PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Terminal command to restart/shutdown computer?

nrundy
February 28th, 2011, 01:54 AM
I was playing with the Gnome-shell and my gui crashed. I was stuck in full-screen Terminal (i.e., Ctrl Alt F2) but I could not figure out how to shutdown/restart the computer.

Anybody know if there's a command for this that works from within Terminal?

haveaswiss
February 28th, 2011, 01:55 AM
To restart just type:

sudo reboot

nrundy
February 28th, 2011, 01:58 AM
thx man :)

makes me feel stupid but I was using Help and everything. just couldn't figure it out :)

doas777
February 28th, 2011, 01:58 AM
here is some info on the shutdown command.
also note at the bottom links for 'halt', 'poweroff', and 'reboot'.

nrundy
February 28th, 2011, 02:12 AM
hey thanks!

how do you get a prompt to appear? I typed something and a question mark appeared. And whatever I do I can't get the ol Terminal prompt to show again. I press Esc and it says ^[

i suck at Terminal. hehe

nrundy
February 28th, 2011, 02:16 AM
deleted

nrundy
February 28th, 2011, 11:38 PM
someone's gotta know how to get back to command prompt. Anybody? Do you know why how to get back to prompt?

Jose Catre-Vandis
March 1st, 2011, 12:55 AM
Try

CTRL+ALT+1 (or 2 or 3 or 4)to give you a new virtual terminal login prompt, or you may just need to login from where you are. All else fails, and you can't get control of the machine,its hold the power button in on the PC for a few seconds to do a hard shutdown.

There is another way of pressing a long list of buttons in a row (something to do with elephants???) but it fails me at the moment

Preferred shutdown command is:
sudo shutdown -h 0
Preferred reboot command is:
sudo shutdown -r 0

karmila
March 1st, 2011, 01:33 AM
hey thanks!

how do you get a prompt to appear? I typed something and a question mark appeared. And whatever I do I can't get the ol Terminal prompt to show again. I press Esc and it says ^[

i suck at Terminal. hehe

Usually Q or Ctrl+C works for me :D