PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where to find .iso?

bloodshot13
February 28th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I'm still learning ubuntu and I'm trying to install windows7 in either vm player or virtualbox. I've downloaded the .iso(took 2hrs:() and now I'm not sure how to find it in ubuntu to either burn to c.d. or use virtually. Ubuntu used "Archive manager" as default for downloading. I'm not sure if this was correct to use,as I was thinking ubuntu is alot smarter than I. Where do I go to find the downloaded files?(and yes it's legal). I also downloaded the binary file of vmware, and again not sure what to do. I looked for windows files in <search< files, then alot of files came up, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Help me please! I'm sorry if this is newbie territory, but I'm a newb:D.

runeh76
February 28th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Home/Downloads

bloodshot13
February 28th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Home/Downloads

Nothing there.

Frogs Hair
February 28th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Check the Archive Manager on the accessories menu.

cascade9
February 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I could be wrong on this, but here goes anyway.

If you let 'archive manager' open the file on downloading (it wont connect to the net, firefox or whatever browser you were using still does the d/ling) then it should have opened archive manager when the file finished d/ling. Not that would help, you dont want to open the .iso at all.

You should have chosen 'save this file' not 'open with ....'. If you are lucky, the .iso might still be in /tmp.

BbUiDgZ
February 28th, 2011, 03:33 PM
in terminal do

sudo apt-get install locate
sudo updatedb
sudo locate *.iso

bloodshot13
February 28th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I'm not at my computer right now but I will be around 7pm est. Thanks for all the posts. I'm crossing my fingers I don't have to re-download it.

bloodshot13
March 1st, 2011, 02:03 AM
@frogs hair- No "Archive Manager" in accessories. @cascade-I'm not sure, I look in "search files" and put windows 7 and nothing comes up. I put in just "windows" and some come up but nothing the near the size of 3.5gigs. @BbUiDgZ I did that and nothing came up after :
sudo locate *.iso
I'm thinking I'm gonna have to download again and this time "Save file". I'm not sure but I don't think it gives you a choice where to save it. If that is the case does it automatically save it to "downloads" file?

Frogs Hair
March 1st, 2011, 02:24 AM
Sorry bloodshot13 , the Archive Mounter needs to be added to the accessories menu from the main menu I had added it in October and forgotten.

bloodshot13
March 1st, 2011, 04:40 AM
Sorry bloodshot13 , the Archive Mounter needs to be added to the accessories menu from the main menu I had added it in October and forgotten.
That's o.k.. I've re-downloaded windows7 and I "Saved" it this time:D. Now I'm trying to install vmware player 3.1.2 and I'm not sure how to make it executable. I'm trying w/ the help of this site- http://resalxh.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/vmware-player-3-1-1-on-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat/, but term. says "chmod: cannot access `VMware-Player-3.1.2-301548.x86_64.bundle': No such file or directory. How do I make it executable?
I'm putting chmod +x VMware-Player-3.1.2-301548.x86_64.bundle in term.