PDA

View Full Version : A good article by Charlie Brooker on Apple

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 02:52 PM
The Guardian Website (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/28/charlie-brooker-pfroblem-with-macs)

Coming from a Mac user this is quite an insightful piece, it also sums up some of my hatred for the glowing fruit.

zekopeko
February 28th, 2011, 05:01 PM
The Guardian Website (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/28/charlie-brooker-pfroblem-with-macs)

Coming from a Mac user this is quite an insightful piece, it also sums up some of my hatred for the glowing fruit.

His whole syncing rant is hilarious. Especially in the light of him saying that Mac users should "learn how proper computers work" (implying he is a "proper computer user that knows how to work with them). All the while missing a pretty visible option when you plug an iDevice in iTunes called "Manually manage music and videos"[1]. It's freakin hilarious :lolflag:

[1]http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1202

BbUiDgZ
February 28th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Microsoft gets a lot of stick for producing clunky software. But even during the dark days of the animated paperclip, or the infuriating ".docx" Word extension, they never shat out anything as abominable as iTunes – a hideous binary turd that transforms the sparkling world of music and entertainment into a stark, unintuitive spreadsheet

its funny cos its true

Grenage
February 28th, 2011, 05:18 PM

That article just makes the author seem capricious and whimsical; a man who has no solid reasoning behind his bias, and is actively looking for something to complain about.

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I haven't found anybody that thinks i-tunes is a shining example of modern well developed software, its funny to talk to Apple fanboys on the subject as they will do anything to distract and avoid the discussion :D

I think what Charlie is getting at is that Apple are not faultless, believe me I have seen very advanced Apple users struggle with sync'ing and although you can "manually manage music" have you tried it? Its a horrible system! I managed to scrape i-tunes out of my XP system a while ago and believe me that was a chore in itself!

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 05:31 PM
a man who has no solid reasoning behind his bias, and is actively looking for something to complain about.

Really?!? I think he puts it quite well exactly what his problem is with Apple and the fact he admits owning Apple products and initially liking them shows that he is speaking from experience. I'm finding it really hard to understand your statement on the basis of reading the article.

Grenage
February 28th, 2011, 05:33 PM
My wife uses a Macbook and iphone, and she's had no problems.

While itunes can be a pain in the ***, it does what is does quite well - in my opinion. That said, I don't use Macs, and only run itunes when I need to update my iphone.

Really?!? I think he puts it quite well exactly what his problem is with Apple and the fact he admits owning Apple products and initially liking them shows that he is speaking from experience. I'm finding it really hard to understand your statement on the basis of reading the article.

He hates Macs, he hates Macs more, he likes Macs, then he likes but bitches about Macs.

He knew what he was signing up for, and as zekopeko points out, his main rant is somewhat invalid. His whine about Apple wanting money from Amazon is pointless; if you don't like something - don't buy it. It's classic journalism by someone who has nothing interesting or original to talk about.

It's Journalism trolling.

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 05:46 PM
My wife uses a Macbook and iphone, and she's had no problems.

While itunes can be a pain in the ***, it does what is does quite well - in my opinion. That said, I don't use Macs, and only run itunes when I need to update my iphone.

Thats all cool and you personally are having no problems with your Apple experience. However that does not explain why you think Charlie Brooker is talking from a biased point of view and that he is looking for problems? I got the feeling from the article that he is fact more disappointed that his Apple products haven't lived up to their promise rather than just another ranter just shouting 'ITS SH#T, ITS SH#T, ITS SH#T!' he does explain why he feels let down.

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 05:48 PM
It's Journalism trolling.

I don't think so

Grenage
February 28th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Thats all cool and you personally are having no problems with your Apple experience. However that does not explain why you think Charlie Brooker is talking from a biased point of view and that he is looking for problems? I got the feeling from the article that he is fact more disappointed that his Apple products haven't lived up to their promise rather than just another ranter just shouting 'ITS SH#T, ITS SH#T, ITS SH#T!' he does explain why he feels let down.

Oh no, I think Macs are Bilge - If I was given a Mac, I'd sell it. That's my opinion, based on what I want to do, how I'm used to doing things, and an inevitable bit of Human bias.

To quote the Author:

I hate Macs. I have always hated Macs. I hate people who use Macs. I even hate people who don't use Macs but sometimes wish they did. Macs are glorified Fisher-Price activity centres for adults; computers for scaredy cats too nervous to learn how proper computers work; computers for people who earnestly believe in feng shui.

He went from this, to buying an iphone, ipad and Mac? What the hell was he basing his opinion on, adverts and the people that like them?

Oh come on now! You must be more intelligent than that remark! Please?

Don't count on it. ;)

Still, the article obviously prompted discussions such as this, and a link back to his blog, so I suppose it's served its purpose.

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Oh no, I think Macs are Bilge - If I was given a Mac, I'd sell it. That's my opinion, based on what I want to do, how I'm used to doing things, and an inevitable bit of Human bias.

I don't like Macs either as I have had to use them professionally before and they were trouble, but I can see why people like them especially now you have a raft of other products that fall into the Apple family.

He went from this, to buying an iphone, ipad and Mac? What the hell was he basing his opinion on, adverts and the people that like them?

Well you kind of answered my point, he is basing his opinion on being sucked into using the products and then feeding back his problems with said products. He is coming from the point of a disgruntled user.

Still, the article obviously prompted discussions such as this, and a link back to his blog, so I suppose it's served its purpose.

Isn't that the modus operandi of a journalist?

Ctrl-Alt-F1
February 28th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Define good article. The guy whines about Macs the whole time and then states that he doesn't hate them, in fact he uses them. So...he's still a sheeple. He just wants to pretend like he's not.

That was pure rubbish. His language was pretty vile and there were no redeeming qualities for the article. Didn't learn anything.

Grenage
February 28th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Well you kind of answered my point, he is basing his opinion on being sucked into using the products and then feeding back his problems with said products. He is coming from the point of a disgruntled user.

I'd like to think that if I had such vehement hatred for something, I'd have a good enough reason not to then go and buy it (three times over).

Isn't that the modus operandi of a journalist?

Touché, I just prefer Journalism to be more impartial news, and less opinion.

Dixon Bainbridge
February 28th, 2011, 06:34 PM
That article just makes the author seem capricious and whimsical; a man who has no solid reasoning behind his bias, and is actively looking for something to complain about.

Well duh :) He's writing to get a reaction. That's how he sells copy and maintains his job. Who the hell would read a columnist that illicts no reaction?

I love Charlie Brookers rants.

ouché, I just prefer Journalism to be more impartial news, and less opinion

No such thing. All journalism is subjective.

pelle.k
February 28th, 2011, 06:40 PM
No one uses terms like "sync" in real life. Not even C3PO. If I sync my DVD collection with yours, will I end up with one, two, or no copies of Santa Claus the Movie? It's like trying to work out the consequences of time travel, but less fun, and with absolutely no chance of being adapted into a successful screenplay.

LOL, this is so true. Well put. Drag'n'drop FTW.

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Define good article. The guy whines about Macs the whole time and then states that he doesn't hate them, in fact he uses them. So...he's still a sheeple. He just wants to pretend like he's not.

That was pure rubbish. His language was pretty vile and there were no redeeming qualities for the article. Didn't learn anything.

A good article entertains, challenges your view and causes discussion.
You can not like something and still use them, it isn't a crime! I had to use a Mac for my job, didn't like it but tough!

Vile language? Oh come on, it is very mild swears compared to my everyday conversations, because somebody uses a curse doesn't mean lack of intelligence or that the point is invalid.

RiceMonster
February 28th, 2011, 07:20 PM
His whole syncing rant is hilarious. Especially in the light of him saying that Mac users should "learn how proper computers work" (implying he is a "proper computer user that knows how to work with them). All the while missing a pretty visible option when you plug an iDevice in iTunes called "Manually manage music and videos"[1]. It's freakin hilarious :lolflag:

[1]http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1202

Even with enabling that option on the iPhone, you can still only add music from one computer. It's very annoying. Probably the only thing I really don't like about the iPhone.

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Even with enabling that option on the iPhone, you can still only add music from one computer. It's very annoying. Probably the only thing I really don't like about the iPhone.

I have nearly been tempted by both i-pod and i-phone even with my dislike of Apple (thats how I can understand Charlie Brooker getting Apple products) but both times the clincher to me not getting either is the uselessness of i-tunes.

Also I notice that most of my friends that own i-phones have them jailbroken, thus invalidating the warranty and opening the door to future problems.

KiwiNZ
February 28th, 2011, 07:45 PM
An "I.Journalist" or that film that floats on the surface of rural ponds publicly announces he has no clue how to use a Mac or iPhone properly and people sing his praises.... amazing.:rolleyes:

If the same was written about a feature in Ubuntu within 2 hours the thread would be 8 pages long of posts calling for the Trolls head on a stake.:rolleyes:

Ooooops hang on just realized I am logged into UF

RiceMonster
February 28th, 2011, 07:49 PM
An "I.Journalist" or that film that floats on the surface of rural ponds publicly announces he has no clue how to use a Mac or iPhone properly and people sing his praises.... amazing.:rolleyes:

If the same was written about a feature in Ubuntu within 2 hours the thread would be 8 pages long of posts calling for the Trolls head on a stake.:rolleyes:

Ha, very true indeed.

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 07:58 PM

The way I see it there is a big wide chasm of difference here between an Apple rant and the equivalent with Ubuntu. For one you pay a lot a money for the privilege of using an Apple product, with Ubuntu and Linux its not as pricey. Secondly with i-pod/pad/phone you are forced to use i-tunes, now with Ubuntu you can look for another piece of software that works better, file a bug report to get the feature fixed or fix the problem yourself.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
February 28th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Hey, now wait. That's exactly what I was trying to do...
:D

However, I was more concerned with his terrible writing than I was with whether he was actually right or wrong.

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM
However, I was more concerned with his terrible writing than I was with whether he was actually right or wrong.

Without sounding like Mr Brookers lover I strongly disagree with this, I think is writing is excellent. I have been a professional writer for both print media and copy writing for marketing and what he writes is incredibly well done. But don't take my work for it, he was crowned Columnist of the year 2009 at The British Press Awards for that very column he writes for The Guardian.

Dixon Bainbridge
February 28th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I guess there are alot of people that aren't famliar with Mr Brookers oeuvre.

Hippytaff
February 28th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Brooker is a genius (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHun58mz3vI)

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 08:46 PM
He is a caustic fellow and sometimes I don't agree with his opinion, however its always an interesting read and I like the way he does rant but in such a way that the point doesn't get lost. Anyone can rant but to make it entertaining and different that is the really clever way that Charlie Brooker writes.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
February 28th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Brooker is a genius (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHun58mz3vI)

Okay that one was pretty good. I'm assuming Brooker is typically associated with satire then. Perhaps I was taking the article too seriously.

Hippytaff
February 28th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Okay that one was pretty good. I'm assuming Brooker is typically associated with satire then. Perhaps I was taking the article too seriously.

:-)

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 08:58 PM

I think he meant what he said in the article but with a bit of added extra bile to make it more interesting!

You should check out Newswipe and Screenwipe, again some of his opinions I don't agree with but the way he puts his point across and his observations on media are priceless.

KiwiNZ
February 28th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Without sounding like Mr Brookers lover I strongly disagree with this, I think is writing is excellent. I have been a professional writer for both print media and copy writing for marketing and what he writes is incredibly well done. But don't take my work for it, he was crowned Columnist of the year 2009 at The British Press Awards for that very column he writes for The Guardian.

Just some of the "professional journalism" he uses...

"it piddle gold"

" iTunes' tight, leathery anus."

"wipe the drool from your chin."

Couldn't be bothered looking for more shining examples of prime Tabloid E.Press.

Industry awards are just group hug and self gratification sessions.

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 09:08 PM

"it piddle gold"

Couldn't be bothered looking for more shining examples of prime Tabloid E.Press.

All amazing quotes that I wish came from my mouth! :D

KiwiNZ
February 28th, 2011, 09:10 PM

My position and the Code of Conduct stops me from responding

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 09:11 PM
my position and the code of conduct stops me from responding

lol!

Dixon Bainbridge
February 28th, 2011, 10:08 PM

"it piddle gold"

FFS, lighten up. It's just a bit of fun.

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 10:11 PM
ffs, lighten up. It's just a bit of fun.

+1

BigSilly
February 28th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Charlie Brooker is an absolute genius and I'll have nothing said against him. Has anyone here been watching "How TV Ruined Your Life"? Don't say it didn't. It did. :D Excellent show. I wanted to burn my set after watching it.

Then again, I wanted to burn my set before watching it. TV...

/shudders

Hippytaff
February 28th, 2011, 10:15 PM
FFS, lighten up. It's just a bit of fun.

Fun with a message!

You don't have to agree with the message to enjoy the fun, though it helps ;-)

Evil-Ernie
February 28th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Charlie Brooker is an absolute genius and I'll have nothing said against him. Has anyone here been watching "How TV Ruined Your Life"? Don't say it didn't. It did. :D Excellent show. I wanted to burn my set after watching it.

Then again, I wanted to burn my set before watching it. TV...

/shudders

Agree entirely, How TV Ruined Your Life reaffirmed him to me after I really didn't think much of 'You Have Been Watching', also I do like his contribution in 10o'clock Live but I still feel its just a regurgitation of what he did with Screen/News Wipe.

alexfish
February 28th, 2011, 10:30 PM

un edited version

abc dddddd efghi

jklmnopq rstuv, wxyzabcd efghij

klmno pqr stuvw xyza bcde fghijk

abcdefgh ijklmn opq rstu vwxyz abc def ghij klmnopqrstuvw dddddd xyzabcdef

Quadunit404
February 28th, 2011, 10:45 PM

And if it was about Windows, 16 pages of Microsoft fanboys calling for the author of the article to be burned alive, then his lifeless, charred body beheaded with a flaming guillotine and his head placed on a stake, on fire ;)

ubuntu-freak
March 1st, 2011, 01:57 AM
Anyone who doesn't like Charlie Brooker or find him hilarious is someone I hope to never meet or even say "excuse me" to. Apart from my mother...she's old school.

*snip* political video removed

Dr. C
March 1st, 2011, 02:26 AM
[QUOTE=ubuntu-freak;10506778]Anyone who doesn't like Charlie Brooker or find him hilarious is someone I hope to never meet or even say "excuse me" to. Apart from my mother...she's old school.

*snip* political video removed

The YouTube clip is really funny and the Apple article is bang on.

Evil-Ernie
March 1st, 2011, 03:02 AM
Ohhh that's a real good one!

KiwiNZ
March 1st, 2011, 03:19 AM
Ohhh that's a real good one! He is putting the boot in quite viciously to Gaddafi, which I am all for.

See Cafe Banner....

"Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues."

Please keep politics away from here, thank you.

bvtest
March 1st, 2011, 03:44 AM
I have to say, atleast the windows kernel is original unlike mac's which is just a modified BSD kernel. Which ultimantly is a modified linux kernel.

RiceMonster
March 1st, 2011, 04:05 AM
I have to say, atleast the windows kernel is original unlike mac's which is just a modified BSD kernel. Which ultimantly is a modified linux kernel.

Ummm... no. BSD is not a modified linux kernel.

Evil-Ernie
March 1st, 2011, 04:09 AM
Ummm... no. BSD is not a modified linux kernel.

Beat me to it!

Anyways that's actually one of the good things about Mac OS and why its quite reliable.

Dr. C
March 1st, 2011, 05:10 AM
Beat me to it!

Anyways that's actually one of the good things about Mac OS and why its quite reliable.

Mac OS X is actually a very reliable operating system. That is not the issue here. The real issue with Apple is the closed, locked down, and censored ecosystem that has fortunately already attracted the attention of anti trust regulators in both the United States and the European Union. In particular with respect to its impact on publishers.

http://mhpbooks.com/mobylives/?p=28416
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/18/us-apple-doj-idUSTRE71H4DU20110218
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704657704576150350669475800.html?m od=googlenews_wsj

beetleman64
March 1st, 2011, 09:36 PM
I read his article from 2009, just before Windows 7 launched. I particularly enjoyed his description of Windows, although I probably cannot quote it here!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/sep/28/charlie-brooker-microsoft-mac-windows

Paqman
March 1st, 2011, 09:58 PM

Watch/read more Charlie Brooker and you'll see how this statement is both completely right, and simultaneously misses the point.

divergex
March 2nd, 2011, 01:04 AM
After reading the article, I was left with the feeling that the author hates the fact that he actually likes Apple products.

Of course lots of techie types (myself included) like to do things their own way, which runs afoul of Apple's "we know how we want it done and you must do it that way too" mentality. That being said, there is an elegance to Apple's products and UI that works well for me. I must be one of the lucky ones who has never had an issue with iTunes. I have moved my library from PC to PC to PC to PC to MacBook Pro with no issues. OS X has not limited my productivity in an way. But like any other device or product, it's not perfect. I still prefer Ubuntu because of the ability to get down into the system and tweak just about every little detail.

Using a Mac is a choice, and if that choice means giving up a bit of freedom, and giving up that bit is against what you believe in, then by all means make a different choice. The author sounds like he wants it both ways.

Evil-Ernie
March 2nd, 2011, 05:01 AM
After reading the article, I was left with the feeling that the author hates the fact that he actually likes Apple products.

Its more than that, he hates he has bought into the Apple ideal and then been disappointed by the so called 'perfect' products, coupled with that he has a separate hatred for the Apple fanboys with the cult surrounding the corporation.

I would love Charlie Brooker to try out Linux and report on his experience, although I suspect the result would cause Linux fanboy fraternity to break a few blood vessels :D

Using a Mac is a choice, and if that choice means giving up a bit of freedom, and giving up that bit is against what you believe in, then by all means make a different choice. The author sounds like he wants it both ways.

True we have choice in our lives. Windows, Mac, stapling your extremities to an ornate walnut desk are all choices... however I would not recommend them, especially the last 2 ;)

Yep he does want everything his way, don't we all? I'd love the usefulness and freedom of Ubuntu with the software and hardware support of Windows all encapsulated in a well designed Mac style box but that's not going to happen.

johntaylor1887
March 2nd, 2011, 05:55 AM
My favorite part: "Apple continually attempts to scrape even more money from anything that might conceivably pass through iTunes' tight, leathery anus."

I like my ipod touch, but that's as far as I go. And if I could not use it in ubuntu via gtkpod, it would go bye bye very quickly. And don't get me started on iTunes. I've never seen a more convoluted, aggravating application in all my life.

aschwerin.moses
March 2nd, 2011, 06:35 AM
I hate apple products but they are good. I dont know, i simple dont. The OS is nothing great, infact I can do more on Linux and Windows. Sure can do the same stuff mac but its not fun, its fun in Linux and Windows. But the user experience is good.

I guess apple's approach is different from what other computer/electronic manufacturers have. They keep it SIMPLE, provide RICH USER EXPERIENCE (even if less/restrictive) and make their products look really BEAUTIFUL.

Is that computing? well may be for some and not for the others. I hate apple products but they are good. Would i make an iDevice a part of my daily life. NO

KiwiNZ
March 2nd, 2011, 06:44 AM
From the Code of Conduct....

"Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them"

As this has moved from the writer and his article to discussing Apple and "Fanboys" etc I am going to close this thread.