PDA

View Full Version : Your moderators keep jailing my posts

GT-Force
February 28th, 2011, 08:45 PM
What is the point of a forum, if you'll not let people voice their opinions?

GT-Force
February 28th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I posted the following message, and I was told that my message was jailed since it included insults.

If describing what your moderators do, or who people indeed are, in words is considered an insult, then you should question what your moderators do, or how some of your forum users behave (attitude issues); not how and why the forum users like myself put them into words.

Moreover, when a linux-nerd forum user singing your tune makes fun of, or insults, a non-linux nerd user, that's ok, but vice-versa is not? Talk about running double-standards. If you read the replies to my first post, you'll see what I mean.

Here's my latest post that is jailed. I'd like to know what you consider insulting in this text:

Welcome to the hostile forums?

Hello again,

After my honest-to-God first post, all I got was a slap in the face for not being one of you. No surprises there, I was expecting that indeed. When you go to a fan site and voice your honest opinion about what they are fan of is not being that good, what else would you expect really?

What I did not expect was my posts being pre-screened and deleted before even being posted. I guess this is what happens when you give power to a Brit: They try to shut you up and try to shove what they think is true down your throat. FREEEDOOOOM! :)

Anyway, since you closed the thread that I started, saying "having said what you wanted to say thread closed" which I translate as "if you are not going to say what we'd like you to say, we'll not let you say it", I have to address the replies here in a new thread.

snowpine: I know that I would have received a reply if I asked, but as I already said, I already found the way to do it, which was through the command line, which, in a modern OS is unacceptable IMO; and that was the point I was trying to make.

tgalati4: Well, this is the snobbish attitude I hate in Linux environment. I obviuously do know how to type since I posted a message, right? Anyway, bad jokes aside, as I just said in reply to snowpie, in a modern OS, you should not need to TYPE if you can do it with a single click in the GUI. Why? Because it is more intuitive, and you yourself (by browsing the relevant menus) can figure it out how to do it, instead of needing to KNOW the exact command and its parameters.

P4man: When I said Linux as a mainstream OS, obviously I meant as a PC OS. And do you know why it is so successful as a "smartphone, tablet, it runs on your router, it will be in your next tv and/or settop box, it works behind the scenes in your car", because in NONE of these, you will NEED to launch a terminal and type commands to do something! EVERYTHING in these is done through a GUI, and a simpler touch-supporting one (instead of a more sophisticated one requiring a precise pointer such as a mouse pointer). And that was my point. If you think about it, you'll realize that you are indeed supporting my point, not showing evidence against it.
And my graphics card is an on-board Intel, neither an nVidia, nor an ATI. And something as basic as setting up your default monitor should be a part of the OS itself, not the graphics driver. nVidia is doing the Linux developers' job here.

Caboose885: When you say "I don't want to see Linux as a mainstream OS", I completely understand your stand, and I am fine with it. My issue was with the people crying "Why don't more people use linux?". And my answer says why.

grahammechanical: Ah ha ha, you're so funny. Don't try a career in comedy though, stick with being a linux nerd, ok? (This is not an insult, just stating a fact. I call myself a geek all the time, and yes, in public).

Wesley Dawson: I agree with you, too on that Linux is supposed to be a customizable experience. Yet, when you CHOOSE to install it as a GUI OS with all of its bells and whistles (i.e., as a bloated modern FULL OS), it should be intuitive to use, giving the user what the user chose, in this case, an OS that can be controlled through a GUI. My complaint was, I CHOSE to install the full GUI version, and I cannot even setup my default monitor. That just is not acceptable IMO.

howefield: So, moving the thread here was not enough (with which I do not have any problem), you also had to close it? Way to welcome a new guy by shutting him up, if he's not singing your tune. Sorry, but the best feedback is negative feedback, since it helps you make things better. You better learn how to take and handle criticism properly, instead of trying to shut it up and ignore it. That's how MS made Windows, by running User satisfaction programs, and listening to them, and then giving them what they wanted. How else do you think they have the 90-something percent of the market?

Wesley Dawson: My computer was online during installation. This just is a feature that MUST be in the OS, but is NOT. Therefore, my computer being online does not change it.

Thank you all for your time in writing your opinions, if I agree with them, or not.

KiwiNZ
February 28th, 2011, 09:20 PM
OK , coming in here and attacking staff is NOT going to help your cause at all.

Are you going to calm down and discuss this in an adult rational manner?

If not I will end things now.

GT-Force
February 28th, 2011, 09:35 PM
OK , coming in here and attacking staff is NOT going to help your cause at all.

Are you going to calm down and discuss this in an adult rational manner?

If not I will end things now.

Once again, I did not attack staff, I described what they did.

Have you read my original message and all the replies before writing this?

I am close to 40 years old, with 2 graduate degrees! I am most likely more of a rational adult than both you and your moderators. And in that, just like the mods, you also fail to explain what I am doing wrong, and instead throwing threats around. To me, that sounds much more like a juvenile attitude. Now, you will most likely consider this an insult, too, although you just basically said the same thing to me yourself.

And what do you mean by "End things?". Could you please be more descriptive, which seems to be a lacking pattern in moderating these forums?

Thank you.

KiwiNZ
February 28th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I have read the messages you have sent staff, I have read the above post, given your attitude I have decided that you have decided that you do not wish to follow the Code of conduct you agreed to to when joining this Forum. Therefore , I am terminating your membership.

Joeb454
February 28th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Once again, I did not attack staff, I described what they did. The tone in which you wrote your replies was passive aggressive and confrontational. You can get your point across in much better ways than the way you chose.

I am close to 40 years old, with 2 graduate degrees! I am most likely more of a rational adult than both you and your moderators. Here you would do well not to assume.

And in that, just like the mods, you also fail to explain what I am doing wrong, and instead throwing threats around. To me, that sounds much more like a juvenile attitude. Now, you will most likely consider this an insult, too, although you just basically said the same thing to me yourself.

As noted above, your posting style is the issue here. The way you are posting makes things come across as an insult, where you perhaps don't intend them too.

And what do you mean by "End things?". Could you please be more descriptive, which seems to be a lacking pattern in moderating these forums?

Thank you.

Ultimately, posting as you have been would lead to a ban. This would likely be a temporary ban initially, but depends on the actions you take.

Note that I am not threatening to ban you in any way, but rather asking you to re-evaluate your posting style.

KiwiNZ
March 3rd, 2011, 12:27 AM
For clarity on this one. I have been some what busy and meant to come back to this thread.

Some of the moderating Staff and myself received private messages that were rude and aggressive. For me I can live with it, but for the staff receiving such messages I have zero tolerance as do the other Forum Council Members.

The Moderating Staff give their time freely and put in many hours of unpaid work to maintain and to provide these Forums to our members, they do not need to endure attacks and rude messages via the private messaging or any other media.

I do not intend to copy those messages here but needless to say they were sufficient for me to conclude that the member concerned was not going to follow the rules of this Forum and I was left with no alternative but to terminate the membership.