PDA

View Full Version : Ever lost your cell phone?

sikander3786
February 28th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Just a few hours ago, I lost my shiny Samsung Corby including all the contacts, texts and images and most of the part wasn't backed up anywhere else. Luckily though, the phone was password protected and I hope it is not easy to hack the password. Or is it?

It doesn't feel good at all :-(

I know I forgot it at the coffee shop table this evening but the staff says they didn't find one. And it doesn't come with a tracker either ](*,)

I believe some of us have lost their cell phones. How? And how did you re-build your contacts then? Such a pain...

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 09:30 PM
It took me a while to get into mobile phones, I really thought I didn't need one and all these people were silly saying they couldn't live without one... until I lost mine that is!

It was my 2nd ever phone and either it was a) dropped on a busy Birmingham street or b) extracted from my pocket by some ruffian. Whatever the circumstances I was not prepared for realisation that I was using my cell phone as not just my major communication device but as my phone book, clock, alarm and general note taker.

I missed important calls, spent literally weeks recovering the numbers, had to sort out a morning alarm and of course had to buy a new phone and distribute the new number.

After that experience I keep my filofax up to date with numbers and contacts, in recent times I backup my phone to my pc.

sikander3786
February 28th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I learn the lesson and am thinking of backing up my phone on daily basis now onwards :D

Luckily for me, it was a GSM connection so I will receive a duplicate SIM tomorrow with the same number and won't need to redistribute my number.

I also have the habit of using my phone as an alarm clock and note taker. I think most of us extract the most out of cell phones using all the functions.

AllRadioisDead
February 28th, 2011, 09:58 PM
how did you re-build your contacts then? Such a pain...
It's nice to know that if this happened to me it wouldn't really matter since Google keeps my contacts in the cloud.

sikander3786
February 28th, 2011, 10:01 PM
It's nice to know that if this happened to me it wouldn't really matter since Google keeps my contacts in the cloud.
I attempted to do so once but it was not easy to sync them with Google from a java phone. Or might be I was lazy to work on that. Still cursing the moment when I decided to give up...

NCLI
February 28th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I lost my Nexus One a week after I got it. I immediately ordered a new one, and thanks to Google & WaveSecure, I didn't lose anything, and the phone was completely locked down.

sikander3786
February 28th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I lost my Nexus One a week after I got it. I immediately ordered a new one, and thanks to Google & WaveSecure, I didn't lose anything, and the phone was completely locked down.
I am also trying to get my hands on an Android phone preferably Samsung Galaxy Tab. It would be easy to keep everything backed up on the cloud. But only when budget allows me.

AllRadioisDead
February 28th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I am also trying to get my hands on an Android phone preferably Samsung Galaxy Tab. It would be easy to keep everything backed up on the cloud. But only when budget allows me.

>Trying to get hands on Android phone
>Preferably Galaxy Tab
>Phone
>Galaxy Tab
>nope.jpg

sikander3786
February 28th, 2011, 10:26 PM
>Preferably Galaxy Tab
>Phone
>Galaxy Tab
>nope.jpg
It is just a tablet?

AllRadioisDead
February 28th, 2011, 10:30 PM
It is just a tablet?

By default, yes. You can hack it to make calls, but my point was that a tablet is not meant to be a phone.

Habeouscorpus
February 28th, 2011, 10:32 PM
>Preferably Galaxy Tab
>Phone
>Galaxy Tab
>nope.jpg

You can't greentext on Ubuntu Forums ;)

sikander3786
February 28th, 2011, 10:48 PM
By default, yes. You can hack it to make calls, but my point was that a tablet is not meant to be a phone.
Right. But I'll surely go for an Android one. I believe I saw a few HTC one's few days ago.

johntaylor1887
February 28th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I think most of us extract the most out of cell phones using all the functions.
I've noticed the opposite.

gintovan
March 1st, 2011, 12:06 AM
Cell phone, what's that!? or you mean the android paperweight in my drawer that I only use as alarm clock and maybe a call a week... Yeah I would be devastated to lose it ;)

ubuntu-freak
March 1st, 2011, 12:11 AM
Only lost a mobile phone once. It was the first, or one of the first 3G models, an NEC 3G phone. Left it in a disabled lavy. Wasn't a happy chappy after. Insurance wouldn't pay out either, cos I took too long to report it or some bollocks.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
March 1st, 2011, 12:17 AM
I only ever use disposable £30 prepaid phones, so I'm not all that concerned about losing them. In fact, it's probably a good idea to replace them often, as far as your privacy is concerned. They cost less than the monthly data plan for the Apple iGroan, so no problem there.

pricetech
March 1st, 2011, 12:20 AM
Never lost a cell phone, or keys, or folding money.

But I do have my contacts "backed up" so to speak in a spreadsheet.

mazato
March 1st, 2011, 12:32 AM
Use to have an LG dare that I lost in a park. I called my # to see if someody had found it but the villian/bastard never answered, I also sent text messages, but nothing. Just a week ago before I lost it i was going to install an app for tracking ;-(
I just had to send emails to my family and friends for my new #. At the end I got an HTC Incredible. and man this time if somebody dares to steal it I will on them with bats and everything and then call the cops!!