PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Daily news

turtle153
March 1st, 2011, 01:53 AM
I'm starting a blog at http://ubuntudaily.blogspot.com/ It's aimed at people new to Ubuntu who are looking for applications and simple ways of changing it to meet their needs. It's my first blog, so if you have any suggestions of links to how-tos I could create/utilize It will be really helpful!

mimor
March 1st, 2011, 03:49 PM
The thought is nice.
But if you want to post daily, you'll find yourself forced to write about stuff without being informed enoug or just not feeling like it.
That'll be a little drawback.
If you write about interesting stuff, you can add your blogg to the ubuntu planet.

DMGrier
March 1st, 2011, 03:54 PM
Sounds great.

turtle153
March 1st, 2011, 08:43 PM
@mimor - I'll try to get a daily post, so I'm always open to suggestions for when I run out of ideas.

mimor
March 2nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
First thing to keep in mind is to keep it fun.
Don't force yourself to write on a daily basis...
Take your time to figure something out and then wirte an awesome post about it that is complete...

Tristam Green
March 2nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
@mimor - I'll try to get a daily post, so I'm always open to suggestions for when I run out of ideas.

This statement reminds me of an episode of "King of the Hill" where Dale Gribble decides to start running a conspiracy-theorist-centric, no-music ham radio station from his basement, all by himself. By about the third week, he had changed his format gradually to include silly contests and even began playing easy listening music, until he ultimately leased the space out to a Mexican man who just re-played an existing Mexican radio station over his own radio equipment by putting a radio up to the mic.

mimor
March 2nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
This statement reminds me of an episode of "King of the Hill" where Dale Gribble decides to start running a conspiracy-theorist-centric, no-music ham radio station from his basement, all by himself. By about the third week, he had changed his format gradually to include silly contests and even began playing easy listening music, until he ultimately leased the space out to a Mexican man who just re-played an existing Mexican radio station over his own radio equipment by putting a radio up to the mic.

:popcorn: That's a fine one there...

turtle153
March 3rd, 2011, 12:39 AM
@Tristam Green - Hehe, I'll try to steer clear of any of that!

3rdalbum
March 3rd, 2011, 03:36 AM
You'd probably have a hard time competing with OMG! Ubuntu!. Have you looked at that site?

turtle153
March 3rd, 2011, 10:37 PM
I've seen OMG! Ubuntu! but that focuses on more technical stuff generally. I'll be helping out beginners.

If you can, please follow the blog :D

rg4w
March 4th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I've seen OMG! Ubuntu! but that focuses on more technical stuff generally. I'll be helping out beginners.
I gotta believe the Ubuntu world is big enough for many excellent sites. I read OMGUBuntu often, and have started reading yours as well. Looks like it's off to a nice start. Congrats on getting it going, and thanks for adding more useful content to the Ubuntu net presence.

Will you be reviewing Oil Rush? Man, that thing looks gorgeous. I'm having to put off buying it until the weekend because I know it'll kill my productivity the moment it's installed. :)

turtle153
March 4th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Those graphics do look gorgeous don't they :D If it has a multiplayer I will probably buy it and write a review, cos I'm a sucker for online play xD

turtle153
March 5th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I bought Oil rush today! :D It's only the pre-release but that's still great!

turtle153
March 8th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Oilrush review coming up in the next week or so. I'll probably do Minecraft and Nexuiz sometime this month too. The latest post is a cool new homepage I made over the weekend, I reckon most people will like it :)

mimor
March 8th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Minecraft would be awesome :)
If possible, together with eclipse ;) :popcorn:

marl30
March 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Your blog will do just fine if you keep coming up with stuff that people are always looking for. For instance, reviews of obscure applications with features not a lot of people knew about. How to configure stuff. Cool little tips and tricks. You can't go wrong with that.

Lucradia
March 8th, 2011, 03:38 PM
How about telling us how to get the icons back in the system menu on the newest version of Ubuntu? The appearance Control Panel no longer has that option.

turtle153
March 8th, 2011, 09:30 PM
@mimor - yup, I'll do a Minecraft review soon as well

@marl30 - Check out todays update, its got a load of Firefox tips

@Lucradia - Which menu is this? Can you post a screenshot and I'll see what I can do.

svenofix
March 9th, 2011, 12:18 AM
@Lucradia - Which menu is this? Can you post a screenshot and I'll see what I can do.[/QUOTE]

I believe he means the Main Menu (with Applications/Places/System), the icons are missing from all the System items. This can actually be easily remedied through Ubuntu Tweak under Gnome Settings, there's an option to checkmark a box for Show Icons In Menus.

edit: Awesome blog by the way! I'm a 3+ year Ubuntu user, but I always enjoy reading tips and tricks so you're blog is definitely going on my RSS Feed. =D

turtle153
March 9th, 2011, 12:27 AM
That's strange, I've got the icons in mine. I will probably do an article on Ubuntu Tweak at some point as it is a good app for customization.

Thanks for subscribing too :)

Lucradia
March 9th, 2011, 01:46 AM
That's strange, I've got the icons in mine. I will probably do an article on Ubuntu Tweak at some point as it is a good app for customization.

Do you use Unity by any chance? If so, that's the problem; and by default, the icons aren't there:

http://i.imgur.com/RoJQB.png

turtle153
March 9th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Nope, I use standard Gnome. I haven't seen much of Unity, so I'll get the Natty beta when it's released and look at it.

Edit: My menu looks like that too actually. I will look more tomorrow (today?) though, it's 1AM here :0

svenofix
March 9th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Nope, I use standard Gnome. I haven't seen much of Unity, so I'll get the Natty beta when it's released and look at it.

Edit: My menu looks like that too actually. I will look more tomorrow (today?) though, it's 1AM here :0

Same here. Started doing that on Ubuntu 10.04 for me, but as I said Ubuntu Tweak does it for me. I'm sure it's possible to do it via gconf-editor, haven't looked into it yet.

turtle153
March 9th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Done a post on Ubuntu Tweak http://ubuntudaily.blogspot.com/2011/03/ubuntu-tweak-easy-way-to-customise.html for people wondering what it is/does.

marl30
March 9th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Done a post on Ubuntu Tweak http://ubuntudaily.blogspot.com/2011/03/ubuntu-tweak-easy-way-to-customise.html for people wondering what it is/does.

Cool, this will help someone who has never fooled around Ubuntu Tweak.

Hey, I found a great solution on your blog on how to get my microphone working while my sound is set to 5.1 surround sound. Well, your tip was for people with on board sound and sound card. I enabled the on board one and connect my microphone to it while using my sound card for out put. Now I no longer have to switch to dual speakers whenever I want to use my mic. Thanks. It was the tip on your blog that gave me this idea. :)

turtle153
March 10th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Hey, I found a great solution on your blog on how to get my microphone working while my sound is set to 5.1 surround sound. Well, your tip was for people with on board sound and sound card. I enabled the on board one and connect my microphone to it while using my sound card for out put. Now I no longer have to switch to dual speakers whenever I want to use my mic. Thanks. It was the tip on your blog that gave me this idea. :)

Glad it helped :D

Anyone got suggestions for tomorrows post? If not I'll either review Oil rush or Alarm Clock

marl30
March 10th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Glad it helped :D

Anyone got suggestions for tomorrows post? If not I'll either review Oil rush or Alarm Clock

How about doing a top ten or five Openoffice/Libreoffice useful extensions? Since many new users aren't aware that they can add more functionality to their office suite with extensions.

turtle153
March 10th, 2011, 10:10 PM
How about doing a top ten or five Openoffice/Libreoffice useful extensions? Since many new users aren't aware that they can add more functionality to their office suite with extensions.

I didn't have much time today so I only did 2 extensions. It's more to point out that you can use them, not what to use.

turtle153
March 13th, 2011, 08:06 PM
A bit of the delay over the weekend, so the Oil Rush review is going to be on Monday.

turtle153
March 15th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Oil Rush review up; please comment :) My birthday today so perhaps something themed for that. Il'll decide later.