PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox 4 Question

teejay17
February 28th, 2011, 09:40 PM
If I install beta 12 via PPA, will it eventually update to RC, then final automatically? Is it better to download Firefox 4 from the website and install it that way?
I use both Maverick and Lucid on my machines.

sikander3786
February 28th, 2011, 09:44 PM
It is better to install any software from the repositories/PPAs as you receive automatic updates and yes it would keep on upgrading beta > RC > Stable > ....

Sometimes, some testing PPAs cause instability to the system but nothing to worry much about though.

teejay17
February 28th, 2011, 10:12 PM
It is better to install any software from the repositories/PPAs as you receive automatic updates and yes it would keep on upgrading beta > RC > Stable > ....

Sometimes, some testing PPAs cause instability to the system but nothing to worry much about though.
Thanks for the info; glad to learn that it will keep on updating. I have Chromium to fall back on if something goes wrong, so not too worried. It's better to get those bugs out now, before final...

Frogs Hair
February 28th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I have Namoroka 3.6.15 pre and I still regularly updates even as FF4 nears release . With the PPA you will be ahead as far as updates go.

The PPA also allows me to install FF4 from time to time to see how it's coming along. Adding the PPA will update the current Firefox release to Namoroka.

teejay17
March 1st, 2011, 10:58 PM
It's called Minefield, and has a blue logo. Will this change to Firefox, with an orange logo, when the final release comes down the line?

Frogs Hair
March 1st, 2011, 11:24 PM
It's called Minefield, and has a blue logo. Will this change to Firefox, with an orange logo, when the final release comes down the line?

If you stay with Minefeild the Logo won't change . When FF 4 is released with a new release of Ubuntu then you will see the familiar branding and logo. Minefield is a development release .

teejay17
March 2nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
If you stay with Minefeild the Logo won't change . When FF 4 is released with a new release of Ubuntu then you will see the familiar branding and logo. Minefield is a development release .
Well it's not a real big deal I guess. It's only a logo and a name, after all. As they say, a rose by any other name...

Frogs Hair
March 2nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
The Ubuntu Firefox extension will at some point work with Minefeild , so it will be possible to use the Ubuntu start page if you want.