current/wire.nzb'

Again =\ I've never had this problem before on Feisty with the same version of hellanzb.

Anyone?

chalewa
November 4th, 2007, 11:06 PM
still have never been able to get this thing to unrar what it downloads. i love the program, but the unrar feature would really solidify it for me.

any ideas on what i could be missing?

Mithrilhall
November 5th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Download rar and par2 via adept or apt-get and make sure your hellanzb.conf file looks like so...

Hellanzb.SMART_PAR = True

Hellanzb.UNRAR_CMD = '/usr/bin/rar'

P.S.

Can someone tell me what I need to get libnotify working? I had it working in the past and I can't remember what files I needed to get it working (besides libnotify and python-notify).

benfindlay
November 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Hey guys, not sure if this precise error has been posted somewhere else in this thread, as there are quite a lot of very similar errors. Anyway, I'm trying to get hellanzb to work on my friend's 7.10 server (it works fine on my 6.06 server). I keep getting the following error when I launch it:

user1@server:~$ hellanzb.py
user1@server:~$

Has anyone had this error, or can anyone suggest a way to fix it?

Cheers
Ben

kd7swh
November 17th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Ben,

I had a similar problem on one of my boxes. I made a set of folders and changed the config file, and it works like a charm again. I don't know why.

Best of Luck,

Jon

downhillgames
November 18th, 2007, 01:20 AM
I'm not going to read 25 pages to say this...

I just use nzb, pypar2 and 7zip... apt-get install nzb pypar2 p7zip

just like grabit, quickpar and 7zip in windows. (cept it doesn't auto-unrar, but that's ok. I'm not _That_ lazy ;))

kd7swh
November 18th, 2007, 03:27 AM
this howto is really out of date anyway. hellanzb in in the repos. now. I should write a New HowTo: and include a webUI and C Yenc, but I don't have time right now. Maybe for Christmas.

Hopworks
November 19th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I'm here at my laptop this morning, learning how to write a webUI for Hellanzb using XML-RPC, and I figured out how to get a list of methods, descriptions, and signatures from hellanzb on my Feisty server. I'm using hellanzb version 0.12

I'm going through that list and there is one weird method listed called aolsay.

snippet from a list of all the methods generated by a simple test.php page on my server...
[system.methodList] aolsay
[system.methodHelp] Return a random aolsay (from Da5id's aolsay.scr)
[system.methodSignature] [string]

I gotta ask, what in the world is the point of that method? I'd post a couple of text lines it returns, but I'd probably get banned. It's some of the nastiest script-kiddy I ever read. :rolleyes:

Check it out. What is it anyway? An Easter Egg? :D

It doesn't matter to me really, just curious. I love hellanzb. I can't remember the last time I looked at a windows based NNTP client. Thank you!

joecrappa
November 21st, 2007, 09:46 AM
Hi all, new to the ubuntu forums.

Just installed Gutsy last night and I'm trying to get hellanzb working. I've downloaded the hellanzb.ph installer and ran it to try and fix my issue to no avail. Here is my error:

hellanzb v0.13 (config = /usr/etc/hellanzb.conf, C yenc module)

I get this error when I "sudo hellanzb.py"

it created the folders but will not run, I hope someone can give me an answer,

Thanks in advance

Hopworks
November 21st, 2007, 09:28 PM
It's probably out there a little, and not your problem's solution, but I always get that error, the last part anyway when hellanzb is already running. Did you look at your processes to see if it is running already?
System/Administration/System Monitor (Processes tab)

Hop

P.S. Welcome to the forums and the community! I hope you find them as incredibly helpful as I have so far. :D

mikebeecham
November 22nd, 2007, 02:00 AM
hi there...

I have followed the instructions to the letter, but when I enter hellanzb.py, I get this:

Help?

benfindlay
November 22nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
hi there...

I have followed the instructions to the letter, but when I enter hellanzb.py, I get this:

Help?

Hi Mike, I get the exact same error, and there seems to be no solution known for it. Your best bet is to use nzb, pypar2 and p7zip which you can install with

apt-get install nzb pypar2 p7zip

nzb uses a gui as opposed to the terminal

Hope this helps!

TuxCrafter
November 22nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
please use the script in the hellanzb topic that can be found in my signature, this should work fine. If you have hellanzb installed remove it first. (this can be done with the script)