PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Not Accepting My Login Password

Mindswap1
February 27th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I just happened abruptly and I cannot figure out why. Is there anyway I can get around it? I think a software update caused it to not work anymore, but I really don't know.

cloyd
February 27th, 2011, 09:24 PM
The obvious is the caps lock key . . . I've done it a million times, and had trouble finding it a time or two. And sometimes I have fat fingers and just cannot key it in correctly. Somebody else may suggest a way to reset the password with a live cd or usb, but other than that, I don't know . . .

IWantFroyo
February 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Do you use more than one keyboard layout?

lisati
February 27th, 2011, 09:30 PM
+1 for the earlier suggestions. I also find that if I'm in too much of a hurry, the password that I actually type in isn't correct and thus doesn't get accepted.

There are other options, which we can get to if needed.

aolone
June 4th, 2011, 09:21 AM
at the login screen you will see "ubuntu" above the entry field, enter ubuntu for ID and press enter. At the password screen you will see at the bottom a toolbar and click on the arrow near ubuntu and select recovery console. The recovery console will open, move the mouse to the recovery console to enable it, the cursor will become black. Enter: sudo passwd ubuntu and press enter it will ask you to enter a new unix password, max 8 characters, then again it will ask you to confirm. Now for for the password to work you cannot reboot, just type: exit and enter, you will have the login screen again, now enter ubuntu for id and enter the password you have used and you will be able to login. You may have to repeat this every time you boot, or not if you're lucky.

Anuovis
June 4th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Probably your keyboard layout or such, or you simply forgot.

Here is a good guide how to make a new one, I used it a few years ago:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

ihaq2
October 3rd, 2011, 06:07 PM
Ok, I cannot login I tried changing the password via live cd It didn't work for me. I've got only my username and no access to recovery mode. What should I do? Thank you!

ibmorjamn
October 4th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Probably your keyboard layout or such, or you simply forgot.

Here is a good guide how to make a new one, I used it a few years ago:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

I have tried this and like the user "ihaq2" I have a user name and no password. it logs me in automatically but when it goes in sleep mode it asks for a password and no password I use works. I use about 5 passwords for everything but it was set when I installed it.

I have tried the phychocats.net link and I get to a prompt that asked for a maintenance password and no luck there.

ibmorjamn
October 4th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I have tried this and like the user "ihaq2" I have a user name and no password. it logs me in automatically but when it goes in sleep mode it asks for a password and no password I use works. I use about 5 passwords for everything but it was set when I installed it.

I have tried the phychocats.net link and I get to a prompt that asked for a maintenance password and no luck there.

Anyone have a clue, re - install , use install disk or through the whole mess in the round file. Lol :guitar:

ajsoulmate
October 4th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I would save my time and re-install :)