PDA

View Full Version : cloning drives best practices?

greenwom
February 27th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I just got my hand on 20 desktops (all the same model)from a trade-in on a job.
I want to reinstall an OS on them (XP in this case, just to sell them).

I've installed, updated and configured a test computer and want to image that disk and then write that image to all the rest of the machines.

I've been looking at clonezilla but not to sure if it's the right tool for me.

Is there a utility on my Ubuntu install where I can just clone that drive or make an iso without going into a live environment?
And then just write that image to a new drive?

I'm reading a ton of how to's but can't find a Linux based solution that makes sense. Doing this over the network doesn't appeal to me but I'm willing to try

CharlesA
February 27th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Clonezilla will do what you want. They have a server you can run that boots via PXB and can image many machines at once.

Is there a reason you don't want to clone the machines over the network?

You could always take an external hard drive to each machine and boot off a clonezilla cd and image it from that.

EDIT: Depending on how big the image is, you can create an ISO using clonezilla and restore the image by booting off a dvd.

See here (http://www.ehow.com/how_5779033_create-clonezilla-recovery-dvd.html) for how to create the bootable ISO after imaging a machine.

handy
February 27th, 2011, 11:41 PM
When I was in the business I regularly used Symantec Norton Ghost.

If Clonezilla had of been around then I would have used it. It is very intelligent in the way that it uses the various tools that are incorporated into it.

Meaning that it automatically uses the right tools for the right file-system or combination thereof when you have a multi-partitioned drive using a variety of file-systems.

I wouldn't think about using anything else other than Clonezilla.

The Real Dave
February 28th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Clonezilla is fantastic, I swear by it. It should do all you want and more :)

juancarlospaco
February 28th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Clonezilla for H@x0r
Redo-Live for no0bz

sudoer541
February 28th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I just got my hand on 20 desktops (all the same model)from a trade-in on a job.
I want to reinstall an OS on them (XP in this case, just to sell them).

I've installed, updated and configured a test computer and want to image that disk and then write that image to all the rest of the machines.

I've been looking at clonezilla but not to sure if it's the right tool for me.

Is there a utility on my Ubuntu install where I can just clone that drive or make an iso without going into a live environment?
And then just write that image to a new drive?

I'm reading a ton of how to's but can't find a Linux based solution that makes sense. Doing this over the network doesn't appeal to me but I'm willing to try

making multiple copies of Windows xp and selling them is illegal.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
February 28th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Depends where you live. The Copyrights/Patents/DMCA isn't enforceable everywhere.

edit: nvm user is from Chicago. D'oh!

koenn
February 28th, 2011, 11:56 PM

depending on the license,
- multiple copies of Windows xp is illegal, whether you sell them or not -- eg OEM en FPP licenses
- multiple copies of Windows xp is perfectly legal -- I'm sure MS has (or had) a licensing program for hardware vendors that allows them to sell computers with Windows XP installed :)

Bungo Pony
March 1st, 2011, 03:38 AM
Clonezilla will do what you want.

...unless there's bad sectors on the drive. Then it does what every other Linux-based cloning tool does... it hangs :(

handy
March 1st, 2011, 05:09 AM
...unless there's bad sectors on the drive. Then it does what every other Linux-based cloning tool does... it hangs :(

With Clonezilla you go into expert mode & use the rescue option.