PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help Please!

jimmypp
February 27th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Hey
The problem is I installed the 11.04 alpha1 and I installed a 3d driver then it all started to go wrong :( When it told me to restart I did then it loaded to GRUB 1.98 i managed to go into recovery mode on an older Kernal then into Root shell and installed xserver-xorg.
I am now able to get onto my desktop screen but there is nothing just the plain screen no applications no clock I can bring up the turn off menu Ctrl + ALT + Delete but thats about it.
I have a USB Pendrive with Ubuntu 10.10 installed but it wont boot, i have changed the bios to run for removable dev.
Any help would be appreciated.

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Hey
The problem is I installed the 11.04 alpha1 and I installed a 3d driver then it all started to go wrong :( When it told me to restart I did then it loaded to GRUB 1.98 i managed to go into recovery mode on an older Kernal then into Root shell and installed xserver-xorg.

Jimmy,

The 11.04 release just underwent some substantial X changes in the last week. When you installed the 3D driver, that started a waterfall of conflicts

While I applaud your bravery to experiment with an 'under development' release, my I suggest that you use 10.10 as you primary system (on the hard drive) and experiment with 11.04 inside a Virtual Box install? That way you can test without breaking your primary computer.

I will say that the Unity interface is (not yet) working in Vbox, but 11.04 defaults to gnome.

:KS

Rubi1200
February 27th, 2011, 10:20 PM
You should also direct 11.04 related questions to the relevant sub-forum:
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=394