PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Deluge won't show up

Jouke S
February 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hey,

I have Deluge installed and it's working fine, adding torrents works as it's supposed to and it downloads fine too.
Problem is that it will not show up no matter what I do.
I'm not getting a Deluge entry in the bottom bar, nor does it show up if I minimize programs.
alt+f2 -> deluge doesn't work either.
It -does- download and upload while I can't access the actual GUI.

Hope someone can help me with this, it's quite annoying

davidmohammed
February 27th, 2011, 08:40 PM
how did you install deluge?

If you cant see the GUI, how are you downloading torrents?

Jouke S
February 27th, 2011, 09:04 PM
how did you install deluge?

If you cant see the GUI, how are you downloading torrents?

Oh, guess I should have added that

If I open a .torrent file it shows me the regular process of adding a torrent (selecting which files you want and clicking Add), after that the window disappears again.
I believe Deluge came pre-installed with Ubuntu 10.10

davidmohammed
February 27th, 2011, 09:15 PM
deluge isnt the default in maverick - it is "transmission"

see here how to install from a ppa (http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/11/how-to-install-deluge-131-in-ubuntu.html).

If you start deluge from a terminal session - are there any errors displayed after you add the torrent file?

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM
If Deluge is running fine, but not showing up in the buttons on the bottom - that is normal.

In the notifications item (installed in the top panel by default, also shows sound and network icons), there is a blue water drop that you can click on to bring up the deluge GUI.

If, however, you don't have the notification item on a panel, well, you need to add it when using either bit torrent client.

So look for the blue water drop next to the sound and network icons...

:KS

Jouke S
February 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM
deluge isnt the default in maverick - it is "transmission"

see here how to install from a ppa (http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/11/how-to-install-deluge-131-in-ubuntu.html).

If you start deluge from a terminal session - are there any errors displayed after you add the torrent file?
I didn't know how to run something from a terminal so I went ahead and uninstalled Deluge via Synaptic and follow the steps on the link (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:deluge-team/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install deluge)
When I came to install deluge I encountered the following error:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Jouke S
February 27th, 2011, 09:27 PM
If Deluge is running fine, but not showing up in the buttons on the bottom - that is normal.

In the notifications item (installed in the top panel by default, also shows sound and network icons), there is a blue water drop that you can click on to bring up the deluge GUI.

If, however, you don't have the notification item on a panel, well, you need to add it when using either bit torrent client.

So look for the blue water drop next to the sound and network icons...

:KS
The panel item didn't bring up the window either, though I may have used the wrong panel? I believe I've added the panel via Applications - Internet and then right click.

Jouke S
February 27th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Sorry for the triple post, the 'unable to lock directory' error is no longer an issue.
I got it working by restarting X (ctrl alt backspace). When adding a new torrent Deluge still doesn't show up, however.
I now understand that this is meant to happen but I would still like to know how I can get to open up properly :D

thanks

Jouke S
February 27th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Still haven't figured it out.
(bump - no longer on first page)

davidmohammed
February 28th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Open a terminal session via Accessories - terminal

then type

deluge-gtk

this should start deluge. Are there any errors observed in the terminal session? If so, copy and paste the output here in a reply between [CODE] tags.

Juvencio
June 2nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
In 10.10 and below just see System Tray Notification top right.
But nothing will show on 11.04

How To Enable System Tray Notification For All Applications In Ubuntu 11.04
By Farshad on May 28 2011

http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/enable-system-tray-notification-for-all-applications-in-ubuntu-11-04/

System tray notifications were just recently enabled in Ubuntu Unity. Unfortunately, the system tray option is not available for many applications and merely works with a few apps such as Mumble, java applications and Wine. In this post we will tell you how to enable system tray for all applications.

Open a Terminal window and enter the below command:

gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['all']"

After that, you can whitelist a certain application if you want, by using the command below. In the given command, make sure you replace “YOUR_APPLICATION”, with the applications name which you wish to add to the whitelist.

USE THIS FOR OTHER APPLICATIONS

gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'Skype', 'hp-systray', 'YOUR_APPLICATION']"

USE THIS FOR DELUGE

gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'Skype', 'hp-systray', 'Deluge']"

Log out and login back for the changes to take effect.

Hope this helps

Cas07
June 4th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Deluge 1.3.1 in the official Ubuntu repo is supplied with an App Indicator so does not require being whitelisted.

Mamoth
July 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Hello.

I am under Lucid 64 bits.

I have the same problem : Deluge works, but not its GUI. The blue drop in the notification area is there and seems to work fine. But any time I try to show up the GUI (by clicking the drop, by right-cliking it and choosing 'show deluge', by typing deluge-gtk in a terminal), it simply does not show up at all and I have no error message.

Now, it used to work fine until recently when I got a problem with X server. I'll skip the details of how it happened, but now my problem with X server is that :

Configuration of X server is locked on "Separate X screen" (I cannot change it in the Nvidia settings GUI).
I have an error message at boot saying
Could not apply the stored configuration for monitors. X server does not support the requested size.

So I suspect the GUI does not show up because of this problem, and that when I'll solve it , I'll solve both at the same time.