PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu runs EXTREMELY slow on my second IDE hard drive.

Enigma*
February 28th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Before I explain the situation, here are the specs for my system:

-Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop
-Intel Celeron 2.4 GHZ processor (single core)
-2 GB of DDR Memory
-One 40 GB IDE hard drive (disk 0, cable default jumper setting) with Windows XP Home Edition.
-One NEW 160 GB IDE hard drive (disk 1, cable default jumper setting) with Kubuntu 10.10.

I want to have both OS' on separate hard drives. Windows XP is working flawlessly on my system with no problems, and the GRUB screen comes up. I can log into Kubuntu without much of a problem. However, the screen goes black on two occasions, consistently (for a split second each).

When I am in the Kubuntu OS, the programs and their graphics (icons, program interfaces, etc.) open and close VERY slowly. In such a a way that the graphics don't disappear at once, like they should, when closing. The graphics seem to disappear gradually.

I've had Kubuntu 10.10 on my laptop (a dual-core) without any problems like this. Keeping in mind that Windows XP works fine, what should I do?

sandyd
February 28th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Before I explain the situation, here are the specs for my system:

-Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop
-Intel Celeron 2.4 GHZ processor (single core)
-2 GB of DDR Memory
-One 40 GB IDE hard drive (disk 0, cable default jumper setting) with Windows XP Home Edition.
-One NEW 160 GB IDE hard drive (disk 1, cable default jumper setting) with Kubuntu 10.10.

I want to have both OS' on separate hard drives. Windows XP is working flawlessly on my system with no problems, and the GRUB screen comes up. I can log into Kubuntu without much of a problem. However, the screen goes black on two occasions, consistently (for a split second each).

When I am in the Kubuntu OS, the programs and their graphics (icons, program interfaces, etc.) open and close VERY slowly. In such a a way that the graphics don't disappear at once, like they should, when closing. The graphics seem to disappear gradually.

I've had Kubuntu 10.10 on my laptop (a dual-core) without any problems like this. Keeping in mind that Windows XP works fine, what should I do?
what graphics card are you using?

Enigma*
February 28th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I believe it's an Intel 82845G Extreme Graphics chip. It's the stock version that came with the computer.

Enigma*
March 2nd, 2011, 10:23 PM
Any ideas?