PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu from within... Ubuntu...

allbread
February 27th, 2011, 08:14 PM
So I currently have an issue with the 10.10 (64-bit) installer in that it does not recognized the Crucial SSD drive I have installed on my box correctly (long story and ultimately a separate topic but if anyone is interested (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10496536#post10496536)). Initially I thought it was an issue with the hardware and RMA'd the drive however now realize that the likely culprit is the Ubuntu installer itself.

In order to test the rest of the hardware while waiting for the RMA'd drive I installed Ubuntu on a separate partition on the box and thus have a working secondary partition that I can boot from. From within Ubuntu it seems I am able to access/format the SSD correctly (using gparted); it seems that it is only the installer that cannot handle the drive...

Is there a way that I can install Ubuntu on a second partition from within Ubuntu itself?

grahammechanical
February 28th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Has this ever been done before? It sounds scary! I guess that you would have to copy all the files from the CD to a folder on that partition. Or burn the iso image not to a disc but to a folder. Then try to run the install from that folder.

Will it work? I have no idea.

Regards.