PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Help Terminal!!!!!!

omnom
February 28th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Well I am new to the Ubuntu and the Linux Oses so I need some help....

I open the Terminal and I have already made a script, but I can't run it!!!! I am in the directory the script is and I can't open it!!!! :(
that's what I wrote in the script:

#!bin/bash
cd Programmes
mkdir OmNom

Then I save it and open the terminal. I find It at the directory I saved it BUT can't R U N it!!!!!:(

Please help me!!!!!!!!!:-?:cry:8-[:neutral:

Frogs Hair
February 28th, 2011, 11:07 PM
There are other ways , but I learned from here. http://linuxcommand.org/wss0010.php

mikewhatever
February 28th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Can't run is a vague statement, unless you actually tell why not.

lucasart
February 28th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Well I am new to the Ubuntu and the Linux Oses so I need some help....

I open the Terminal and I have already made a script, but I can't run it!!!! I am in the directory the script is and I can't open it!!!! :(
that's what I wrote in the script:

#!bin/bash
cd Programmes
mkdir OmNom

Then I save it and open the terminal. I find It at the directory I saved it BUT can't R U N it!!!!!:(

Please help me!!!!!!!!!:-?:cry:8-[:neutral:

chmod +x ./file.sh
./file.sh

if you're a linux beginner, then perhaps shell scripting isn't for you just yet. But once you understand more about the system (read the ubuntu manual), you should look at bash guides on internet.

sandyd
February 28th, 2011, 11:15 PM
chmod +x file.sh
./file.sh

but more generallt if you need to write bash scripts, you'll find bash a very powerful but somewhat more complex than DOS for example. Just google for a bash tutorial and start from there.
fixed.

The Linux Cynic
February 28th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Try setting your script to be executable. You can do this through the nautilus gui (nautilus is the file explorer that Ubuntu comes with). Just right-click the file, select Properties, select the Permissions tab, and check the "Allow executing file as program" check box. Close this menu.

Now, when you double click the file, it should ask if you want to run it or display its contents. Also, in terminal, you can navigate to its location and type:

#> ./yourscriptname.sh

*NOTICE: As others have pointed out, you need the ./ before your script name. I suspect it might be too much to explain to you why this is right now, but once you learn a bit more about bash and terminal, it'll be obvious.*

omnom
March 1st, 2011, 01:51 PM
thanx a lot