PDA

View Full Version : How come other people can die in your dreams

ki4jgt
February 28th, 2011, 10:09 PM
So, you know the old adage "If you die in your dreams, you die in real life" My question is, why does your brain allow others to die in your dreams?

Simian Man
February 28th, 2011, 10:20 PM
So, you know the old adage "If you die in your dreams, you die in real life"
No.

My question is, why does your brain allow others to die in your dreams?

Maybe because dreams have no effect on reality?

ki4jgt
February 28th, 2011, 10:23 PM
No.

Maybe because dreams have no effect on reality?

True, but why does your brain let it happen? Even if it has no effect on reality, why does it happen?

NCLI
February 28th, 2011, 10:26 PM
True, but why does your brain let it happen? Even if it has no effect on reality, why does it happen?
Why dreams happen is hard to answer. However, asking why people die in dreams is like asking why anything else happens in a dream. It's nothing special.

Naturally, it does have a meaning, but you'll have to talk to a psychologist if you want to get to the bottom of that.

TeoBigusGeekus
February 28th, 2011, 10:28 PM
One, two, Freddy's coming for you... :twisted:

Habeouscorpus
February 28th, 2011, 10:39 PM
One, two, Freddy's coming for you... :twisted:

AAAGH! NOT FREDDY!!!

My dreams usually involve post-apocalyptic. Think steam punk. (Yes, my unconscious is either awesome or severely damaged.)

sammiev
February 28th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Better to dream of others dying than yourself!!

ticopelp
February 28th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Since dead people can't perceive anything, you might die in your dreams constantly and you'd never know the difference.

It's a very silly urban legend anyway... I mean, it's not like we have lots of people coming back from the dead to tell us a dream killed them.

ki4jgt
February 28th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Since dead people can't perceive anything, you might die in your dreams constantly and you'd never know the difference.

It's a very silly urban legend anyway... I mean, it's not like we have lots of people coming back from the dead to tell us a dream killed them.

Technically, it's true. I mean, consciously, you're still thinking, whether you see yourself die in your dreams or not. If you ever did consciously stop thinking, then you would have the problem of dying in your sleep. So if you want to be technical about it, it CAN be very true indeed.

Although I like the idea of what you said "Dead people can't perceive anything" Maybe that's why we kill people in our dreams, we feel they are no longer perceiving us. :-( anyway, to the response above. I wouldn't leave dream interpretation to a shrink. I know they've been trained, but I think I'll leave the cryptography of my own mind, to the person who made up the algorithm.

NCLI
March 1st, 2011, 12:06 AM
Technically, it's true. I mean, consciously, you're still thinking, whether you see yourself die in your dreams or not. If you ever did consciously stop thinking, then you would have the problem of dying in your sleep. So if you want to be technical about it, it CAN be very true indeed.

Although I like the idea of what you said "Dead people can't perceive anything" Maybe that's why we kill people in our dreams, we feel they are no longer perceiving us. :-( anyway, to the response above. I wouldn't leave dream interpretation to a shrink. I know they've been trained, but I think I'll leave the cryptography of my own mind, to the person who made up the algorithm.

You subconscious made up that algorithm, and you won't be able to analyse it yourself.

It's like saying that you'd prefer to figure out what medicine you need to take on your own, without consulting a physician, because you know your own body best.

ubuntu-freak
March 1st, 2011, 12:06 AM
I was about to say that I've died in a dream before, but that wouldn't have been strictly true. I went off a cliff for some reason, but I woke up before hitting the ground. Tis a bit odd I guess. Maybe our brain doesn't allow us to die in our dreams then.

Hmmm...

TeoBigusGeekus
March 1st, 2011, 12:11 AM
Dreams, I think, come from the subconscious: they are generally related with things that we've experienced.
Since we can't experience death and live to dream about it, I don't think it can be done.
...In other news, why do my dreams always revolve around the opposite sex?

ubuntu-freak
March 1st, 2011, 12:15 AM
Dreams, I think, come from the subconscious: they are generally related with things that we've experienced.
Since we can't experience death and live to dream about it, I don't think it can be done.
...In other news, why do my dreams always revolve around the opposite sex?

Lucky you. My dreams are random and weird. Last one I had was me in pain cos a tooth was coming out in some strange fashion. Years ago I had a dream where I was at work, just working. That was it, just me working and nothing strange happened. Stupid.

pricetech
March 1st, 2011, 12:17 AM
I don't recall anyone ever dying in my dreams.

themusicalduck
March 1st, 2011, 12:25 AM
I've died a few times in dreams. I think most times I dreamt I was being shot or something which is pretty unpleasant. One dream went to the point where all I could see was black and appeared to be more or less dead, I still woke up at the end of it though.

I don't think anyone else has ever died in one of my dreams though.

uRock
March 1st, 2011, 12:31 AM
Nobody dies in your dreams. It is only your imagination.

renkinjutsu
March 1st, 2011, 12:32 AM
I used to eat chips in my dreams :P

The best part? Not having to wash my hands afterwards. (Which is also the worst part because I can't lick my fingers)

ki4jgt
March 1st, 2011, 12:43 AM
You subconscious made up that algorithm, and you won't be able to analyse it yourself.

It's like saying that you'd prefer to figure out what medicine you need to take on your own, without consulting a physician, because you know your own body best.

I've actually done that. It actually did turn out that I knew best. The person the hospital set me up with told me that he had never saw the symptoms I'd had (Except in Girls) Well, I knew I wasn't a girl. . . Or at least I think my genetic makeup is masculine. Anyway, I treated myself. Turns out I had a kidney infection. I've also had this problem with shrinks. The first professional (Doctor) shrink I saw, either was having a very bad day, or had never had a problem in his life (Required to see him for work). After I told him a little of my past, he placed me into what ever category system they have. His diagnosis actually caused me to go into a very bad depression. When I saw another doctor, he told me I was misdianosed and nothing was wrong with me. I'm not going into the problems of my past. This is neither the time, nor the place. Your body makes up those messages for you and you only. Not for someone else who is supposed to interpret them.
No, I do not condemn doctors. In fact, they have helped people understand more about themselves for centuries. We wouldn't even know about vitamins today without them. But at the end of the day, you know what you know, and they know what they know. If you concentrate a little. You can tell what your body is saying to you. The messages your body emits, were meant for YOU! They were NOT meant for your doctor. It wouldn't send them out, if it didn't think you knew what they meant. The problem comes, when people try to cover up the problem with things such as pain killers. They have a purpose (Too much pain can cause problems too) but until you find out what the main problem is, you don't need to take pills just to cover it up. If you don't know what's going on, then you go to the doctor (Never guess around. That causes HUGE problems later.)

Copper Bezel
March 1st, 2011, 12:49 AM
The error logs your software emits, were meant for YOU! They were NOT meant for the devs. The software wouldn't send them out, if it didn't think you knew what they meant.

Yeah, that's cool. Um.

Anyway.

I've died a few times in dreams. I think most times I dreamt I was being shot or something which is pretty unpleasant. One dream went to the point where all I could see was black and appeared to be more or less dead, I still woke up at the end of it though.

I've dreamed I drowned. It wasn't pleasant.

ki4jgt
March 1st, 2011, 12:55 AM
Yeah, that's cool. Um.

Anyway.

I've dreamed I drowned. It wasn't pleasant.

That's right. I like the re-quote. Though the Devs know all about the software, you are required to decide what changes are made. This is why, until surgery or prescription, you can not sue a psychologist or a normal doctor, because legally, they are "just giving you advice" The way I look at that is, if they want that legal protection, then it should actually work both ways. You should still get to decide what your body is saying.

***EDIT: I am actually trolling my own thread and I know it, I just can't stand it when people treat doctors like they know everything which going on and don't give themselves enough credit to figure anything out. I mean, yes they were trained and know more about what is going on, but they don't always know what is going on. My short and simple point is, doctors are educated A LOT and I don't think they purposefully forget anything, but sometimes the education they have takes over the human side of them. It's human nature. Any psychologist or doctor who denies it, is instantly lying. Without the human side, it sometimes becomes very hard, if not impossible to relate to what is actually going on, especially if it is not very common. That is all I am saying.

Austin25
March 1st, 2011, 01:06 AM
You do not die when you die in your dreams because dreams are not limited to rational physics, and therefore you cannot die in your dreams, but your projection of yourself can. I am guessing you found that saying in some movie; they tend to make stuff up for the sake of entertainment.

ki4jgt
March 1st, 2011, 01:21 AM
You do not die when you die in your dreams because dreams are not limited to rational physics, and therefore you cannot die in your dreams, but your projection of yourself can. I am guessing you found that saying in some movie; they tend to make stuff up for the sake of entertainment.

Nah, it's an actual "urban legend" here in the states. I've heard it all my life.

forrestcupp
March 1st, 2011, 03:46 AM
So, you know the old adage "If you die in your dreams, you die in real life"I had a dream that I was flying and I woke up really flying. Then because I woke up, I wasn't able to fly anymore so I fell.

Good point. We don't really have any testimonials of people who have experienced dying from having a dream about dying, so how could we know if it's true?

NightwishFan
March 1st, 2011, 04:08 AM
My dreams usually involve post-apocalyptic. Think steam punk. (Yes, my unconscious is either awesome or severely damaged.)

I can actually confirm this. I had a lengthy dream and actually am writing a short story about it. Basically, it was post apocalyptic, the sun gave out deadly radiation (heat), which means during the day side of earth, it is impossible to go out into the sun. The oceans rose some, destroying most coastal cities. I did not seem to see it in first person, more like a narrator. I followed the adventures of a few survivors, whom discovered ways to keep alive and had at at times find really clever dangerous ways to move in daylight. They also had to contend with bands of not so nice survivors (raiders, who roamed at night). It ended with a strange scene involving them in a hospital with bio suits, and the dream was fading by then so I did not remember why they were there, only that it was very creepy.

Khakilang
March 1st, 2011, 04:17 AM
My cousin sister's husband die in his sleep. But I couldn't tell whether he die in his dream and according to the doctor he die of heart attack. But sometime the dream I experience seem real until I try not to sleep for a few nights afraid something might happen to me when I sleep.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
March 1st, 2011, 04:24 AM
My cousin sister's husband die in his sleep. But I couldn't tell whether he die in his dream and according to the doctor he die of heart attack. But sometime the dream I experience seem real until I try not to sleep for a few nights afraid something might happen to me when I sleep.

I can see how a dream could scare you into having a heart attack. You probably wouldn't die from dying in your dream, but you might die because you panicked BECAUSE of your dream.

When I say dream I mean nightmare of course.

psusi
March 1st, 2011, 04:45 AM
You can not die in a dream because the human brain has no means of comprehending death. You can not imagine what not existing feels like because EVERYTHING you can comprehend uses existence as a frame of reference. This is why religions exist; to comprehend death by denying its existence by redefining it as something else.

You know what it is like to see other people die, so there is no reason you can't dream about it.

sammiev
March 1st, 2011, 05:08 AM
You can die in your dreams. I had a red head, a blond and so on... I died and went to heaven over and over again. Guess I don't share then. hehe :popcorn:

NMFTM
March 1st, 2011, 02:56 PM
Somewhat relevant (http://i.imgur.com/4ZyaE.jpg)